Author Topic: The law and protests  (Read 1943 times)

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
The law and protests
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »
Not that I would expect any members here to be joining protests, but I thought this interesting with reference to the APEC summit and protests.

“As a rule they (foreigners) are not allowed to join protests. But we have to balance the situation. If the protest is peaceful, we will allow them (foreigners) to be there. But they will be dealt with after the protest. We have coordinated with the Bureau of Immigration,” said Molitas.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: The law and protests
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »
Absolutely no freedom of speech here, I've seen many on the news get booted and black listed, so I'll bet foreigners will be watched or their Visa's not renewed.  Reason the Philippine news outlets are complete and total waste of information.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 12:01:37 AM »
It's good for PI to host this type of events. Looking at big picture and I hope that they grasp this years APEC theme “Building Inclusive Economies, Building a Better World”, the priorities pursued into their agenda include fostering micro, small and medium enterprises’ (MSMEs) participation in regional and global markets; investing in human capital development; building sustainable and resilient communities; and enhancing the regional economic integration agenda".

@mcalleyboy....don't think its worth joining anyways. Most likely if any foreigner/s participate at all, it goes back to you representing the country you came from and media will use and twist your "point of view"  be lost in translation...

Educated people or people knowledgable enough to understand are best to watch in TV, turn on your DVR and enjoy your day outside of APEC...my two cents..

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 05:32:45 AM »
What's the use in protesting? Nada! Any country in the world can have their APEC Summits, but if none of them can influence any country to solve or end poverty, hunger, lack of employment, freedom of travel, traffic congestion and especially international land disputes, what's the use of hosting an APEC Summit at all? It's all about a bunch of lip service where no one is listening, because they're all just too busy stuffing their bellies on the Lechon (no caviar at the party, Putin brought his own though)! Just saying..............   
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »
Absolutely no freedom of speech here, I've seen many on the news get booted and black listed, so I'll bet foreigners will be watched or their Visa's not renewed.  Reason the Philippine news outlets are complete and total waste of information.
In the USA, we hate when foreigners protest stuff here. Don't see why they should have freedom in a foreign land. I completely understand the government's point.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:23 AM »
I think foreigners would be seen as meddling in local affairs.  It could also be interpreted as inciting unrest. Just like Americans should never condone Russians organizing protests to sow discord among its peoples.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog