Author Topic: What happens when Microsoft ends Windows 7 mainstream support next year  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: What happens when Microsoft ends Windows 7 mainstream support next year
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 11:55:58 PM »
Windows 7 doesn't need mainstream support. We don't need any of those service packs or patches anymore. It's so good as it is right now. I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because my favorite programs wouldn't work. I'm glad that Microsoft will secure Windows 7 until 2020.  :)
I'm still happy using Windows Vista on my old desktop! Still works great! We don't have any Windows 7 OS, just Windows 8.1 on our laptops and in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 10.  ::) ???
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Dave_Phils

• Love & Truth
    • Asia Tech & Shopping
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 12:16:46 AM »
I'm new in this forum. I'm from San Diego and living in the Philippines for a while now. I just started to work online with my filipino friends. I thought I could share my tech knowledge in this site.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 10:07:39 AM »
cool and thanks Dave.  just checking
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 10:15:11 AM »
I took the windows 10 upgrade and regret it.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
hi dave welcome here and if dont mind me asking what type of work do you do online .i only ask as im looking to do something from home to keep me busy and online seems best way as im tourist visa so cant work other ways.

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 10:40:10 PM »
I hated Windows 8 and I took the free upgrade to 10. Big difference.

Warning for those that choose not to update: You put yourself at risk for security issues working on software no longer supported.
Dan

Offline Danson L.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 05:26:50 PM »
Hello, I would suggest you read the enclosed link, kinda' simple really. NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING to/on Windows 7 until AFTER January 14, 2020. If a good PAID antivirus is installed, then "Security Updates" should not me anything (AFTER 2020).That's a long time. I plan on keeping Windows 7 for as long as it "boots up"  Don't listen to the scare tactics in regard to Windows 10. There is problems galore with 10 NOW, it will be years before it is straightened if ever.

Offline Danson L.

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »
 Hello,
I stupidly left off the link relative to Windows 7 support in my recent post  [about ten minutes ago]. I am so sorry.  Please post the link for me. Old age is taking its toll!!!!! :'(

MODERATOR: I would be happy to post the link if I knew what it was. :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:06:15 PM by bigrod »

Online M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 06:32:06 PM »

Fortunately I never had a computer with vista and from what I hear that was a good thing..but then I readily admit Im computer stupid  and if I turn it on and it works, Im happy

When I bought my Laptop in Jan 2008 it came with Windows Vista, ugh... it was cool at first but compared to Windows 7, Vista loads and shuts down so slowly and it took up allot of hard drive space, I couldn't wait to get Vista off of my Laptop.  Win 10 has been okay for me, I had to load my sound card drivers and modify some old games my wife uses but other then that it's really different, I like new innovation and I also learned that I don't need spyware so I got rid of Avast and use the Windows Defender, the antivirus that comes with the computer.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
The link in the original post in this topic tells it all but at the bottom is MS links.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462643/what-happens-when-microsoft-ends-windows-7-mainstream-support-next-year.html
On January 13, 2015, Microsoft will stop mainstream support for Windows 7--which is still an extremely popular operating system. But you'll still be able to use it safely for another five years. 

I am happy with 7 and thus will keep using it and by the time Jan 14, 2020 rolls around, they may have a completely new windows systems or even a few more by then, so why worry about it now is my personal opinion.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle   https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?C2=14019
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
I have Windows 10 and like it better than the Windows 7 I had previously.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
I believe it comes down to what system you had before 10 and on what type of computer, and then if 10 installed correctly on your computer because apparently it installs correctly on some computers and not on other computers. And then comes is 10 compatible with the extra paid for programs a person may have installed on their computer. As an example only, years ago I had xp and used a money program, then I upgraded to Vista and the money program still worked but when I upgraded to 7 the money program was no longer compatible, and MS no longer made a current version of the program. My point being, that I then had to go out and buy and use quicken, which I hate when compared to the money program and which IMO is nowhere near as good as the money program, thus it is my opinion that if a person runs extra paid for programs, then they may not work or work correctly with 10 and I for one am not willing to find out the hard way and then have to buy a new program for that, and have to yet again learn how to work it, and that is just one paid for program of a few that I have on my computer that I have to worry about working on 10.

BTW my HP printer also did not work when I upgraded to 7 and HP did not have the drivers for about a month or so after and to this day my printer still does not work 100% correctly on my newer 7 machine, but it did when on the original machine I upgraded to 7 from Vista on. Some people do not mind buying new printers and software when they change machines, I prefer to use what I have until it dies.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
I'm a die-hard fan of Windows Vista Basic on my old desktop, works fine for me.
We don't have any Windows 7 OSs, just 8.1 on the two laptops we now have, which I may upgrade to 10 whenever I get the urge to do so, but not in any hurry.
Nothing to fix really as long they all work without any issues. 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 10:57:56 PM »
Art is right.  My wife installed Windows 10 first on her older laptop.  I liked it and installed it on my newer one.  It installed very well and I am very happy with it.  Tina, after about 5 months had enough with the glitches and went back to windows 7 and is very happy with the move.  She misses some things that she had with windows 10, but all the shutdown and black screen glitches are gone.

If you don't have a new enough computer or one that meets the requirements, windows 10 can be a hassle.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 12:11:48 AM »
I went back to 7 from 10 myself.  If I'm using the laptop just to surf with the browser I'm fine but for anything else I was lost without the start menu.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog