Author Topic: Pressure tanks, water pumps and thou.  (Read 9454 times)

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
Re: Pressure tanks, water pumps and thou.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »
Well your first challenge is to find a competent plumber

The second is to find fittings that hold pressure do not use plastic as the just thread the plastic pipe no plastic threaded insets here for black pipe if you use blue plastic the glue is no good

If you buy steel pipe fittings buy from the same supplier and check that all fittings screw together before you purchase them. I  have bought 1/2 inch steel fittings that will not thread into another suppliers 1/2 inch steel fittings different pipe suppliers

Let the games begin

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 02:16:12 AM »
What are the options for plumbing/water pipe in the Philippines?

What Iím accustomed to using in the US is both PVC and Copper. Are these available there in the Philippines?

Both PVC and Copper can handle the pressure that would be common in a house. I should qualify that statement-- SCH 80 PVC and L and M Copper are pressure rated above any pressure you would find in house water plumbing.

There are other types of plastic pipe that you would NOT want to use for water under pressure.

Galvanized steel pipe is another option here (US) but I havenít used it in over 30 years.

There are other newer options as in PEX but I have no experience with any of those.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »
This is what we use in our buildings.. Recommended!

http://mpi.moldex.com.ph/products_MoldexBlue.html

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 06:28:43 AM »

Fred

"Recommended"

What other options are there? What is most "standard"?

Thanks

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 06:52:01 AM »

What we have in the house in Samar from the city line.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »

Fred

"Recommended"

Thanks

Its the same stuff I use, If you glue it properly it works great...the secret is to make sure the end of the pipe is clean before you glue...I use either acetone or alcohol before I glue...so far "knock on wood" I have not had a joint failure yet...
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 06:17:12 AM »

Fred

"Recommended"

Thanks

What we have found over the years is that there is no standard sizes here!! If you buy a brand of water pipe,you pretty much have to stick with it forever as the wall thicknesses and diameters are all different.. When you compare Mouldex to cheaper brands of pipe there really is no comparison.. Literally double the wall thickness and a larger pipe in some cases.. This is just the same with waste pipe.. Some of the Chinese brands are nearly an inch unders size(wastepipe).
Next time you visit a good hardware..See for yourself.. Mouldex is the most expensive and the best IMO but dont forget if you choose that brand,never think that you will ever be able to buy different brand fittings that are compatible..
We have never had a problem with glued fittings that are under pressure encased in cement.. Once or twice we have had the odd failure near high pressure areas (not cement encased).. Mouldex have clean (for S blue PVC glue) and threaded fittings (just need PTFE tape on the thread). We try to use threaded fitting where possible near pumps and pressure tanks.
These days we ONLY use good quality nylon or plastic faucets or occassionally solid brass as even the expensive "stainless" or other alloy taps eventually corrode.. The brand we use is Watertek.
Anything like ball valves or water level switch floats..Only use expensive brand plastics or real brass.. Dont buy any stainless as its usually garbage and will only cause you headaches in the near future.
You can even buy modern pressure tanks that will not corrode as they are made from some type of fancy nylon..Again they are double the price of stainless tanks,but well worth the extra cost.. I think they are better than metal tanks with internal bladder.
The Philippines has some of the largest copper mines in the world..Not only cant you find copper water pipe,you will definitely never find a plummer that can fit it!! So its a non option.
G.I pipe used to be standard here till the 90`s and is still widely available.. I dont trust it these days as it probably comes from China and will probably erode eventually especially on the threaded joints..
Pays your money..Takes your choice.
Choose wisely!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »
x2

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 06:25:36 AM »

Fred

"Recommended"

Our plumber does the same but roughs up the surfaces with sand paper before gluing..

Thanks

Its the same stuff I use, If you glue it properly it works great...the secret is to make sure the end of the pipe is clean before you glue...I use either acetone or alcohol before I glue...so far "knock on wood" I have not had a joint failure yet...

Our plumber does the same but also roughs up the surfaces with sand paper before gluing.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:29:48 AM by fred »

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »

What we have found over the years is that there is no standard sizes here!! If you buy a brand of water pipe,you pretty much have to stick with it forever as the wall thicknesses and diameters are all different.. When you compare Mouldex to cheaper brands of pipe there really is no comparison.. Literally double the wall thickness and a larger pipe in some cases.. This is just the same with waste pipe.. Some of the Chinese brands are nearly an inch unders size(wastepipe).
Next time you visit a good hardware..See for yourself.. Mouldex is the most expensive and the best IMO but dont forget if you choose that brand,never think that you will ever be able to buy different brand fittings that are compatible..
We have never had a problem with glued fittings that are under pressure encased in cement.. Once or twice we have had the odd failure near high pressure areas (not cement encased).. Mouldex have clean (for S blue PVC glue) and threaded fittings (just need PTFE tape on the thread). We try to use threaded fitting where possible near pumps and pressure tanks.
These days we ONLY use good quality nylon or plastic faucets or occassionally solid brass as even the expensive "stainless" or other alloy taps eventually corrode.. The brand we use is Watertek.
Anything like ball valves or water level switch floats..Only use expensive brand plastics or real brass.. Dont buy any stainless as its usually garbage and will only cause you headaches in the near future.
You can even buy modern pressure tanks that will not corrode as they are made from some type of fancy nylon..Again they are double the price of stainless tanks,but well worth the extra cost.. I think they are better than metal tanks with internal bladder.
The Philippines has some of the largest copper mines in the world..Not only cant you find copper water pipe,you will definitely never find a plummer that can fit it!! So its a non option.
G.I pipe used to be standard here till the 90`s and is still widely available.. I dont trust it these days as it probably comes from China and will probably erode eventually especially on the threaded joints..
Pays your money..Takes your choice.
Choose wisely!

Very useful information, knowing that without having to learn "the hard way" can save someone a lot of pain.

Thanks

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 10:38:15 PM »

Very useful information, knowing that without having to learn "the hard way" can save someone a lot of pain.

Thanks

Yeah, from now on I am making sure if I get any PVC, it is always Mouldex.  The other day I was fixing something up and didn't realize the problem with fitting and I wound up with an elbow that won't fit on the pipe.  A lot of this other stuff I was not aware of either.  Thanks you guys.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 11:10:35 PM »
Slightly more complicated,sorry I forgot to mention..
There are 2 types/standards of Mouldex..Mouldex and Mouldex "extra"... Be sure to remember which you buy as both are slightly different size wall and diameters with different size fittings!!
we always buy Mouldex Extra BTW.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 11:32:31 PM »
If you venture to Citihardware or Wilcon or one of the more well-stocked hardware stores, you can see the pipe side-by-side. There is a huge difference between them.

Just to add them to the mix, there is a Philippines pipe maker named Atlanta that seems to have good, thick-walled stuff.

We plan to use the best we can afford for hidden runs of sanitary and storm water and the thinner stuff for any downspout or exposed stuff that we can replace easily.

After living here in this rental and experiencing a nasty leak somewhere under the slab (the meter spins like a pinwheel when the valve is turned on but we can't tell where the water is going), we specifically told the architect that we wanted little to no runs within the slab of the new house.

We've determined that we can use HDPE pipe to bring the water from the city connection to the the house and also use it to go around the house to service our hose bibs and minimize the length of the runs to our bath rooms. It's flexible enough to make long, graceful bends and steady in the trench.

We're using PPR (or PP or RPP) Polypropylene Pipe Random for the short runs within the slab that can't be avoided and for the storage/pump setup. It requires a special heated joint which is a drawback but we think it will work well for hidden piping and for piping exposed to sun and whatnot outside. It is supposed to leach Chemical Nasties at a lower rate than PVC.

JD
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:34:46 PM by JD »

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 01:53:21 AM »
Ive got an idea, mostly from all the repairs Ive had to do to this house, there will be no plumbing or electric wiring where it can not be gotten to easily.  I originally had the idea from and old house I lived in in Florida where all the plumbing circled the house and came through the wall everywhere you needed a point of use. 

The house we build this year will be on pilings raised over a concrete slab...all the wiring and plumbing will be routed around the sills and crossbeams under the house, allowing access without any problem...in the house all of it will be surface mounted with decorative covers, probably sounds a little commercial but should eliminate a lot of problems later.  As many have said in this thread all plumbing will be thick wall, and all the wiring will be at least a gauge over what is required.
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog