Author Topic: Disabled With A Destination.  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Dream Traveler

Disabled With A Destination.
« on: March 01, 2015, 08:43:01 AM »
HELLO, FRIENDS!
I am a 34 yr old male trying to devise a plan to relocate to the Philippines in the near future. I am on SSDI, and my research says that I will still have my benefits there.
My concern is resuming treatment there and getting the medicine I need for mental illness. Will I still have my Medicare insurance? Hoping that someone here has gone through a similar transition and could shed some light on how to prepare for this big move.
Of course I have many other questions that I intend to hopefully get some answers for here from fellow travelers, first hand. This detail of resuming treatment is my primary concern right now, as I believe that if I were to move and discontinue treatment that i would no longer be eligible for my benefits. Though, i am not sure of that, either.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Disabled With A Destination.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
Medicare does not work in the Philippines. Also meds are expensive here.

If you have mental issues, my advice would be to never discontinue treatment without a doctors approval.

Disability based on your work record you can continue to collect, if you should be on disability without a work record then it will probably be discontinued.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »
HELLO, FRIENDS!
I am a 34 yr old male trying to devise a plan to relocate to the Philippines in the near future. I am on SSDI, and my research says that I will still have my benefits there.
My concern is resuming treatment there and getting the medicine I need for mental illness. Will I still have my Medicare insurance? Hoping that someone here has gone through a similar transition and could shed some light on how to prepare for this big move.
Of course I have many other questions that I intend to hopefully get some answers for here from fellow travelers, first hand. This detail of resuming treatment is my primary concern right now, as I believe that if I were to move and discontinue treatment that i would no longer be eligible for my benefits. Though, i am not sure of that, either.
Welcome to the forum. We're all here to help if we can. I too am on SSDI. A few things you will need to know.....

1.) Your SSDI will be good here. But...if you also have any SSI along with the SSDI, the SSI part will stop 30 days after you arrive here. Also if your state pays the Medicare Part B premium, that will also stop and you will be deducted it's cost (Approx $105).

2.) If you only intend to visit for a short time like 2 months or less I would pay the bill. This way it is still in place when you return. But...if you intend to stay long term, you will need to visit the SSA office at the US Embassy in Ermita, Manila to apply to have Medicare removed for why pay for an insurance that is no good here in the PH. If you decide to return back home, it will take 30 days from the day you return and notify them for the benefits to resume.

3.) If you receive FS, they will be of no use here.

4.) As Lee2 has said, all meds here and all medical services are cash and carry. No money, no treatment. PH Philhealth Ins is available for P2400 a year but is only good for inpatient and the pays only 1/3 to 1/2 the bill. There are local insurances available like Maxicare which I have or Intellicare or BSBC of PH.

5.) Be prepared for culture shock. You are not in Kansas anymore Toto. That will unfold as you are here.

Do you have an idea on where you want to live once you get here? Different areas have different costs and availabilities. Many areas to choose from. Manila, Cebu, Palawan, Luzon, CDO, Davao, Bacolod, Dumaguette etc. Again welcome and good luck in whatever you choose.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:00:49 PM by Steve & Myrlita »
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:35 AM »

There are local insurances available like Maxicare which I have or Intellicare or BSBC of PH.

Hi Steve,
Do these work like US insurance with co-pays, deductibles, etc?  Can you give a ballpark on your costs?

Million dollar question is if you can just show a card and only pay your portion at the cashier but assume you have to file claims?

Thanks!
Dennis

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 02:56:49 AM »

There are local insurances available like Maxicare which I have or Intellicare or BSBC of PH.

Hi Steve,
Do these work like US insurance with co-pays, deductibles, etc?  Can you give a ballpark on your costs?

Million dollar question is if you can just show a card and only pay your portion at the cashier but assume you have to file claims?

Thanks!
Dennis
If you go to the site clinic, it's P100. If you go to the OPD at the hospital, it's P350. If you are admitted, it's P2000 deductible. Theses figures may vary depending on which plan you choose. They do however, cut off after 65.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 03:27:23 AM »
Darn, not an option for my mother-in-law but thanks!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:22 AM »
PhilHealth pays 1/2 to 1/3 on inpatient?  If they had paid even 1/3 on my wife's hospital bill last year, it would have been 3 times what we got from them.  Something is either not accurate there or we got taken.  Even if you don't throw the complications which she had in to the mix, what they paid did not reach 1/3 of what the bill supposedly would normally be.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »
Dream Traveler, welcome to the forum, please excuse my first short answer, as we had just arrived back into the Philippines and my brain had not fully arrived yet from not sleeping for over 36 hours of travel and preparation to travel.

I know my answer was not what you wanted to hear but it was the truth. I have had to buy some of my meds here in the Philippines and was shocked at how much some of them cost when compared to back in the US on my healthcare plan, if a person does not have medicare or a healthcare plan then prices may be around the same.

As for healthcare in the Philippines, as others have said they have PhilHealth which is good for minor issues since they have low limits, and other healthcare exclude preexisting conditions, so yes a person can get a healthcare plan for anywhere from $1000 to $2000 a year depending on age and I am told a person would have to sign up before they reach 65.

As a side note to healthcare, my US Blue Cross supposedly will reimburse a hospital stay but I would have to pay up front first with my own funds or credit card.

One of the main reasons we have not moved to the Philippines full time has been healthcare coverage that I have from previous employment as well as Medicare (because I am over 65), which so far will not work in the Philippines, thus why we only stay in the Philippines for 3 to 4 months a year and get all my medical issues taken care of in the US.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
 :o....Good Luck to you they have Given you some Great advise..Good Luck please read this Forum it contains most everything you will need to know.to live here..

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog