Author Topic: Is anyone on here or ever been an Ubuntu OS user?  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Is anyone on here or ever been an Ubuntu OS user?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
Well guys, thanks for your feedback! I'll put off with installing this Ubuntu OS since all of our PCs, tablets and cellphones are working fine. I just don't have the patience to tinker with this Ubuntu OS at this time, even though it is a user friendly OS. It's just that my brain isn't user friendly with the internal workings of a computer.   ::) ??? :o
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »
I created a Knoppix Live CD 2 or 3 years ago, and tossed it into a drawer after my old laptop finally died.

Recently i found a computer tossed into a dumpster. I fished it out but could not use it as Windows Vista was password protected. I found my old Knoppix CD and i was up and running in no time at all, including able to read and write the Vista C:\ drive . I am in the basement  on that computer now with probably 2 GB RAM where i can surf in peace away from the rest of the house, day and all hours of the night.

There are no annoying windows messages saying, "installing 1 of 110 updates, wait please" , no annoying waits for IE loading all it's advertising just to pop the latest taylor swift ad " ,  etc.

The KNOPPIX Live CD has a function to create a memory stick version which i did, then from that loaded KNOPPIX directly to a HD of a 5 year old thinkpad which was destined for the philippines but could not get out of it's own way fast enough with windows so was really destined for the scrap heap anyway.

So KNOPPIX is a way to get back to surfing quickly and easily without worrying about the things that Ubuntu will or won't do
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
I am in the basement on that computer now with probably 2 GB RAM where i can surf in peace away from the rest of the house, day and all hours of the night.
There are no annoying windows messages saying, "installing 1 of 110 updates, wait please" , no annoying waits for IE loading all it's advertising just to pop the latest taylor swift ad " ,  etc.
The KNOPPIX Live CD has a function to create a memory stick version which i did, then from that loaded KNOPPIX directly to a HD of a 5 year old thinkpad which was destined for the Philippines but could not get out of it's own way fast enough with windows so was really destined for the scrap heap anyway.
So KNOPPIX is a way to get back to surfing quickly and easily without worrying about the things that Ubuntu will or won't do
That sounds great, but I don't know anything about the Linux file system and or about Abuntu. I'm not all that computer savvy! I'll just stay with what every one else is using, except for Windows 10, which I have not yet upgraded to and probably won't for a long time to come or maybe never. I know, never say "Never".  ::) ???
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 08:02:27 AM »
ok, you had touched on a topic i am very enthusiastic of at this moment.

I liked sharing my experience and encourage anyone who thought about getting away from windows how easy it is. The KNOPPIX install allows you to keep windows in a dual boot. And for the memory stick, or CD options, one need alter the C:\ drive at all.

This also rescues older PC's whose life is at the end. There must be millions of NetBooks out there just languishing. We have 2 in our house alone,  plus 1 or 2 more in the Philippines.  For the tinkerer, there is an entire suite of tools.

I will still use windows for my TurboTax next year. 
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »
Windows 10 has been working very well on my desktop.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Ryan_Stevens

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »
I have never used this Ubuntu OS that's why I asked, but here's a link below that explains some of the disadvantages and advantages of this Ubuntu OS.
http://www.drawbacksof.com/en/disadvantages-ubuntu/
Others on here who have used this Ubuntu OS can add more info from their own experiences using this OS.

Disadvantages of Ubuntu
1. Though the operating system is powerful and had improved the user experience, but stills it carry strong lags that must be taken into consideration before installing Ubuntu OS.
Ubuntu is very conventional to new technologies. You can instead go for Fedora Distro.
2. It is very perceptive to faults in hardware which makes it less steady as compared to other operating systems.
3. There is a little hardware support for Ubuntu OS. Some of the users complain that it becomes difficult to configure modem to start work on internet.
4. It is not possible to play the modern games in Ubuntu OS. It shows the poor graphics quality and ne have to use emulators to do so that harms the graphics quality.
5. Though Linux (Ubuntu) has number of free applications and software available on net, but most of the applications are not found for Linux use.
6. Ubuntu is not capable of playing MP3 files by default.
7. The forum support for Ubuntu is really very poor. It takes weeks and even months to get our query solved.
8. The installation of Ubuntu is one of the major problems. It does not come installed in modern PCs. One needs to install it by himself.
9. The drivers support is also absent in most of the cases as compared other operating system.
10. And finally one more major drawback of Ubuntu is that a user switching from Windows or MAC will not like user experience on Ubuntu and will have difficulty in operating the OS.

Advantages of using Ubuntu OS
We discussed about some major drawbacks of using Ubuntu OS but now letís have a look over some advantages of this powerful operating system that will force you to install it on your system.

1. Ubuntu is one of the most secured operating system and defines the highest level of security as compared other operating system.
2. Ubuntu is an open source OS.
3. Ubuntu is most popular Linux operating system.
4. Most of the soft-wares in Ubuntu are pre-installed to enhance user experience.
5. It is available free of cost.
6. 1 GHz x 86 processor (Above Pentium 4)
7. 512 MB Ram
8. 5 GB space must be free on hard drive
9. Graphic card with 800 x 600 resolution
10 USB port or DVD drive for media installation

System Requirements for Installing Ubuntu Conclusion
Ubuntu is most secured OS known till date. But I will personally prefer to go with Windows OS because of its user friendliness and great support. Also Windows is the widely used OS all over the world and can be made secured with the help of antivirus software.

Last updated by Ifham khan at March 4, 2014.

Thanks friend its really great explanation about Ubuntu OS. I will also try to install Ubuntu OS.

Offline Tally J

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »
About 4 months ago I switched to Linux Mint, another of the Unix based OS.  I did this after Microsoft forced an update that disabled my computer.  Took hours to get it recovered and then I was angry enough to change to a Unix based system.  No problems - the OS is fast and stable and there is enough info on the net in user groups to guide one through any problems.  Since I am not a Unix programmer, these user groups are very helpful.  Luckily all of the basic things are very user friendly.  I did lose the basic MS games though, but I have another computer that still has Windows on it.

There is also a provision to have a dual boot computer so Windows can also be present.  I did not choose to do that.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 03:55:55 PM »
Yeah we use  Ubuntu.  Ubuntu Mate.

I got involved with Linux way back in the early 90's.  I used to run a pretty big BBS back before the internet was ubiquitous.  Just couldn't get Windows or OS2 to control 17 modems. 

Downloaded one of the first versions of the "Minix" kernel.  And I was off to the races.  Been using it for servers and workstations ever since.  Moved the Wife and Daughter to it in 2004.

Why people still use MicroShaft is a mystery to me.  And I've been an MCSE for more than a decade.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog