Author Topic: SSA  (Read 5219 times)

Offline jimbo5921

SSA
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:47:36 AM »
I have a question.  Maybe its been answered and I missed it.   When I move there.   Do i have to report it to SSA?   I was just gonna use the one month delay in funds plan thru my bank  (Wells Fargo)  to a Phillipine bank.   I dont want to screw this up or be misinformed/ignorant etc.    :)  Why do they have to know im even in the PI if I use the plan I described.   
Destination   "RP"  .........!!!!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: SSA
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 05:51:04 AM »
Jim,
What plan did you describe? I can't find your post describing what your plans are with your Social Security pension. What kind of SS pension do you have? Is that your only source of income?
Did you read everything on here under the Social Security topic and or under Banking?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:53:01 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:57:10 AM »
That is going to depend on if you are a US citizen or resident and what country. Many expats never tell SS that they moved as long as they have a US address and keep the money deposited into a US bank account. One problem comes about in today's world with Obamacare is the ability to prove you are living outside the country, so you do not have to pay the fine. If you are over 65, then you are entitled to Medicare but Medicare is not available to you if you live outside the US, thus many expats cancel it so they do not have to pay for it when living outside the country, there comes the catch 22, do the agencies speak to each other, we are on new ground when it comes to Obamacare.

You can check the pdf SS booklet for specific rules since there appears to be many of them.  http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

I am not sure how this whole Obamacare thing is going to work, thus I do not wish to give you any incorrect information but wanted to point it out to you, so that you can cover that base with something such as PhilHealth and some type of residence in case the US asks you to prove health insurance.

Hopefully one of the others who live full time in the Philippines can give you a better answer.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
You can not change your address on the SSA site to a foreign address.  This must be done at a SSA office or the Veterans Administration Regional Office in the Philippines or a US Embassy/Consulate in other countries or by phone to the USA number.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Tally J

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
I was able to call the embassy in Manila and spoke with the SSA office about changing my address to the PI.  They emailed me a form to fill out and sign, then I was able to fax it back to them.  I asked for a confirmation of the address change and they let me know when it was done.

Offline jimbo5921

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:36:46 AM »
I have read that it takes approx. 30 days for a check to clear that I would write to myself from my stateside wells fargo account to a PI bank.   If I have and address here in the states and I choose to do and "EXTENDED STAY' in the PI why do I have to report to SSDI  that I have even left or am on the extended stay.    So....  I would have the funds I need to live on ie twice what I need to live while waiting for my personal check to be cleared from the PI bank.    Am  I on the right track??

Offline jimbo5921

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 03:39:48 AM »
I forgot to add  I am 100 percent disabled  but ambulatory and a disabled Vet.  and my income comes from those two sources only.  untill I turn 65.  then I dont really know what happens.   Im not expected to live that long anyway cuz of a bad ticker.......

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »
...If I have and address here in the states and I choose to do and "EXTENDED STAY' in the PI why do I have to report to SSDI  that I have even left or am on the extended stay...

The rules require that you report an address change even if you have your payments electronically deposited. 

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10137.pdf

"Things you must report

Page 15  Change of address

Tell us if your address changes
so your checks will not be lost or delayed. Even if we are sending your payments to a bank or another financial institution, report any change in your home address."

Practically speaking as long as you have someone at the U.S. address that can forward you any letter they might send that requires a response you are probably covered.  (On the other hand if they catch you they could stop your payments until you straighten out your address change.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:46:25 AM by suzukig1 »

Offline jimbo5921

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »
thank you...  guess that answers it.   I have the forwarding covered   thank you suziki? 

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
Jimbo,
Not sure what your plans are so not sure how to help.  I moved here and am technically, by pinoy terms, a tourist.  Still on the tourist visa.  But, as far as SS knows, I live here, and have an address here. 

I did this to get away from obama care and the hell that goes with it.  The only way I could cut payment for the insurance form my checks and get away from the insurance mess was to be living over seas.  They know I live here, and have my address as the one here and send my mail here. 

Despite that, my bank is an American bank, and I just wire the money here monthly for $5 fee.  It's instant.  I can go online, wire it through xoom.com, and by the time I reach the bank, or pawn shop I had it wired to, it's ready for me to pick up every time.

If you're looking for the direct deposit route, I don't know how to help you on that as I've never done it. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »
Despite that, my bank is an American bank, and I just wire the money here monthly for $5 fee.  It's instant.  I can go online, wire it through xoom.com, and by the time I reach the bank, or pawn shop I had it wired to, it's ready for me to pick up every time.

JoeLP, and this enables your wife to get funds if you're incapacitated right?

Problem with the direct deposit to a PI back acct is I believe only the beneficiary can have their name on it and withdrawals can only be made in person so if you're laid up nobody can get money for you.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:21 PM »

JoeLP, and this enables your wife to get funds if you're incapacitated right?
Problem with the direct deposit to a PI back acct is I believe only the beneficiary can have their name on it and withdrawals can only be made in person so if you're laid up nobody can get money for you.
First of all on the subject with Xoom wiring yourself money to the Philippines, here's a heads up. When Xoom first opened for business long ago in Northern California, I joined immediately and tried sending myself money to my RP account and Xoom flat out closed my account with them without any notice and couldn't use any of my accounts I had registered with them and they would not reinstate my accounts either. Best to ask Xoom what their policies are concerning sending yourself money in your name to an RP bank also in your name.
Here's a few lines below from their Xoom User Agreement: https://www.xoom.com/legal/user-agreement

Xoom User Agreement

OVERVIEW OF THE SERVICE
The Service is intended for our customers to send money transfers to or pay bills for family and friends. We recommend that you use the Service only to send money to or pay bills for people you know personally. You should never use the Service to send money to or pay bills for strangers.

Others. You may not submit or receive a Transaction (i) on behalf of any other person, (ii) on behalf of a business or other non-human entity or (iii) on behalf of a charitable organization without Xoom's express consent. You may send Transactions to Service Companies for Beneficiaries whom you know personally. We may, at any time and in our sole discretion, (A) refuse any Transaction, or (B) close multiple accounts held by an individual, persons related to the individual or persons living in the same household as the individual.

Restricted Activities. As a user of our websites or Service or in the course of your interactions with Xoom, you will not:
Breach this User Agreement, or any other agreement between you and Xoom;
Open more than one account;
Provide false, inaccurate, or misleading information;
Refuse to cooperate in an investigation or provide confirmation of your identity or any information you provide to us;
Use an anonymizing proxy;
Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so);
Share Transaction numbers or information with anyone except the Service Company, your Recipient, or Beneficiary, and you will advise your Recipient or Beneficiary not to share Transaction numbers or information; and
Violate any other restrictions in this User Agreement. 
               -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the direct deposit of SS pensions to a USD RP account, I would not recommend it, because one can only avail their passbook type account (joint account not allowed) with no ATM and or internet access and must do a face to face transaction with the bank teller.
I do not know exactly what would happen if one becomes disabled, ask the bank manager if a power of attorney is allowed for someone else to do your banking transaction on your behalf.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:55:36 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog