Author Topic: Internet connection in Philippines: NTC asked to set speed parameters  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Maybe things will finally get better, I hope so but I will not hold my breath.
As the Cebu City Council clamored for improved internet service in the Philippines, the Provincial Board also requested the National Telecommunications Commission to formulate standard parameters and thresholds regarding internet speed to address the slow internet connection in the country.

The legislative body noted that there have been “countless” complaints from all sectors regarding the Philippines’ snail-paced internet speed.

“Such has been a source of daily frustration to each Filipino who is merely trying to make a quick online transaction or sending an important message via e-mail and other modern necessities,” read part of the PB’s resolution sponsored by Board Member Arleigh Sitoy.

The May 2015 survey of Ookla Speedtest,  a global leader in broadband testing and network diagnostic applications, revealed that Philippines has one of the slowest average broadband speeds across the globe.

The country was ranked as 176th out of 202 countries in terms of upload speed with 1.53 megabits per second (mbps), which is significantly lower than the global average of 10.59 mbps, said Cebu City Councilor Nestor Archival Sr. in his recent privilege speech during the council’s session last week.

The PB also reported that household download speed in the Philippines was 3.64 mbps compared to that of Singapore which is 122.43 mbps.

Yet the cost per mbps in the country is reportedly one of the most expensive with an average value of $18.18 (around P800).

“Since the Internet was first introduced, it has become a necessity in the modern world and is used in connecting the world with each click. Just like other necessities, the Internet should be given standard parameters as well as a standard threshold to address the snail-paced internet we are suffering from today,” the PB suggested.

The PB’s call was made in pursuant to section 16 of the Local Government Code of the Philippines which mandates local government units to support the development of appropriate and self-reliant scientific and technological capabilities, and “preserve the comfort and convenience of their inhabitants,” among others.

“Premises considered, this august body finds it necessary to request NTC to heed the call of not only Cebuanos but all Filipinos to improve the conditions of our internet speed by providing a standard threshold that would compete with that of Singapore,” the body added. — /BRP (FREEMAN)

http://tinyurl.com/q9zghlu 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Internet connection in Philippines: NTC asked to set speed parameters
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
Saying and doing are two different things...Ive always been curious why its so slow here, surly there is some concrete reason its slower here than in other parts of the world...and unfortunately I dont know enough about it to have a clue why its so slow...anybody here know the reason?
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:57:40 AM »
In the beginning when I first started using the local cybercafes in 1998 when we first arrived here and we still didn't own a computer let alone a cellphone the service was of the dial up variety and was only good for surfing the net when and if an internet connection was available and or even stable.
It was around 2003 before we even had our own cable TV, land-line and internet connection with speeds around 384 kbps, but increased over the years and today we only have a 3 Mbps DSL connection which is fast enough for whatever we need to do like emails, video streaming, music/movie downloads, video calling, on-line banking and even doing our annual U.S. income tax which we couldn't do speeds less that 1 Mbps long ago.
I will admit though that the cost of internet isn't cost effective across the board and truly should be be regulated better as to it's real cost compared to other countries. Sure faster speeds are now available, but at a ridiculous cost! Even fiber optics are now available too, but at a cost the average person would not want to pay for unless one can afford it and or is needed for their employment at their business and or home! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:18:12 AM »
I studied computer science while in college.  Was going to minor in it, but went away from it.  I use the net a lot, but a lot of what is now wasn't when I was in college, so this is the "old college try" in what I see as the problem with the net in the Phils.

Like with many other things here, there is a serious lack of businesses, even the very high end and largest size businesses, to actually update their stuff, across the board, to first rate, first world level abilities.  Sure, a hospital will pop up and become a first rate hospital, but then it rests on it's laurels and falls back and behind.  Happens all the time here.  No matter the industry/business.  No matter the money made.  The big companies just want to be "modern" enough to be among the leaders of it's industry/business field, and not any more.

No companies that are IPOs are willing to invest in the equipment/software/workers needed to update.  To become first world.  And I think there are many reasons for this.  From their wires being stolen and the police willing to do nothing about it.  To the decision that the investment will never pay off as many cannot afford what that will cost or people stealing it and not paying for it.  These are huge cultural problems that get in the way also I think.

I have a friend who has been to visit his friends in Vietnam multiple times.  They are now with over 70mbps(as of 2013 when I moved here and last talked to him, probably faster now) and here the Phils are with what?  3mbps where I am, and that's if we're lucky.  Places in Manila get what, up to 8? 10?.  I read on here where people were talking about the lines being cut and taken for the price of metal.  Asked my friend if stuff like that happens in Vietnam.  He said if you asked him that before all his visits, he would have said yes.  He told me that current day Vietnam is not anything like what many in the US thought.  Much more modern and more American like he said than many of the other neighboring Asian countries. 

There is so many things that stand in the way of the Phils making the jump.  Companies willing to make and investment.  The culture shooting themselves in the foot.  The costs.  Not sure how much longer I live, but am guessing over 20 more years at least.  I doubt I'll see speeds ever hit the 50-60mbps that I had when I was in the US before I moved here.  Not here in Northern Samar at least.  But we'll see.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:01:08 AM »
Saying and doing are two different things...Ive always been curious why its so slow here, surly there is some concrete reason its slower here than in other parts of the world...and unfortunately I dont know enough about it to have a clue why its so slow...anybody here know the reason?

I've read the PI providers are getting their connection via HK and the lag is all connections go thru there instead of just down the street to the local office like it does in the civilized world.  So hit enter and it goes to HK then to the local, then back thru HK to your pc.

Also if coax, the signal does need to be boosted every 500 ft or so....don't notice too many distribution amps on phone poles like you see in the US.  And if copper DSL over the phone, every 2-3 miles. 

Another advantage if you move to AC....we have ClarkComm in the house there....it's like I'm back home.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:06:46 AM »
I was with Philcom paying 2000 a month for a 5mbps connection. I took screen grabs from OOKLA proving to them that most of the previous 3 months the connection was below 1mbps. I had an outstanding bill of 6000 with them and told them I would only pay if they considered a reduction. They refused any compromise so I just switched to Bayantel (where I get a good 5mbps) and told Philcom to stuff their bill.

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
That's the cost and speed we have and it comes with cable TV.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:21:34 AM »
"Another advantage if you move to AC....we have ClarkComm in the house there....it's like I'm back home."

We noticed that while we were there, the Cable TV actually had choices, the internet was faster...other than moving all our junk, we see no disadvantage to moving to the Pampanga area...

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »

I've read the PI providers are getting their connection via HK and the lag is all connections go thru there instead of just down the street to the local office like it does in the civilized world.  So hit enter and it goes to HK then to the local, then back thru HK to your pc.

Also if coax, the signal does need to be boosted every 500 ft or so....don't notice too many distribution amps on phone poles like you see in the US.  And if copper DSL over the phone, every 2-3 miles. 

Another advantage if you move to AC....we have ClarkComm in the house there....it's like I'm back home.

There are actually multiple places they connect too.  Not too long ago one of the providers paid a substantial sum but were able to connect to a new line that runs from Australia up to I think China or Korea or something.  It also connects to other countries along the way.  Malaysia, Singapore, and more.  Can't remember all of them.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »
I read recently that Australia Telstar or something to that effect is negotiating to come in and start a competition war which is exactly what is needed.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 07:30:04 AM »
I read recently that Australia Telstar or something to that effect is negotiating to come in and start a competition war which is exactly what is needed.

I totally agree, just wonder if the ruling families will let them come in...

Offline Dave_Phils

• Love & Truth
    • Asia Tech & Shopping
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 12:47:26 AM »
I don't think internet is slow and expensive here. Technical issues with service providers are just so often. Also, I see many people here do a lot of nonsense on the internet. That's probably one thing that's slowing it down for people who need it most.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »
Speaking of internet, sorry I was offline since Mon night. They just got it repaired. Had to replace the whole drop. Not surprising since it's almost 8 years old.

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog