Author Topic: shipping a motorcycle and household goods via container.  (Read 5177 times)

Offline alidabiri

shipping a motorcycle and household goods via container.
« on: January 23, 2015, 04:32:08 AM »
Hi,
 my Filipina wife of 11 years and our two babies and I are planning to move to visaias in October. we have visited Philippines 5 times.
we plan on living in Ormoc city. I have asked around some people who are living there now and none of them have shipped a vehicle there. I have a motorcycle that I plan on shipping to Philippines. anybody has any experience on this? any information would be appreciated.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
Re: shipping a motorcycle and household goods via container.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 09:39:03 AM »
All the details are here for the motorcycle:  http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/motor-vehicles-boats-yachts/

4. WHAT ABOUT USED MOTOR VEHICLES?
Only qualified individuals may bring in a used motor vehicle which shall be duly covered by a prior authority to import. Under appendix 1-D of BSP Circular-Letter, Series of 1995, dated October 19, 1995, the importation of used vehicles continue to be regulated and would therefore require prior authority from the Bureau of Import Services (BIS), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI).

5. WHO IS QUALIFIED TO IMPORT USED MOTOR VEHICLES?
Under Executive Order No. 284 as implemented by BIS, in relation to BSP Circular-Letter, Series of 1995, dated October 19, 1995, the following individuals maybe allowed to bring in used motor vehicles:

A returning Filipino or a former Filipino citizen who has stayed abroad for more than a year;
An immigrant to the Philippines (shall be at least a holder of a 13G Visa duly issued by the Bureau of Immigration and Deportation).

Provided further that:
Only one (1) unit motor vehicle per family is allowed to be brought in. (A motorcycle is considered a motor vehicle for this purpose).
The vehicle is registered in his name for at least six (6) months prior to shipment to the Philippines;
Proof can be presented that the vehicle was acquired out of the earnings abroad.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:43:48 AM by suzukig1 »

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
Even if your a Filipino Citizen and do get the authority to import the motorcycle you still may be subject to duties and taxes plus whatever the people at customs will add for there services

Best Advice I can tell you is to sell the motorcycle and car and buy here

I personally would not ride a motorcycle here in our area it seems to be  open season on trikes and motorcycles at least a couple of deaths every week in our area

Keep us advised on how this works out for you

Offline Ronin

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »
I don't have any info about importing a motorcycle but here's some ramblings for you.

Don't know what kind of bike you have but consider if it's suited for the terrain and type of riding you will be doing here.  Remember the roads may not be suitable for your bike here. 

I've been thru several bikes here in my two years before I found it ne that really works for us.  I've had a Yamaha fz16, Kawasaki ninja 650, Yamaha xt225 and finally a new Honda crf250l.

Another thing to consider;  are there parts and competent mechanics to work on your bike?

Most of the bikes here are on the small end of the scale and parts and mechanics follow suit.

I still have a Yamaha fjr1300 in storage in the US.  I'd love to have a bigger bike here but the support infrastructure just isn't available and Im not much of a mechanic.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
Hi,
 my Filipina wife of 11 years and our two babies and I are planning to move to visaias in October. we have visited Philippines 5 times.
we plan on living in Ormoc city. I have asked around some people who are living there now and none of them have shipped a vehicle there. I have a motorcycle that I plan on shipping to Philippines. anybody has any experience on this? any information would be appreciated.

Check here, http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=49824.msg66083#msg66083

It will give you an idea of what most of us ride....when I first got here I had a Honda super four..but could not get anybody qualified to work on it...when I was in the states I almost shipped my Harley Ultra Classic here..I didnt I just gave it to my son...now Im very glad I did...the streets here in Tacloban would be impossible to navigate on a bike that weighs close to a 1000 lbs....maybe if you put a reverse gear in it....I have friends that have "big" bikes...but they never ride them downtown, as the streets are too tight, to congested etc...

Last night I took my wife out to eat, we used her MIO 125 MXI...light, fast enough for town, easy to park..great lane splitter....eventually I want a Royal Enfield, someday money allowing, www.royalenfield.com.  After being here for four years and seeing whats available for a touring type bike, it seems to be the deal...I cant stress enough that its vastly different riding here than in the US....there are places you can tour, lots here do, but the challenge is not you or what you ride, its the totally uncontrolled things like buses, jeepneys, trikes, pede cabs, and the locals using the hwy to dry rice, party etc....hope this helps...its one of the things you really have to be here to understand....
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline alidabiri

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:03:33 AM »
Thanks everyone.
I think you all are right about inner cities (specially Tacloban) being very crowded and impossible to navigate a 750 pound motorcycle (mine is  Sportster 1200cc). But I'm not planning on riding it in inner cities. I found Ormoc City to be very organized and easy to navigate compared other places. We plan on living outside of town.
Besides, this motorcycle has sentimental value to me (my wife found it and picked it for me). It's a shame that a family can only take ONE vehicle (a car or motorcycle - but not both). Anyway, I'm intent on taking this motorcycle to the Philippines.
Thanks again.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 09:01:10 PM »
Is it just an urban myth, or has anyone actually sent over their motorcycle in parts in balikbayan boxes?
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Online Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
Is it just an urban myth, or has anyone actually sent over their motorcycle in parts in balikbayan boxes?
I've heard of it being done but the snag will be when you go to register it at LTO. God Bless.....

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »

Since around 2011 they xray the containers that boxes come in, so a lot of a lot of people have been caught bringing in motorcycle parts and then those bikes have been confiscated and I do not know what charges they may have faced.
Years ago a lot of people may have gotten away with it but since 9/11 a lot has changed and over time it is becoming harder and harder for people to bring in items not allowed in BB.

http://customs.gov.ph/faqs/balikbayan-boxes/
11. ARE COMPLETELY-KNOCKED DOWN (CKD) MOTORCYCLES OR PART OF MOTOR VEHICLES (ALSO KNOWN AS CHOP-CHOP MOTORCYCLES OR VEHICLES) THAT ARE FOR PERSONAL USE, ALLOWED IN “BALIKBAYAN” BOXES?
No, these are not allowed in “Balikbayan” Boxes. These are not considered personal effects or household good and are thus treated differently; other documentary requirements are needed for these to be brought into the Philippines without which these vehicles cannot be registered with the land Transportation Office (LTO).
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog