Author Topic: Stranded British expat in the Philippines.  (Read 12583 times)

rayterry

Stranded British expat in the Philippines.
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
Hi Everybody.
l am Ray.l have been stranded here in the Philippines for 7 years after being scammed by Legacy lnvestments.
l am seeking any kind of work in order to help my 2 year old son James.
l am currently homeless and broke and seeking help.l am living in Cagayan D'oro.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:43:27 PM by Diba »

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Stranded British expat in the Philippines.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
Ray,
Your story has some truth to it concerning Legacy Investments: http://goo.gl/wnRHon
Sorry to read about your present situation on here!
So why did you stick around for so long in the Philippines and put yourself in the predicament you are in now today? You could have just gone to your British Embassy and asked for assistance to return to your home country so you can start anew!
It would probably just be wise to turn yourself in to immigration and face the consequences, it can't be any worse as to what you're going through now, homeless and unemployed!
Under the new BI program, locals can now turn in over staying foreigners for a P2,000 reward! So do yourself a favor and voluntarily turn yourself in to the nearest BI office near you, JMHO and my only help/advice I can give you from where I am.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:45:29 PM by Diba »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Stranded expat in the Philippines.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
I fully agree with you Art but I would like to add that this forum is not the place for such requests. Ray has an option of resolving his dilemma through the correct channels - unlike the millions of deserving Filipinos whose cases are genuinely hopeless.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:46:12 PM by Diba »

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »
rayterry,  right now there is an amnesty period that does not end until next September, turn your self in....the British embassy will help you.  The British embassy is a lot more forgiving than the Americans are...go for it..Art is correct, if you get turned in by a Filipino that wants the 2k it will be the worse for you...other than advice there is nothing anybody can do to help you...sorry thats a fact of life...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:46:56 PM by Diba »
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
Hi Everybody.
l am Ray.l have been stranded here in the Philippines for 7 years after being scammed by Legacy lnvestments.
l am seeking any kind of work in order to help my 2 year old son James.
l am currently homeless and broke and seeking help.l am living in Cagayan D'oro.

What type of investment Ray?? Was it the 20% interest over 5 year deal covered by PDIC or other investment with as high as 40% interest
with no PDIC cover??
From what I have read,all those covered by PDIC got their money back so Im assuming you got involved in the riskier deal and lost everything.. What made you do that man?? Damn!!
There were a lot of expat agents that were pushing these deals as if they were 100% risk free.. Personally,they disgust me.
The amount of expats and Filipino`s that handed their money over was absolutely astounding.
I`m not sure what good will come of handing yourself in to B.I would do unless you have the cash to pay your unpaid visa`s and fines etc..They will most probably just leave you in a B.I cell.. (or advise you to find the MONEY) and come back when you do!
Forget the British embassy these days..They are merely a visa cash collection agency and can do little to help its citizens get repatriated or be of any real use whatsoever. Cant even renew British passports there anymore..They are absolutely Useless.
I`m not sure what to suggest.. Is there no one at home in the UK that can help you find the cash for your visa overstay?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:47:21 PM by Diba »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
I fully agree with you Art but I would like to add that this forum is not the place for such requests. Ray has an option of resolving his dilemma through the correct channels - unlike the millions of deserving Filipinos whose cases are genuinely hopeless.
He is looking for a job...Not asking for money or financial help!! Whats wrong with that?
Also, I think its a good thing as it offers certain people that are considering Living in the Philippines a real life insight to what can happen if they get ripped off or just go stoned broke here.
The reality is that there is pretty much zero support available..
I personally know a Brit that lost over 100.000 UK Pounds in that scam.. He was promised he would get his money back but he would have to fill in the forms,send them off and wait.. I think he is still waiting now!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:51:40 PM by fred »

Offline tartantbird

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
"...I personally know a Brit that lost over 100.000 UK Pounds in that scam.. He was promised he would get his money back but he would have to fill in the forms,send them off and wait.. I think he is still waiting now!..."

Never invest money that you can't afford to lose- they say.
Anyone with £100,000 to invest in Philippines has to be crazy- why not just enjoy the life and retire. Greed to make more money huh -isn't that enough to have a good life!

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
"...I personally know a Brit that lost over 100.000 UK Pounds in that scam.. He was promised he would get his money back but he would have to fill in the forms,send them off and wait.. I think he is still waiting now!..."

Anyone with £100,000 to invest in Philippines has to be crazy- why not just enjoy the life and retire. Greed to make more money huh -isn't that enough to have a good life!

I have to say, usually here I double my monthly pension every month, its not hard to do, just good business sense.  I really dont have much empathy for those that want to get rich quick and hang out doing nothing. 

That said, I have lost money here, just learned from it...but that was personal not with a holding company or anything like a easy investment...guess I learned from my father who lost over 250k in the US in the 60's with a get rich scam. 

Been here for seven years?  No money? Cant find a job?  Really, then why stay for seven years? 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:41:04 PM by Diba »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »

I agree.
Perhaps it was money he could afford to lose..After all,he`s still here!
At the time 1000`s of expats and Filipino`s were being drawn into this to "preserve their capital" and live a damned good lifestyle on interest drawn monthly tax free which many did for a few years.. The 20% interest deal was covered by PDIC and thats why there were so many takers.
Many of them that invested early almost doubled their money in 5 years tax free..
The ones that joined the gravy train with the 40% interest investments (not covered by PDIC) probably lost the lot..Like Ray did.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:33:41 PM by fred »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »
I feel for the op RayTerry but as far as I know there is not much anyone can do to help him in the Philippines as it takes money to do just about anything and if he is overstaying, then he cannot even get a work permit.

One suggestion I have is to contact the Foreign Assistance Center http://www.foreign-assistance-center.com/
Tel: +63 (2) 57 999 53 ( Office )
Fax: +63 (2) 44 12 484 ( Office )
Cell: +63 92 09 38 2477 ( Alfred Lehnert )

I do not know if they can help his situation but possibly they might be able to assist him to negotiate no jail time should he decide to self deport. Self deport seems to be the best way to help your child, hopefully you could get a job back home and then apply for a visa for the child once you get back on your feet.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance to you Ray but it seems you are between a rock and a hard place and with that new law out, someone is bound to turn you in for the p2000 they would get and then a lot of jail time would probably follow before forced deportation and blacklisting anyway, at least if you self deport, then once back on your feet you might be able to contact the Philippine embassy and pay the back fees and then ask for the blacklisting to be removed and hopefully they would then remove it.

Good luck mate.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 09:24:06 PM »
SEE THE LINK BELOW:
THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES
It may just pertain to Americans, but I think it will help other foreign citizens too! 

http://www.americanassociationphilippines.org/socwelfare_svc.htm

Repatriation

Repatriation is AAP’s ultimate goal for all its beneficiaries. The program is geared towards getting them to the US for work and experience a more decent living. American travelers who are in genuine need of financial assistance in returning to the US are also considered for this program. AAP works in coordination with the US Embassy’s American Citizens Services Branch.

AAP shoulders subsistence fees while repatriation is being processed as well as payment of immigration fees and plane ticket. These services are only given once the eligibility of the person for assistance was established. Further, potential clients especially those born and raised in the Philippines are being prepared psychologically and socially, which deemed necessary for their adjustment to the US.

Documentation Services

Since majority of our clients belong from families of lower socio-economic status, from far-flung areas and are not aware of their rights, AAP helps educate these families of their rights. These children may be eligible for US Citizenship, Child Support, Immigrant Visa, Social Security Benefits and other application claims which AAP try to work on their behalf.

Assistance is in the form of securing pertinent documents, acting as an “agent”, and doing follow-up on their respective cases.

Emergency Loan

Recognizing life’s uncertainty, AAP provides emergency loan assistance to its clients who have financial crises. This is given on a case-to-case basis depending on the severity of the case. Some of our beneficiaries have paid us back, and others have forgotten. The good thing is, we are able to help them in times of need and help them ease their burden.

"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
great post Art

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 10:02:49 PM »
I feel for the op RayTerry but as far as I know there is not much anyone can do to help him in the Philippines as it takes money to do just about anything and if he is overstaying, then he cannot even get a work permit.

One suggestion I have is to contact the Foreign Assistance Center http://www.foreign-assistance-center.com/
Tel: +63 (2) 57 999 53 ( Office )
Fax: +63 (2) 44 12 484 ( Office )
Cell: +63 92 09 38 2477 ( Alfred Lehnert )

I do not know if they can help his situation but possibly they might be able to assist him to negotiate no jail time should he decide to self deport. Self deport seems to be the best way to help your child, hopefully you could get a job back home and then apply for a visa for the child once you get back on your feet.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance to you Ray but it seems you are between a rock and a hard place and with that new law out, someone is bound to turn you in for the p2000 they would get and then a lot of jail time would probably follow before forced deportation and blacklisting anyway, at least if you self deport, then once back on your feet you might be able to contact the Philippine embassy and pay the back fees and then ask for the blacklisting to be removed and hopefully they would then remove it.

Good luck mate.

We asked this guy for help for a Brit named Kevin Taylor held in a prison here.. He told us to raise as close to a Million Pesos as a group  before he could do anything.
waste of time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:05:19 PM by fred »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »
SEE THE LINK BELOW:
THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES
It may just pertain to Americans, but I think it will help other foreign citizens too! 

http://www.americanassociationphilippines.org/socwelfare_svc.htm

Repatriation

Repatriation is AAP’s ultimate goal for all its beneficiaries. The program is geared towards getting them to the US for work and experience a more decent living. American travelers who are in genuine need of financial assistance in returning to the US are also considered for this program. AAP works in coordination with the US Embassy’s American Citizens Services Branch.

AAP shoulders subsistence fees while repatriation is being processed as well as payment of immigration fees and plane ticket. These services are only given once the eligibility of the person for assistance was established. Further, potential clients especially those born and raised in the Philippines are being prepared psychologically and socially, which deemed necessary for their adjustment to the US.

Documentation Services

Since majority of our clients belong from families of lower socio-economic status, from far-flung areas and are not aware of their rights, AAP helps educate these families of their rights. These children may be eligible for US Citizenship, Child Support, Immigrant Visa, Social Security Benefits and other application claims which AAP try to work on their behalf.

Assistance is in the form of securing pertinent documents, acting as an “agent”, and doing follow-up on their respective cases.

Emergency Loan

Recognizing life’s uncertainty, AAP provides emergency loan assistance to its clients who have financial crises. This is given on a case-to-case basis depending on the severity of the case. Some of our beneficiaries have paid us back, and others have forgotten. The good thing is, we are able to help them in times of need and help them ease their burden.

Very positive post Art.
You never know and its certainly worth a try Ray!

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »
A story of another Brit in a predicament: http://goo.gl/m6Tmbn
OK, he's Scottish http://goo.gl/AEoH4M

Coalsnaughton man stranded in Philippines with huge hospital bill! BTW, in the same place Ray Terry is from in Cagayan De Oro City!

George ‘Dougie’ Keiller fell ill on his flight over to the Philippines and ended up on life-support. Six days passed before he realised what had happened – by then he had racked up £4000 in hospital charges. He contacted his travel insurance but they refused to pay out as he didn’t inform them of a pre-existing lung condition. Now, the 59-year-old is stranded in the Philippines as the hospital won’t issue a discharge letter until he pays up.
“I’m pretty desperate here and just want to go home.”
Dougie contacted the British Embassy in the Philippines and he says they are providing him with cash to cover the flight home but not his hospital stay. It has left him scrambling around for money from relatives and friends as he desperately tries to get back to Scotland.

http://goo.gl/rJpbSd
What the British Embassy cannot do for you:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
make business arrangements on your behalf
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:01:43 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!