Author Topic: Lease land  (Read 2616 times)

Offline dalihavidson

Lease land
« on: September 13, 2015, 12:51:56 AM »
Hello Forum members- I have the opportunity to lease a plot of land on a month to month basis. The lease [rental effectively] will be for 25 years. I will be using a lawyer of my choice to support the preparation of the lease. It comes via friend I have known for a few years.

My intent is not to build a conventional type of house - preferring instead to have a modern style nipa house built. This reduces the outlay  and should the worst happen in terms of legalities on the lease i will not lose too much.  Should that happen I cease to pay the rent and as  I am paying over the top for the monthly lease- it provides a level of security as the land owner would lose a guaranteed  monthly income

Anyway- looking for any feedback on such a venture especially the modern style Nipa House. The idea being to  have a simple kitchen inside, shower and toilet. Lounge with an opening to a veranda.Couple of bedrooms. The internal walls to be  panelled and rooms with AC-  mosquito  mesh on windows. Not particularly concerned about long term durability- if it lasts 10 years fine- rebuild another one. Small garden perhaps some chickens. It isn't too far from the sea- and the town centre.

Or I could just seek out a place to rent somewhere.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Lease land
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 01:21:29 AM »
First of all, welcome to the forum!

I do not know your experience level in the Philippines, or your knowledge of different areas, but if you have not lived in that particular area or at the very least spent a couple of weeks to months living there, then I would tell you to do so before spending any money building. My opinion since you asked, when it comes to spending money, rents are fairly reasonable in many areas of the Philippines, I would suggest renting above spending money on something that you do not and cannot ever own, until such time as you have found the area you are sure that you wish to spend many years in.

Keep posting and before long you will be off moderation.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline dalihavidson

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 02:43:24 AM »
I have visited the location area on several occasions and know it fairly well. Though I do appreciate your concerns and your offered suggestion on preference to rent.

Thanks

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 04:57:17 AM »
Welcome aboard sir. Make yourself at home.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:06:11 AM »
dalihavidson,
First of all, welcome to the board! As for building a not so run of the mill nipa hut on leased land for 25 yrs, I wish you luck that your nipa hut will withstand the strong winds during hurricane season, let alone landslides and flooding! How much will you have paid in lease after 25 years, when you can pay off a modern house and a small lot in 10 to 12 years or even in less time depending on your down payment?
Just curious, how's the hurricane and flood history where you plan to build your nipa hut?     
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
Don't know what you are paying there but I have a solid house exactly as you describe for 6,500 a month rent. Buying and long term ties you down - I prefer the option to move when I want or need. I personally feel that buying (or building) a house is like marriage: a long term commitment to something like a prison cell.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 12:13:12 AM »
I have visited the location area on several occasions and know it fairly well. Though I do appreciate your concerns and your offered suggestion on preference to rent.

Thanks
The reason I cautioned you was that I guess i was lucky to find out ahead of time, that for me, visiting an area many times was not the same as living in that area. My wife and I had been visiting our family on the west coast of Cebu, Bukidnon, San Pablo Laguna and Cagayan de Oro for about 12 years staying around a week at a time in each area before finally learning after many stays that those areas would not work for me.

Each of us is different and have different wants and needs as well as different likes and dislikes, so I finally realized that the dogs barking and roosters crowing all night long got even worse on holidays and then to add to that noise, was the blasting music on some weekends as well as on holidays, that, and the occasional gun shots at night in the distance in some areas did not make me feel warm and fuzzy, as well as during the heavy rains, the mice, rats and large roaches that decided it was okay for them to share our indoor space was just not going to be acceptable for me so we moved to a condo in the city instead, which has worked out for us but surely is not for everyone.   
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:14 AM »

Thanks
Each of us is different and have different wants and needs as well as different likes and dislikes, so "I finally realized that the dogs barking and roosters crowing all night long got even worse on holidays and then to add to that noise, was the blasting music on some weekends as well as on holidays, that, and the occasional gun shots at night in the distance in some areas did not make me feel warm and fuzzy, as well as during the heavy rains, the mice, rats and large roaches that decided it was okay for them to share our indoor space was just not going to be acceptable for me" So we moved to a condo in the city instead, which has worked out for us but surely is not for everyone.
"Those too are the same exact words and reasons for me too Lee, but except for we moved into a nice and quiet area in a little house and lot out in the suburbs of Sta Rosa, Laguna NCR of Luzon and we've lived here for over 15 years now and our home is free and clear and still none of those things above in your post are not present here in our area today that we disliked in other certain parts of the Philippines, when we first arrived here way back in 1998.       
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 01:00:18 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
Yup Art, there are a lot of wonderful areas, yours definitely being one of them, from all I have seen and from what you have told us, so I am only pointing out that I thought hard about living in each area my wife has family, only to find out that those areas were not for us, but only after visiting quite a few times at different times and during different circumstances. Obviously what bothers one person does not bother another, that is why I wrote that those areas turned out to not be for me but times change and things change, had we not bought our condo where we did, and if we had to buy today, we would probably pick an area closer to Ayala so we would not have a long walk or a taxi ride but those places were not available years ago and besides that, our area has gotten better with each passing year with more things around us that were not there years ago, thus we do not need the mall as often. As you always say, different strokes for different folks, I just try to warn people to not rush into anything that might lock them into an area.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
I wouldn't want to be in any Nippa Hut during a typhoon and only a concrete structure.  For about the same price or less you could build a concrete structure, anything made out of wood will cost you dearly here and it slows up the job, concrete, on the other hand is very quick.

If you build a small concrete home you could build on to it if needed, make sure your door is steel and your windows have bars on them, it's easier to sleep at night if you have a security plan.  Our house used to be a Nipa Hut and I remember how stressful it was trying to sleep at nights in it, worrying about a robbery or a home invasion. 

How much you would pay for your monthly lease but if it's over 3,000 peso's you could just rent a spot for that amount or rent near the city for a little more but you'd have access to the city, sometimes that's very important because cooking and cleaning up the mess gets old and eating the local municipality foods (no restaurants) gets old real fast and the food isn't so fresh or sanitary.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline dalihavidson

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
Good points Mcalleyboy. Doing more research and details from this forum- decided the best way forward it to rent a place- particularly from a security aspect.

I have experienced typhoons- and quite scary too.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:50 AM »
I'm leaning more to living close to a city and updating a favorite relative's home to hang out in if we want a couple days of province life.  They get a nicer home and we'll have a place to escape to.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog