Author Topic: What happens when Microsoft ends Windows 7 mainstream support next year  (Read 5809 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Nothing until 2020 and beyond. I am sticking with 7, many people are even still using XP without any apparent problems.

On January 13, 2015, Microsoft will stop mainstream support for Windows 7--which is still an extremely popular operating system. But you'll still be able to use it safely for another five years.

This isn't anything like the run-up to the end of XP support back in April, when everyone in the tech press (including me) warned you about dire consequences if you continued to use XP. That was the end of extended support, which is far more serious than the end of mere mainstream support.

Once mainstream support ends, there will be no more service packs. Microsoft won't redesign the environment or add new features. Without a special extended agreement, you won't get patches for bugs that don't result in a security threat.

But if you like Windows 7, you probably don't really need new service packs, and you certainly don't want a redesigned user interface. As long as Microsoft patches vulnerabilities that could become security risks, Windows 7 remains a safe operating system.

Microsoft doesn't plan to stop fixing security problems in Windows 7 until extended support ends. That's January 14, 2020--five years and a day from the end of mainstream support.

If that doesn't put you at ease, consider this: XP's mainstream support ended in April, 2009. It caused no problems whatsoever. Millions continued to use XP for another five years without people like me warning them of dire consequences. Windows 7 won't be any different.

Vista mainstream support  ended on April 10, 2012. Extended support will end on April 11, 2017, so you can continue to use Vista for another two and a half years plus. [This paragraph was added on August 29, in reaction to reader queries.]
http://tinyurl.com/luerrg3
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: What happens when Microsoft ends Windows 7 mainstream support next year
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »
I used xp until I came here in 2011, Im presently using Windows 7 and will continue to use it until this computer dies..the only time I have ever up graded is when I bought a new computer and a new version of windows came on it.
Fortunately I never had a computer with vista and from what I hear that was a good thing..but then I readily admit Im computer stupid  and if I turn it on and it works, Im happy
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »
Right now microsoft is offering free upgrades to Windows 10.  Tina is downloading it now as I write this.  Just google "microsoft essentials" and join that to get the emails sent to you for all upgrades.  I'm waiting for her to get it installed to make sure I like it.  I love all the reviews I've seen of it.  If it's as good as I'm hoping, tomorrow my laptop will be downloading and installing it also. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 08:02:12 AM »
G'day all,

I upgraded from Windows 7 Ulitmate to Windows 10 about a week and a half ago.  It downloaded and installed without a hitch, which is good as I am not that handy with computers.

So far the experience has been great.  Many improvements that I can see and nothing hasn't worked as it is supposed to.

Cheers
Brett
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »
Sounds encouraging Brett. I too am not a computer savvy kind of a guy.
I'll wait awhile though before switching to Windows 10. I still like Vista, user friendly!  ::) ??? ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
Brett,
    When you upgraded, were you able to retain all your data? After installing 10, did you have any issues with any non-Microsoft apps?

Mike

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:07:22 PM »
Problem is that if you buy a PC in most Asian countries it will be a pirated version of windows (if any) installed. Thus you must switch off updates or the copy is detected and you have 70 days to correct  ???
Just curious tho - should I try to upgrade/update and see if they give me 10? Ill be buying another next week so Ill experiment with this one.

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 07:22:23 PM »
Interesting Article on Windows 10 I would watch what you put on it as passwords can be read anytime by Microsoft

http://www.rt.com/politics/313032-senior-russian-lawmaker-seeks-ban/

The State Duma’s vice speaker has asked the Russian government to ban the use of the Windows 10 OS among Russian civil servants over fears the American software may give access to classified information and Russian officials’ personal data.
In his letter to Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, MP Nikolai Levichev of the center-left Fair Russia party said the service agreement signed by any Windows 10 users allows Microsoft to access all passwords, password prompts and other information used for data protection. The US corporation also receives other types of data, from users’ contacts, their emails and even location.

Microsoft warns that the received information will be stored and processed in the United States or any other country for an indefinite period of time and transferred to US state agencies.

READ MORE: ‘No matter what platform you use, it’s all under surveillance’

Levichev has therefore asked Medvedev to consider a complete ban on the Windows 10 operating system in Russia’s bodies of state power, state-owned corporations, and state-sponsored scientific and research institutions. The MP has also sent a letter to the head of the Russian internet watchdog Roskomnadzor, Aleksander Zharov, asking whether Microsoft’s user service agreement contravenes Russian laws.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:23:31 AM »
Problem is that if you buy a PC in most Asian countries it will be a pirated version of windows (if any) installed. Thus you must switch off updates or the copy is detected and you have 70 days to correct  ???
Just curious tho - should I try to upgrade/update and see if they give me 10? Ill be buying another next week so Ill experiment with this one.

I've got the same version issue but have the icon to upgrade so wonder would happen if I do....

I already have on a legal version on a laptop I have and wifi cuts out, didn't with Win7 on the same laptop.

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:32:47 AM »
Brett,
    When you upgraded, were you able to retain all your data? After installing 10, did you have any issues with any non-Microsoft apps?

Mike

mikbal

Yes, all my data was exactly where it was prior to the upgrade and everything worked as it did prior as well, including non MS apps.

The biggest thing I see is the appearance of things, also seems to run a bit smoother than Win 7 Ultimate.  Easier to customise some things too.  I didn't have Windows 8 on this laptop and I couldn't get used to it on other laptops this appears to have some things from Windows 8 and 8.1 but having the start button back in the shape of a window left bottom of the bar makes it, for me anyway, simpler to navigate.

Overall I like it, if there is problems with it, not being pc literate means I guess I don't know where to look for them.

As stated elsewhere, this didn't come with an OS so I paid for a legitimate version of Windows to be installed at the time of purchase.

My laptop is about 4 yrs old now I think, an Asus Intel Core i7.  Cant tell anyone anymore about it as the stickers have worn out some time ago.

Cheers
Brett

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:53:11 AM »
Thanks for the infor Brett. I went ahead and made the move today on my laptop.  I chose to go with the new Microsoft browser, Edge. It may be my imagination but it seems to be quicker than IE 11. It's early yet, but so far I'm happy with 10.

MIke

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »
Thanks for the infor Brett. I went ahead and made the move today on my laptop.  I chose to go with the new Microsoft browser, Edge. It may be my imagination but it seems to be quicker than IE 11. It's early yet, but so far I'm happy with 10.

MIke

Mike, hope you are happy and don't have any glitches.  I stuck with IE11, will give Edge a go, but being an old dog, hard to get new tricks working, haha.

Cheers
Brett

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »
We don't even have a Windows 7 OS anymore, but still using Windows Vista on my desktop for years and now we have Windows 8.1 that were already installed in the two new laptops we bought a few months ago while on vacation in N. California. We quit using Internet Explorer long ago, because we just had too many glitches. Our default browser now on all of our PCs is the 32 and 64 bit Slim Jet browser, an offshoot of Google Chrome and this Slim Jet browser is a lot faster than any browsers we've used and it's stable and reliable IMO.
We've also used MSE and a lot of other malware/Anti-virus free shareware, which didn't seem to detect any malware or viruses, until I found a malware/anti-virus paid version software, which is called Web Root, which has worked great in detecting malware and viruses. 
We now just have Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox sitting in the background as a backup browser just in case we have use for it again.
We will be holding off for a while before upgrading to Windows 10, we're in no hurry. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:41:16 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Dave_Phils

• Love & Truth
    • Asia Tech & Shopping
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 11:25:06 PM »
Windows 7 doesn't need mainstream support. We don't need any of those service packs or patches anymore. It's so good as it is right now. I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because my favorite programs wouldn't work. I'm glad that Microsoft will secure Windows 7 until 2020.  :)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:51 PM »
Dave_Phils.  That pic looks familiar.  Also you first post?  Are you a former member returned or all together new?
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog