Author Topic: Learning Tagalog  (Read 1790 times)

Offline kirkwill

Learning Tagalog
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of someone who can be a teacher to teach Tagalog? I have been using the software program Rosetta stone which has been very helpful but i need a little more help.

Thanks

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
Re: Learning Tagalog
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »
Good luck in finding a Tagalog tutor.  I think Art is a fluent Tagalog speaker? Maybe?
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
I am, but I don't make a good tutor! I have no patience in teaching.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Killjoygreg

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
I've tried a couple of times just out of books. Could count to 1000. Now I'm back  to 10. I think it's something you have to immerse yourself in and it's difficult to keep up the interest.
Certainly no one I've met has volunteered to teach me but I'm pretty sure it would be wasted on me anyway.
I have a basic few words and phrases and don't seem to get beyond that. Where I'm currently living they speak Ilongo anyway and there's no way I could master three. But this has inspired me and I will learn some basic Ilong words......one day.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:10:57 PM »
Try finding a teacher that is retired or needs extra money.

when I was living in Orion, Bataan, I just immersed myself in the culture and picked up tagalog that way at least to the point I could sorta follow a conversation and at a very low level respond.

Then I move to Catarman and sorta go blown away and how few speak tagalog, let alone really understand it.  But they all speak waray waray very well.  So Tina set me up with a retired teachers I went to for twice weekly visits to learn.  Then she went to spend time as "Lola Nanny" for her grandkids who live in Texas.  So I lost that after only a few months.

But, being a lifelong teacher, she had the experience and patience to teach and was not bad.

So when you make the move, either talk to your contacts, or just go to a school and ask for the "tagalog" teacher, or the teacher of the language where you'll be living and see if they are open to giving lessons.

Tina right now is trying to find an active teacher to teach me that.  Her sister, who teaches, is I guess talking to the "waray waray" teachers in her elementary to see what can happen. 

Just for an idea for how you can get the rest of the help you desire for learning the language(s) here.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:29:54 PM »
I speak Tagalog.and Lurned a lot just Living here for the first 5 years.I also did like Joel said.asked at the local college and found one who was willing to teach after school.I paid her only 2000 a month.she taught me for two hours a day 3 times a week.I think the price was to cheap.Felt Guilty ans gave her 3000 a month...anyways just be dedicated and have a strong willingness the lurn

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »
I fixed the title.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***