Author Topic: First experience for me.  (Read 996 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
First experience for me.
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
So late last night, as I was staying up to stream the Lions game, a quake hit here in Catarman.  Now, this isn't the first I been through while living in the Phils.  But, up until now, all of them have been nothing more than a very short "vibration" that sorta gave you virtigo.  That was it. 

I lived in Michigan and Chicago when in the US for most my life and never had a quake experience.  When in the UK for work never had one either, nor in my work visits to Germany when I had to go there for a weekend.

So as I'm watching the screen waiting for the pregame to get over, i felt what was akin to when living in Michigan the neighbor boy blasting his music very loud in his car with the bass cranked up and vibrating the ground.  That was my first thought, then I realized there was no music or bad bass blasting.  Then as it hit me this was another quake, but a little stronger.  Then it grew stronger and sorta "shook" the house a little. 

I must admit, I was sorta enjoying it.  A first for me.  no damage, no problems and it woke Tina up pretty quick.  But it was an enjoyable first experience.  Probably sounds morbid, but it was something that was new to me.  I'm sure after a few more of these I won't care at all, but was neat for the first time.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
Re: First experience for me.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
I'm glad it was small enough to be enjoyable!

My first quake was the Nisqually quake outside of Seattle in 2001. That completely freaked me out, being from the East Coast and having never felt one before. That was a bouncer. Everything went up and down and I could hear the sound of it. After it was over I thought it was kind of cool to have been through.

My first quake here was a 6.0 centered south of Davao a couple of years ago. We were sitting outside, drinking, when I felt the cheap plastic chair I was sitting in start to wobble. I thought, "Man, these chairs are cheap! It's going to collapse!" But when I looked up, I realized that it wasn't the chair, everything was swaying.  It was over pretty quick but it was very spooky. It was so different than the one in Seattle.

JD

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog