Author Topic: First Scooter  (Read 90 times)

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
First Scooter
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
I am now living in one of the larger provincial cities.  It looks like having a scooter is useful.  We already have a car,  etc...

What advice can any of you offer about scooter selection?

I have much experience with larger bikes (Goldwing, Electra Glide,  K1200LT, etc...).  No experience yet with scooters.  It looks like to me that handling a 3-4 hundred kilo bike around town is not what I want to do.  So a smaller scooter might be in order. 

Of course it all depends on everything....

I looked at Yamaha NMax, XMax, Honda PCX.   Not yet looking at the larger 5-6 hundred cc models as it is then a larger machine again to handle.

Any ideas are helpful as I don't know much about these things.

What are you riding,  why did you pick that one ?

“Old men do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
“Keep on rocking in the free world”

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: First Scooter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »
What are you riding,  why did you pick that one ?

We have 2 older Japanese 150 cc trikes.  I bought them used and rebuilt them in house.   Then shipped in a box of quality engine parts as spares. 

Anything larger than 150 seemed to put folks off.  They thought it was wasteful and scary.

The only thing unusual we did was insist on  no decorations or pretentious bs.   Longevity and function over aesthetic form.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:18:15 PM »
Our bike is a Honda 110dl.  When I got here we got the car, then I talked to a retiree from the USAF about bikes.  He has the same bike, but a few years older and a 100cc engine.  He said he rarely takes the van to town any longer.  He lives about 20km away in the neighboring municipality and the public markets and all are nowhere near what we have here in the provincial capital. He had a rack custom made(I have the same now) that sits on the back of the bike and allows for a "box" to be fixed to it.  It's the storage containers you can buy in most malls or order from lazada.com online.  Ours cost about 1400php for a good one with lock.  Anyway, you can fit a lot of what you want in that.  We also put "hooks" under the steering section on the main system that allows for bags to be "locked" into them(sorta like an over sized carabiner(climbing hook style). 
Between the storage container/box and the hooks we can carry almost everything we need.  And the bikes can move so much better through traffic to our destinations and back we save the car only for rainy days. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:49:21 PM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »
Anything larger than 150 seemed to put folks off.  They thought it was wasteful and scary.

I will keep that in mind,   I guess there really is not any reason for any larger.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
  And the bikes can move so much better through traffic to out destinations and back we save the car only for rainy days.

That is how it looks to me also.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog