Author Topic: Is anyone on here or ever been an Ubuntu OS user?  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Is anyone on here or ever been an Ubuntu OS user?
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:20:48 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=about+the+ubuntu+OS&gws_rd=ssl

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/operating-systems-software/ubuntu-1404-lts-review-3514314/

I have seen and read about this Ubuntu OS, but never paid any attention to it, but with the constant changes in Windows OS over the years, it just maybe time to look into this Ubuntu OS, instead of upgrading to Windows 10. We have Windows 8.1 on two of our new laptops and we don't care for it, Windows 8.1 that is! 
Any comments or advise will be appreciated concerning this Ubuntu OS! 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:25:21 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Is anyone on here or ever been an Ubuntu OS user?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=about+the+ubuntu+OS&gws_rd=ssl

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/operating-systems-software/ubuntu-1404-lts-review-3514314/

I have seen and read about this Ubuntu OS, but never paid any attention to it, but with the constant changes in Windows OS over the years, it just maybe time to look into this Ubuntu OS, instead of upgrading to Windows 10. We have Windows 8.1 on two of our new laptops and we don't care for it, Windows 8.1 that is! 
Any comments or advise will be appreciated concerning this Ubuntu OS!

I agree that Window 8 is a pain.  I don't know if Windows 10 is any better. I know you can upgrade to it.  My laptop is Windows 7.  It's dying now so I'm switching to a Macbook Air.  Apple has it's own OS which is a challenge too but I  think it's better than Windows.  I know this doesn't answer your question about Ubuntu.  Just putting in my two cents worth.

EDIT by Steve: Fixed the "Quote"
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:57:27 PM by Steve & Myrlita »
Mike........

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »
Hi Art,

Over the years I have tested out many different versions, types, names of Linux. They are all essentially the same, that they run on the Unix Operating system.

The user interface has improved over the years, to the point where Ubuntu just installs and away you go. Since it is all open source, it is all free. There are some programmes that can be purchased, but most are free, including ones that are similar to what can be found running on Windows.

The only drawback to Linux has been the ability to actually run Windows applications, especially games, but that too has improved over the years.

Check out the many Linux forums and learn as much as you can before trying it out. You can dual boot, and select either Linux or Windows. You can even run Linux from a USB drive. You can also run Linux, a slightly smaller version, without installing ti at all on your computer.

The main thing is to try it and see if you like it and if it is something you can use.

Thomas

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »
Thanks Thomas for the info. It looks that it'll be awhile before I even get into the Ubuntu OS, since I know nothing about the Unix or Linux OS. Just have to put it on the back burner for now until I get around to it. 
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:18:09 PM »
Hi Art,

Nowadays the only thing you have to know about Linux is that it is not Windows ;) lolol

In the past a lot was lacking and required some fair knowledge of Unix commands.

The Ubuntu screen, and the way to use it, and the ease, makes it quite easy for a non technical person to start using it as is.

Unfortunately for me, the software that I work with and need to support on my job do not work in Linux, so for now I have to use Windows, else I would be using Linux.

Good luck with easing over to Linux.

Thomas

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
Well, I found this and others on YouTube which helps!

How to Install Ubuntu on Windows Easily and Dual Boot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVppdkOThCs
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 10:30:11 AM »
i too want to go to LINUX as WIN 10 doesn't interest me, nor did 8.  Win 7 is all i need, but then there's LINUX.

I just made the bootable USB with ubuntu on it from   http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download .

The LILI  ( linux live ) did not work as advertised in that there is no .exe within the USB  which allows running Linux out of Windows. Ok, there's still the boot option. I had to find out how to make my computer check for the USB in the boot order with my WIN 8 laptop, what we used to call the BIOS . It probably is still called bios, but also new name is eufi.  I Found the info by searching around a bit. If you have WIN 7 you probably don't need to. You would have the esc , or F1 ...F12 keys to press to break in to the bios on boot up. Ok, so i got my laptop to check the the USB, and huzzah , ubuntu. Nice clean interface, stable, opened my browser, and internet was there! Had to put it away, as this was my usual time to watch tv with my dear wife, but leaped back into it at my next possible moment and u.. u.. u..  no boot. It just stalled. Tried various things, but not done yet. just have to go to bed now.    good night america, good morning philippines
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:30:02 AM »
i tried my USB again today with high hopes but came away empty. Which proves that making the leap should be undertaken with caution.

I'll try again at a later date. Linux is in my future for sure  :)
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 07:03:05 AM »
I guess it's better you than me trying to figure out that Ubuntu OS, because you seem to have the patience for it. It would drive me crazy! I'm a dunce when it comes to a PC's bios or DOS.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
I used Ubuntu exclusively on my second computer in the states. Small learning curve but not difficult to figure out. They have now upgraded enough that it is almost flawless in emulating most windows programs. I like it.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
But is there an advantage to using Ubuntu over Windows?

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
But is there an advantage to using Ubuntu over Windows?
I have never used this Ubuntu OS that's why I asked, but here's a link below that explains some of the disadvantages and advantages of this Ubuntu OS.
http://www.drawbacksof.com/en/disadvantages-ubuntu/
Others on here who have used this Ubuntu OS can add more info from their own experiences using this OS.

Disadvantages of Ubuntu
1. Though the operating system is powerful and had improved the user experience, but stills it carry strong lags that must be taken into consideration before installing Ubuntu OS.
Ubuntu is very conventional to new technologies. You can instead go for Fedora Distro.
2. It is very perceptive to faults in hardware which makes it less steady as compared to other operating systems.
3. There is a little hardware support for Ubuntu OS. Some of the users complain that it becomes difficult to configure modem to start work on internet.
4. It is not possible to play the modern games in Ubuntu OS. It shows the poor graphics quality and ne have to use emulators to do so that harms the graphics quality.
5. Though Linux (Ubuntu) has number of free applications and software available on net, but most of the applications are not found for Linux use.
6. Ubuntu is not capable of playing MP3 files by default.
7. The forum support for Ubuntu is really very poor. It takes weeks and even months to get our query solved.
8. The installation of Ubuntu is one of the major problems. It does not come installed in modern PCs. One needs to install it by himself.
9. The drivers support is also absent in most of the cases as compared other operating system.
10. And finally one more major drawback of Ubuntu is that a user switching from Windows or MAC will not like user experience on Ubuntu and will have difficulty in operating the OS.

Advantages of using Ubuntu OS
We discussed about some major drawbacks of using Ubuntu OS but now letís have a look over some advantages of this powerful operating system that will force you to install it on your system.

1. Ubuntu is one of the most secured operating system and defines the highest level of security as compared other operating system.
2. Ubuntu is an open source OS.
3. Ubuntu is most popular Linux operating system.
4. Most of the soft-wares in Ubuntu are pre-installed to enhance user experience.
5. It is available free of cost.
6. 1 GHz x 86 processor (Above Pentium 4)
7. 512 MB Ram
8. 5 GB space must be free on hard drive
9. Graphic card with 800 x 600 resolution
10 USB port or DVD drive for media installation

System Requirements for Installing Ubuntu Conclusion
Ubuntu is most secured OS known till date. But I will personally prefer to go with Windows OS because of its user friendliness and great support. Also Windows is the widely used OS all over the world and can be made secured with the help of antivirus software.

Last updated by Ifham khan at March 4, 2014.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
Hi Art,

Ok, I see where your confusion is coming from.

I will address the last point first. There is anti virus support for all operating systems nowadays. Windows, Apple, Android, and Linux. The support for Linux is as good Windows.

The disadvantages and advantages that are listed are obviously from users, and are valid. However, you only need to look at what your usage will be and then decide based on that. Are you a gamer? Are you a programmer?  Are you an average user, email, web browsing, etc?

As for the technical side, how old is your computer and will you be buying a newer model soon? Newer models also lack proper driver support for Windows, not just Linux.

Keep in mind that now with Windows 10, and its too many issues and problems and bugs, people that I know keep asking about going back to Windows 7 or 8.1. No operating system is ideal or perfect.

Take all of that into account and then you can make a decision based on your needs, and wants. Whatever you decide to install, or not install, should not be difficult.

As I stated, if I did not have to give support for software based on Windows, I would have gone over to Linux and stayed with it many years ago. Every few years I have looked at it, and it has gone from a buggy, difficult to install and set up, operating system, to one that installs and starts up and allows the user to work with it easily and painlessly.

Thomas

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:43 PM »
Linux based has been hard to infect with virus, but as it becomes more poplar people will figure a way. I just personally like it.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
My take on this is simple, if a person has a computer without an operating system, or an older computer with an outdated operating system that is no longer supported, then it might be worth them playing with Ubuntu. The old saying is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" that is what I go by. I am happy with 7 and the more I read about 10, the more problems I see some people having with it. The issue with computers and users is that they are not all exactly the same, so some computer will work well with one system or another and others will not, and some users who have different programs may have problems while others who do not use those programs may not notice a problem, so at least in my opinion there is no reason for me to change operating systems.

As for the op, I tried downloading it maybe two years or so ago for an older computer I had with xp and the system would not run, so either I did something wrong, which is likely since I am not a computer wiz, or they forgot to include the autorun in the download, thus I deleted it and reinstalled the XP and gave away the computer and flat screen monitor to a Philippine charity run by a friend of mine in Florida who goes back and forth to the Philippines helping the poor in an area of Samar and ships BB boxes over all the time to help the poor in that area.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog