Author Topic: International Marriage Broker?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
International Marriage Broker?
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:22 PM »
Ok..so I am helping, (assisting) a friend of mine that met a nice Filipina on Filipinocupid dating site....they started talking over a year ago. After that, they left the service after one month...he traveled to the Philippines and met the lady and their relationship blossomed into a bonified "I love you so much" relationship. So they decided after some thought to get married. There is not a large age difference between them and they get along like "peas and carrots". So I helped him file all the documents, (I-129F) etc..to bring her and her 10 yo son over to the USA for marriage. Everything was going smooth until he received a "Request for Further Information" letter.. The USCIS said he answered 34A on the I-129F as they met on the FilipinoCupid web site and the USCIS considers that an "International Marriage Broker Service". There are disclosures that have to be signed and released by both parties and submit to the USCIS that they still have a bonified relationship or their petition will be dismissed. Or, provide proof that website proves that it is not an International Marriage Broker. On the website it states it is NOT an International Marriage broker. Who do believe here???..what gives?. Has anyone heard of this or had this happen to them??
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline JamesC

• Nickleback99
  • Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living the Dream!
Re: International Marriage Broker?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »
I cannot answer as to the site issue, but can add they even questioned My marriage when we applied this past yr for permanent 10 yr green card after she arrived here Sept 2012.  We were married in 2010 before I went back to A'stan and then petitioned her over on Spousal visa, etc after completed that deployment.  We'd been together since 2007 in Japan, and maintained the usual long distance relationship and me going there 3x per yr basically for 2 wks or more at a time.   I note all this because we had a child last Nov shortly after application and had provided the med records for that and the ultrasound pics, etc, pictures from our vacations, joint credit card and bank account info, mom's funeral, etc  couple affidavits from others who know us well and some pics, and I was Pissed when we got the letter questioning our marriage after all we went through over the yrs. Now you'd Think they'd have the Prior application I did to be able to refer to w/ all the cards, pics and money sent/spent over the yrs, a heck of a package, but nope, it's the Govt and that would be too Efficient!  :-X     So, I replied to their asinine questioning of the marriage being "in good faith" w/ mega copies of cards for b'days and holidays, etc, tons of pics from 2007 to 2014/15 And child's birth cert, financial joint documents Again and with a somewhat Pointed letter and it was approved quickly.   As for the marriage broker thing, that would be news to me, but he should flood them with about 500pics of relationship events, etc,  every receipt for money sent to her and family, every card, every text, etc.    it was pain, but I did all that (Twice) and it worked.     I'll be interested to see what others say, what ultimately happens and keep us posted.    If all else fails, he can go there and get married and then apply for a spousal visa. 
"The Only Easy Day was Yesterday"

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
No Divorce in the Philippines so if she's married she has to get an annulment and those aren't always granted plus the child won't be coming to the US anytime soon either, more like never, unless he fixes his marriage and then legally adopts the child, it don't stop there either he need a home study completion stateside (Travel Visa will not be granted no matter what without a US homestudy) these are very costly something in the range of $30,000.   I feel for your friend big time, he just got hooked up into a whole boatload of baggage and he's a young man.

If he's gonna pursue this relationship he'll need some vast wealth and connections in the Philippines.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:07:41 PM »
   This is a link to the USCIS International Marriage Broker pamphlet. It gives information about the law and what it requires.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Humanitarian/Battered%20Spouse,%20Children%20%26%20Parents/IMBRA%20Pamphlet%20Final%2001-07-2011%20for%20Web%20Posting.pdf

Mike

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »
No Divorce in the Philippines so if she's married she has to get an annulment and those aren't always granted plus the child won't be coming to the US anytime soon either, more like never, unless he fixes his marriage and then legally adopts the child, it don't stop there either he need a home study completion stateside (Travel Visa will not be granted no matter what without a US homestudy) these are very costly something in the range of $30,000.   I feel for your friend big time, he just got hooked up into a whole boatload of baggage and he's a young man.

If he's gonna pursue this relationship he'll need some vast wealth and connections in the Philippines.

Thanks for the reply. She has a NOCEMAR so she is not married nor never has been. The child's birth certificate lists father as "N/A"....(immaculate conception??).. so there is no "father" in the mix demanding parental rights...(i.e. payoff)... .everything is set in that department...it's the "Marriage Broker" thing  that is the problem. They just 'met on there"....the website states they are not a broker and that a relationship may or may not occur....He is sending the "terms of agreement" which states that and both are sending a signed letter attesting to they are not forced into anything. Both have had a background check so they are NOT "abusers"....
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:40:03 PM by Big daddy Ray »
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:08 PM »
   This is a link to the USCIS International Marriage Broker pamphlet. It gives information about the law and what it requires.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Humanitarian/Battered%20Spouse,%20Children%20%26%20Parents/IMBRA%20Pamphlet%20Final%2001-07-2011%20for%20Web%20Posting.pdf

Thanks Mike..

Mike

(moved reply from quoted to reply area)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:03:28 PM by Diba »

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:49 AM »
Ok..so I am helping, (assisting) a friend of mine that met a nice Filipina on Filipinocupid dating site....they started talking over a year ago. After that, they left the service after one month...he traveled to the Philippines and met the lady and their relationship blossomed into a bonified "I love you so much" relationship. So they decided after some thought to get married. There is not a large age difference between them and they get along like "peas and carrots". So I helped him file all the documents, (I-129F) etc..to bring her and her 10 yo son over to the USA for marriage. Everything was going smooth until he received a "Request for Further Information" letter.. The USCIS said he answered 34A on the I-129F as they met on the FilipinoCupid web site and the USCIS considers that an "International Marriage Broker Service". There are disclosures that have to be signed and released by both parties and submit to the USCIS that they still have a bonified relationship or their petition will be dismissed. Or, provide proof that website proves that it is not an International Marriage Broker. On the website it states it is NOT an International Marriage broker. Who do believe here???..what gives?. Has anyone heard of this or had this happen to them??

After this post WildBill posted about a new law, Anti-Mail Order Spouse Act.Passed.. http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=50315.0
I suspect they should have never told the US that they met on a dating site, that might be the problem. What is illegal in the Philippines may also be thought of as illegal when related to trying to get a visa.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 09:25:14 PM by Lee2 »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
I can't address your problem, but years ago we were having problems with my wife's U.S. citizenship papers. We waited for a responce after
about 6 months I called the Federal court in our area and explained the problem to the Judges secertary. She told me she would call me back,
I thought here go 6 more months. She called back the same day and my wife finished all of her citizenship stuff by the end of the week.
She told me that there was a problem with an employee not our paper work and the problem was fixed.
As long as all the paper work is in order you can always go up to the next person in charge.

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:21 PM »
Update to original post: All is well. After the USCIS was insistent the Filipino Cupid was an international marriage broker site...I sent them their "terms of service" stating they were not an international marriage broker  ... and asked them to accept this as proof....they sent another letter saying they accepted the explanation and had forwarded  the paperwork for further processing. Go figure eh.....

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog