Author Topic: More foreigners here than I thought.  (Read 3412 times)

Offline trev.

Re: More foreigners here than I thought.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
Where i am in North Luzon i am seeing more and more foreigners. But they all seems so unfriendly. Will never make eye contact. That is quite okay with me even though i would love to at least say Hi. How are you.Saw one young guy and he was very friendly. Smile and did say hi. Many Mormons around here, mostly young guys walking on the street.
I have one American friend who is a manager at one of the mining site here. He is a retired Vet.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »
So I was out walking today.  I found my head down for a bit and thought of this thread.  Had to laugh outloud probably making me look crazy to some.  But the sidewalks can be so uneven here and after busing my toes and drawing blood a few times(wear sandals) I look down more now to keep that from happening. 

I'm sure most of you are not playing on guys doing that as I see those guys also in malls and other places where there is no need to look down or away from other foreigners. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: More foreigners here than we thought!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
Yes! There are more foreigners in the Philippines than we all thought, but BI stated that there are 1.2 million foreigners in the country, but only 200,000 are currently registered with the BI!
So, does that mean the foreigners with their heads always looking down and or avoiding eye contact, except for JoeLP are any of those in the one million foreigners not registered with the BI? 
Maybe that's why the BI made it open season for Filipino bounty hunters to turn in over staying foreigners at P2,000 per head reward money!
So, JoeLP and others on here, stand up straight with heads up while walking in public and you all won't be under suspicion of being an over staying foreigner by a Filipino bounty hunter for the BI!  ::) ??? :o
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:20:59 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
So I was out walking today.  I found my head down for a bit and thought of this thread.  Had to laugh outloud probably making me look crazy to some.  But the sidewalks can be so uneven here and after busing my toes and drawing blood a few times(wear sandals) I look down more now to keep that from happening. 

You have to!  Busted myself up really bad tripping in Angeles last Jan.  Last time I wore sandals on the street, shoes only now.

On my first trip it really put me off being ignored by expats, figured we're one happy family!  Now don't even notice them.

Can occasionally strike up a casual conversation at a hotel pool or a guy sitting next to me at an outdoor bar but that's it.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
In our subdivision there are about twelve expats from Europe and the North America, about twenty Korean, and another hundred plus Filipinos and Balikbayans. About half of the expats are friendly and we play pool and drink beer once a week. We run into the some expats shopping, and as others have said they avoid eye contact, and even when they do, they just nod. I have on occasion tried to strike up a conversation with expats I meet, but like many have said, some just don't want to for whatever reason. To each his own-- I guess.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog