Author Topic: Philippines relocation  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Cullster

Philippines relocation
« on: November 28, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
Hi there.
I am an English man with a family currently living in Spain. I work offshore in the South China Sea and my wife and I have been contemplating relocating to the Philippines for a while with our children who are 7 and 9 years old. I have Filipino friends at work who tell me it is a lovely country and I have others who tell me how dangerous it is etc. We have been looking online at the Subic area but we are going to keep an open mind as to where we will make our home. First and foremost we are looking for a safe place to live which also has good International schools. If anyone has any advice on this topic or could offer other advice we would appreciate it greatly. Thanks In Advance.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
Re: Philippines relocation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
Hi there.
I am an English man with a family currently living in Spain. I work offshore in the South China Sea and my wife and I have been contemplating relocating to the Philippines for a while with our children who are 7 and 9 years old. I have Filipino friends at work who tell me it is a lovely country and I have others who tell me how dangerous it is etc. We have been looking online at the Subic area but we are going to keep an open mind as to where we will make our home. First and foremost we are looking for a safe place to live which also has good International schools. If anyone has any advice on this topic or could offer other advice we would appreciate it greatly. Thanks In Advance.
Hi & Welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home and enjoy what we have to offer. Keep posting and you will soon be off moderation. Many here who are pleased to help. Again welcome aboard sir.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »
I have Filipino friends at work who tell me it is a lovely country

Welcome to the forum. For each of us the definition of a lovely country might be very different and besides that, different parts of the country are totally different, some nice and some far from nice, maybe also ask your same friends which parts they consider lovely and work out from there. The Philippines consists of 7,107 islands with Luzon, the Central islands and Mindanao being what might be consider the major areas.

For your job possibly a place near international airports, that might narrow it down a little.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_the_Philippines

Then for international schools, here is a list but there may be more since this list was published, so putting the airports and schools together might also narrow it down . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_schools_in_the_Philippines
http://tinyurl.com/par4dj3

Another thing, you say a family, so is your wife Filipino? If so, do the children also have Philippine citizenship? If not, then visas for all might be something else you need to look into before such a move.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:38:12 AM »
I would not dream of bringing two young children here.

Offline Cullster

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 11:42:24 AM »
Thank you for your advice and links. My wife is British and I am going to make an appointment at the Spanish consulate in Spain when I go home. I have researched also and found that we can get a 30 day tourist visa which can be extended every 6 months for a maximum of 3 years. Thanks again the links will come in handy

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:17:55 PM »
I would not dream of bringing two young children here.
Why is that? Depending on where they plan to live, there's adequate decent schools here if one can afford to live in an upscale community with a nanny and personal driver!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 02:33:49 PM »
Like Art said it depends on where one want to live. We moved here for good in 2009 when our daughter was 4 yrs. old. Live in the province of North Luzon. There are decent schools here, not the best but good enough for a young child. Wife got her and daughter dual citizenship before we left the U.S. So far our child is doing good and we are please with her progress.
One of the problem you may encounter is the visa. Seeing that your child and wife are not Philippines born as you stated. Will need to do a lot of visa extensions. Not sure if i could do that.
Check all your options and see what is best for you.
Good luck.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 03:02:47 PM »
Check all your options and see what is best for you.
For Cullster,
If you checked into the SRRV for your wife before she became a dual citizen, she could have added you and your daughter to the program and all of you could have been permanent residents without having to bother with all of the BB stamp and or visa extensions and still only use a U.S. passport.
I know of a member who both had 13A/G visas and terminated them and got their SRRV for a former Filipino citizen who have not yet become a dual citizen. 13A or G visas aren't what they are cracked up to be! The 13A/G visa process is too much of a hassle vs the more simpler SRRV if one can qualify for the $1,500 bank security deposit vs the regular $10,000 deposit, which IMO is a small price to pay to avoid all the visa hassles.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:15:47 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
Art,

I see no where that Cullster, said his wife is dual citizen or Filipina.  What he did say was she is British, so the SRRV for a former Philippine citizen would not apply.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »
ok not 100% sure on this but before i came here i looked into the retirement visa's they cost more the younger you are but at 50 you need deposited into a bank here 10k US dollars and not touch it unless into property.(only philippino's can own land ).so if he got that again not sure but i read wife and dependant kids under 18 also use same visa .those with more knowledge can add to this as a option .the other thing he mentioned is visitor visa well this again depends where he settles on how annoying it could be . visitor visa can get a 6 month one and renew for up to 3 years yes .he will be traveling in and out so unless stay here longer than the free 30 day visa he wont need visa runs only the wife and child will need those extentions then at the 3 year mark they can do a easy 24 other country run then start again.

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 05:30:17 PM »
Art,

I see no where that Cullster, said his wife is dual citizen or Filipina.  What he did say was she is British, so the SRRV for a former Philippine citizen would not apply.

Chuck
My bad, but If that be the case that they're both British citizens (wife not a Filipino), they shouldn't even consider living in the Philippines, except for maybe just a short free 30 day visit and then go somewhere else to stay for the long term where the visa is free up to 90 or 180 days for British citizens at some countries (Hong Kong is one of them where British citizens are given 180 days free visa permit) or just return to their own home country, unless the whole family prefers to stay somewhere in Asia due to employment issues.
I don't want to hijack this thread and stray off the main topic, but for former Filipino citizens 50 yrs and older have the option for permanent residency under the SRRV with only a $1,500 bank security deposit and without having to become a dual citizen so that their foreign spouse and or children can be added on to the sponsor's SRRV application. Just a thought for those who are eligible for this sort of permanent resident visa vs a 13A/G visa.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:44:38 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog