Author Topic: Bringing a computer to the PI as a gift  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Ronzoni2004

Bringing a computer to the PI as a gift
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »
Hi everybody!
† † † † † † † †  I was stationed in Subic Bay for 4 years from 79 to 83 with the Navy. Yes, I did live to tell, and have been married now to Lourdes for 20 years, with one son in college. One Filipino family member has asked for a basic laptop as a gift, which is easy to do. I just remember the strict controls on \"Cano\" or American items going in and out the Base, due to the \"black market\". Will I be able to bring a laptop in and leave it in the PI?. My wife will make the journey to her hometown of Tacloban with out me this time, so I don\'t want any hassles for her.
Thanks for your help.
Best wishes, Tom

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Bringing a computer to the PI as a gift
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »
Put it in a laptop bag, and take it on as carry on, don\'t pack it. If it is your personal property, new or not, there should not be any questions, make sure it is charged, and bootable, as customs may want you to turn it on to verify its not a device other than a laptop, if you get my drift.

Wayne
Wayne† ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »
Hi everybody!
† † † † † † † † †I was stationed in Subic Bay for 4 years from 79 to 83 with the Navy. Yes, I did live to tell, and have been married now to Lourdes for 20 years, with one son in college. One Filipino family member has asked for a basic laptop as a gift, which is easy to do. I just remember the strict controls on \"Cano\" or American items going in and out the Base, due to the \"black market\". Will I be able to bring a laptop in and leave it in the PI?. My wife will make the journey to her hometown of Tacloban with out me this time, so I don\'t want any hassles for her.
Thanks for your help.
Best wishes, Tom

We just had a laptop brought from the US to Cebu.† It was carried in check-in luggage (the traveler had two more he was carrying for other people, in another check-in and one over the shoulder.† Customs didn\'t question them and he had no troubles.† I would normally have bought one new in Cebu, but this was an older Dell one of my grandsons used in collage and going to a nursing student we\'re sponsoring here.† It saved us a few pesos.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:56:19 AM »
you are correct ,my asawa arrived in the RP april 3rd.(yesterday.....
† she had as a carry on a a $800 laptop for our niece in nursing school
 no problem at all............ ;D stillbilly2002

Offline Ronzoni2004

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
Thanks for the \"been there, done that\" answers, you gave me some peace of mind. Even an old computer that might seem outdated to Americans can be of value to a Filipino family, and the computers are already dual voltage! Not like those 120 hairdryers my wife used have to replace all the time.† ::)

Offline Ronzoni2004

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
I just said Americans in my last post but I\'m new here and it dawned on me that not everyone posting here IS American.† ;D

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:11:05 AM »
 :)good job pilgrim..........a lot of the long time posters......and more informitive
†  hero members .............are from down under... long live the Aussies ;D
† † † †  the UK.........GOTTA LOVE THEM............ ;D ;D† AND THE REST OF THE WORLD.................. :)† Try the Rufus red horse therapy.........
† † ......so sayeth the Rufus..........if i can borrow from our prophet
† † † † † † billy2002 :)

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog