Author Topic: Screen Windows on the inside??  (Read 4362 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Screen Windows on the inside??
« on: December 09, 2015, 03:30:17 PM »
Our house should be finished in Feb and I was looking at the house we are renting and it just dawned on me the screen windows are on the inside of the house.  Just to make sure I wasnt crazy, I texted a friend of mind in the US and confirmed the screen windows are on the outside (at least in the USA).  I told our contractor I want the screen windows on the outside and he kind of looked at me like I was nuts. 
Do you all have screen windows on the inside of the house?  It just doesnt make sense to me to do it like that.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Screen Windows on the inside??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
Yeah, all of our double meshed aluminum window screens are on the outside of the windows, with iron grills outside of the window screens. Even our main entry and rear door of our home also has iron grills with dead bolt locks and also has double meshed aluminum screens attached to the iron grills. Kind of overkill though on the security aspect of it all, but would be thieves will have a hell of a time breaking into our home and besides our security guard house is just next door to us, a stone throw away! ;)
Well JJ, you and your wife been to our home here in Sta Rosa, we're ready to go see your new home in Tagaytay and try some of your fancy brew. Have you now started making your own brew lately? 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
you and your wife are welcome here anytime.  I wont start making beer until we move into the new house, HOWEVER, there is always beer in the house, always!
We are going to Manila on Sunday (I want to see that "Creed" movie), but any other time, just let me know in advance so we can make sure we go to the market.....  All Pinoy food here Art, so you are gonna have to dig deep into your roots!!

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:31:24 PM »
What type of windows will be in the house?  Many houses have windows that open outward and the screens are on the inside.  If you have windows that slide open, then you can have screens on the inside.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 05:51:44 PM »
Our windows open outwards so our screens are on the inside.  No grills on the windows, sorry don't like the jail/prison effect, have fought the walled yard for 5 years, but will probably build one late next year.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:42 PM »
What type of windows will be in the house?  Many houses have windows that open outward and the screens are on the inside.  If you have windows that slide open, then you can have screens on the inside.
Havent picked out the windows yet, but for sure they will allow for the screens to be on the outside.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »
Well then you will have sliding or single/double hung windows.  Most others open outwards.  Your contractor may have never installed these type of windows.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »
Haven't picked out the windows yet, but for sure they will allow for the screens to be on the outside.
Make sure you pick out new windows that are somewhat leak proof during strong winds with heavy rain so the water doesn't get inside. Some of our sliding windows aren't too leak proof and during strong winds with heavy rain water gets into the house. One of these days, we need to save up and replace most of our windows that aren't too leak proof.
Also doubled pain windows would be nice and or tinted windows helps to lower the heat, but both types will cost a little bit more than your average local RP made windows, but then again you guys live in Tagaytay with the cooler weather and don't need all that or A/C, just open all of your windows to let in all the cool breeze day or night. 
Our new neighbor, a foreigner with his live-in G/F ( both somewhat antisocial) just across the street from us have all their windows tinted dark and just recently had installed solar panels above their flat roofed garage. Their house, same style & model as ours was extensively renovated inside and out before they moved in.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:46:54 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
I install window blinds every day in the US.  With double hung or sliding windows the screen is on the outside. Any type of swing out window, awning or casement, has the screen on the inside.
Mike........

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »
I install window blinds every day in the US.  With double hung or sliding windows the screen is on the outside. Any type of swing out window, awning or casement, has the screen on the inside.
Thanks Blindman!  Which would you recommend?

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 11:09:10 PM »

Not Blindman...but...

The type of window you us depends on a lot of circumstances.  My dad remodeled homes throughout my childhood.  Typically he went with the double hung window when he could.  Basically, top and bottom pain with the bottom opening up to allow air to come in/go out.  The screen is on the outside on this type. 

If he Was building a house that the wind blew mostly "along" a side of the house and not at it(in more "urban" setting with a lot of houses closer together) he'd put in the crank windows where the screen is on the inside.  Some of the wider but large size windows he'd go with a single or double slide with the screen again on the outside.

The type of window you use depends a lot on the size, location of house, and other such things.  Any window that is built properly can have a screen on it that will do it's job. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 01:48:12 AM »
Louvred windows make more sense for ventilation here and also you can then put the screens on the outside.

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »
Louvred windows make more sense for ventilation here and also you can then put the screens on the outside.
As for louvered windows, you have to consider the security aspect, because louvered windows aka jalousie type louvered windows  http://tinyurl.com/pgcfcky in the Philippines are easy to remove and more so when there aren't any screens or iron grills in place.
We've had a rash of break-ins in our subdivision and most of the homes only have sliding windows without any screens and or iron grills. We have sliding windows, screens and iron grills on all of our windows and main entry front and rear doors, we feel safe and secure in our home 24/7 and would be thieves would have a hard time breaking into our home.
Just yesterday, one or our neighbor's home was broken into about 2 am when their dog started barking and woke them up, but fortunately nothing was stolen. They have no screens and or iron grills on any of their windows. Just because one lives in a nice subdivision does not preclude in not having any break-ins in one's home, unless adequate security measures are in place. A lot of burglaries seems to be due to "inside job" informants from domestic helpers and construction crews, because they know what you have or not, so thieves are selective IMO.

Just found this article of the average installation of windows in the Philippines.
http://myphilippinelife.com/our-philippine-house-project-windows/

I know that our home seems to be a little bit of an overkill with all the iron grills, but it sure helps our sense of security.
(See pic below of our home, does it look like a prison? Click on image to enlarge)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:14:47 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »

Not Blindman...but...

The type of window you us depends on a lot of circumstances.  My dad remodeled homes throughout my childhood.  Typically he went with the double hung window when he could.  Basically, top and bottom pain with the bottom opening up to allow air to come in/go out.  The screen is on the outside on this type. 

If he Was building a house that the wind blew mostly "along" a side of the house and not at it(in more "urban" setting with a lot of houses closer together) he'd put in the crank windows where the screen is on the inside.  Some of the wider but large size windows he'd go with a single or double slide with the screen again on the outside.

The type of window you use depends a lot on the size, location of house, and other such things.  Any window that is built properly can have a screen on it that will do it's job.
As Joel points out, there are reasons to pick one type over another, for instance ease of washing or how much of a breeze will it pick up when open.  I replaced our windows with awning crank out windows even though the handles interfere with the blinds.  With casement or awning a strong wind actually blowns them shut, ans opposed to the wind  leaking between the panels of glass.

(moved post outside quote box Lee2)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:42:17 PM by Lee2 »
Mike........

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:03 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I am going to go with the one Joel mentioned, the top and bottom pane with the window pushing up to open!!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog