Author Topic: Humanity First ??????  (Read 3174 times)

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
Humanity First ??????
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:23:47 AM »
In our area the Yolanda aid just keeps coming in

Here are pictures of 200 Homes now being built with out water, toilets or cooking facilities. I can not understand how any one would approve this project OTP

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
Re: Humanity First ??????
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
And they're nipa huts???

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:18:23 AM »
Yes just 3 meters squared, slated wood floor with woven mat for walls, tin roof

The main supports are 4 inch PVC with 2 rebar in it filled with cement Built on a 30% slope which is mostly solid rock no water no bathroom and no cooking area already falling apart in just 3 months

No one seems to know anything about, tried to call the Canadian company they do not answer the phone

Talk is now 200 Units  next to one of the nicest beaches in the province

Feel sorry for the people that will be forced to live in them looks to become a slum

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:31:34 AM »
Heck, if it lasts long enough to become a slum...

This makes me very angry and kudos to you for trying to contact the company.

Now want to know if this is what the original company intended or what the middle man gave....

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:39:20 AM »
Why did Canada not send an engineer to oversee? This is what happens when you leave it to corrupt officials.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 04:25:12 AM »
Im not sure who built them but I saw the exact same thing the other day on the way to Ormoc,  if your familiar with the area, located on Maralikia Hwy on the way from Tacloban to Babatnong ...it appeared to be about two hundred units in total.
One of them built next to where the mass graves are. 

As I rebuilt both of my sister in laws houses back, Im fairly familiar with the construction cost....Im guessing they have between 2 and 3k peso tied up in each unit....for the money given here they could have easily built concrete block construction and had money left over...
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »
I know many live that way but for a relief org to provide funds and get that is preposterous.  I'd like to see the rest of the story.

Offline Killjoygreg

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:31:14 AM »
Was talking to a couple of expats in Roxas City last week and they laugh at the high life some of the so called volunteers are living. They come from many countries but it is suspected they have good connections in their home countries.

Apparently these positions are highly sought. They live in nice hotels and dine at the best restaurants.

They are still there and not much seems to have been achieved.

The only charity I give is direct charity

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
There are two restaurants  here that are generally considered the be the best ones in town, Gussipies and Ocho's, before the storm  you could usually get into them no trouble as they are fairly expensive.  A couple of months ago I took my wife to Gussipies, and we had to eat in the outside area because the entire restaurant was packed with folks here supposedly working for relief agencys...same with Ochos.  Most of the nice hotels and resorts in town are full with relief agency folks.  Living the high life....

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
Killjoy I meet some of this volunteers in Roxas most work full time for the relief agency they are building 45 small block houses

One told me he has been working for the agency for 5 years gets around 100,000 USD base pay, living expenses and per dim when on assignment just goes from disaster to disaster there alway in the clubs with a bunch of young Filipino girls

The Foreigner in charge of the UNA group in Estancia I believe he was Canadian was murdered in his office last week by a local seems the UNA had leased 6 new SUV's from a local guy for 2500 Piso's each per day as the rehabilitation work was done they had canceled the contract argument followed and he ended up on the wrong end of a 9MM

Have not been able to find out the rest of the story as it seems to be hushed up so may be political involved

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »
Would love to hear the rest of the story if you hear it.....

Here they are paying 3000 a day for suv's, a couple of months ago Mike my friend here ask me if I wanted to Lease my Everest to them, only trouble is we would have to paint it, they only want white trucks for some reason....I declined

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
I have had much experience with so called 'volunteers' worldwide. There is always a profiteering angle. The only exception I know of is this one. ALL volunteers pay their own expenses and collect extra funds to pay the project costs. Not one cent is collected for 'executive costs'.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/320-irish-volunteers-travel-to-south-africa-to-build-school-in-a-week-30107915.html

It sickens me to see people profiteering from co-called charity.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:41:38 AM »
My company did a Habitat for Humanity build in the Philippines last year.  They charged each person $1200 to volunteer.  I think we might have even had to use vacation.  I declined LOL.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog