Author Topic: How is everyone doing filing their U.S. income tax from the Philippines?  (Read 8207 times)

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
I always pay a professional tax preparer to do my tax. We file a joint return and as out of country residence. This way we does not have to file any state return. Was tempted to try Turbo tax for the first time but was hesitant. My e-file was just done yesterday. U.S. citizens have until june 15th. to file and that is without applying for extension.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
No technical difficulties from here when I filed with TurboTax online on Sunday.

The software did tell me that I had to upgrade to include one thing and then upgrade the upgrade to work through our condo sale, only to tell me that it didn't have to be reported in the end. Other than not liking either, I had no trouble giving TT my money with a card for the upgrades.

I also did my FBAR which was pretty clunky, having to fill out a savable PDF, but still easier than I thought it would be.

JD

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
I always pay a professional tax preparer to do my tax. We file a joint return and as out of country residence. This way we does not have to file any state return. Was tempted to try Turbo tax for the first time but was hesitant. My e-file was just done yesterday. U.S. citizens have until june 15th. to file and that is without applying for extension.

Do not have to file for an extension but I believe you need to justify it by enclosing a statement with your return mentioning that you live outside of the U.S. or something like that.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Bud,

I think your address on the 1040 should be enough.  If you owe taxes you need to pay by 15 Apr no extension on the payment.

Chuck
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:31:38 PM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Chuck,
I haven't read this in a while but now that I have, I am beginning to think that if you are only a resident outside the states and do not have a business, you do not qualify for automatic extension.  But, since I am filing jointly and my wife has a business, she would qualify us for the extension.  Although, it does say that if you qualify, you need to tell them in what way.  I will just tell them that I was waiting on her to get done with the BIR and she was on Philippine time taking it to almost the last minute.

http://goo.gl/Xlflz

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
I guess what that means is that the IRS needs to get some clarification on their site better or the ACA needs to get it more accurate.  Either way, I am covered and believe me now that I know more on some things, this year is the only and last time mine will be filed past April 15th.  Thanks.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
OK, here's the previous topic on taxes and since it is nearing, I'll eventually have all my ducks in a row when it comes time to e-file our U.S. income tax using Turbo Tax once again!
I don't bother with looking for tax loopholes, other exemptions or declarations, because I just get all of my pension's 1099Rs, put in the numbers and answer all of the questions, then it's up to the program to sign and deliver the forms to IRS and or where ever else it needs to go! "Finito", until next year rolls around!
It's all about each to their own, because doing one's taxes is different from the rest, because some spouses, him or her maybe still working while residing in the Philippines or offshore working elsewhere, while the rest of us are just kicking back and enjoying our retirement lifestyle here in the Philippines.  ::) ??? ;) 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:24:02 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline chimellie

Re: How is everyone doing filing their U.S. income tax from the Philippines?
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »

Do you send your W2 forms to the tax preparer ? Do you use US address to receive W2 forms ?