Author Topic: Member sacalait Planning our move  (Read 12129 times)

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
Member sacalait Planning our move
« on: March 05, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »
Hello, My name is Scott. I have a woman from the Philippines who has worked in Brunei for 20 years. She is denied a visa to the US because there are no strong ties, as they put it. But, she owns property and a home in Flora. She has asked that I move there to Flora so we can be together and get married. I very much entertain this, but just want to ask others here how their life is now that they are in the Philippines? Will I lose my Social Security if I move there with her? I love this woman, and we are both getting up in age. I have visited her twice in Brunei, and we both agree that we should be married, and together. No matter where. I am seriously thinking about giving it all up here in the US to go there and live. Any others here with a similar situation? Thanks for any input....Scott

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Re: Member sacalait Planning our move
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »
You will not lose your social security.  As far as the rest, IMO, only you can answer that.  You are asking a bunch of people (whom you dont know) that decided to live in the Philippines if you should live in the Philippines.  The best advice I can give you is to come to the Philippines for a visit, and see if you can live here.  One mans paradise is another mans hell, so I cant see you making a decision like that without testing the waters yourself.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:36:50 AM »
Flora is a third class municipality in the province of Apayao, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 16,743 people.[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora,_Apayao
I personally do not know anything about that area, hopefully one of the other members will, but if you are the type of person who can roll with the punches and accept that this is more or less a third world country and usually things are done as such, then this can be a great place to live, or vacation for lengthy times, all IMHO.

Once married and living here for 6 months or longer, and should you find that you do not like it, and then want to bring your wife back to the US, then you can file for a Direct Consular Filing which currently takes 6 to 8 weeks for approval.

If you are on social security because of age, then you will not lose it.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:01:59 PM »
Scott
You need to take it real slow.
Maybe go over and stay for a few months, see how you like it before you leave everything behind.
Have you ever been to the P.I. it's not for everyone?
If you are not realy careful your golden years might not be so golden.
On the other hand you might find it to be the greatest place in the world.
Tell us more about yourself, what your plans are,
Most of all ask lots of questions.
good luck!

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:10:21 PM »
Thank you Frosty!
I would not go if she could get a visa. I will go there and marry her, then try to bring her here to the US. I wish I could bring her here now, because I am still working, and have a great job that I enjoy. I also do pretty well money wise. Has anyone here had difficulties in getting a visa to come to the US? The consul in Brunei is very small, and only 2 interviewers. They say you can't get the same interviewer twice, but on her 3rd application, if there was to be one, she surely would have the same interviewer? I never heard of the Direct Consular Filing? Anyone there to give me details?
As always, thanks to all who reply. Scott

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:39:39 AM »
Here is one topic on the DCF http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=48956.0

You can find a number of topics in this section on visas for the wife http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=111.0

There is another way to get your lady a visa, file a fiancee visa for her once you have met in person and can prove it with passport stamps and photos of you two together and photos of you both with her family would no doubt also help, and I doubt that would get rejected. Many people apply for a visa to the US and get rejected, the US rarely approves visas for single females or even males unless they can prove roots tied to the Philippines which would more or less make them come home.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:46:22 AM by Mr. Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:55:31 AM »
Thank you Mr. Lee. It is difficult for both of us.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »
Thank you Mr. Lee. It is difficult for both of us.
It is always difficult when dating someone from the other side of the world, I met my wife in person on Mindanao almost 23 years ago when the US embassy then and still to this day, is still warning not to go to Mindanao, yet I still went and visited and got to know her in person after 3 years of knowing her on the phone and in letters, those were the days before computers. If you have not gone to meet your lady in person, then do so and maybe you both can vacation in her area of the Philippines and meet her parents and relatives, to learn so much more about her and her culture. If you have not been to a third world country then I can tell you that it might be a harsh awakening, I know that trip made me realize just how lucky I was and am to have grown up in a first world country and gave me a new appreciation for my life and for the Filipino people...

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 02:19:30 AM »
Thank you Mr. Lee,
I have been to see her twice in just 5 months. We are sure of our relationship. We only wish to be together. I am willing to go there, but I would really like to bring her here for a while to see the US. Thank you for sharing. Scott

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 02:26:53 AM »
I grew up very poor in Mississippi, with no running water, air conditioning, etc. I know I can handle living 3rd world, but she deserves to be here to see what 1st world living is like. Currently, in Brunei, she lives in mold infested apartment, which is really bad for women. I found this out after hurricane Katrina, when I lived in Louisiana, and my ex got really ill from mold. I am thankful to have this forum to be able to talk with people who share my experience, and are willing to give me advice. Thanks again. Scott.

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 02:36:58 AM »
My regards to you Mr. Lee! Yes, it must have been difficult for you then. There was no internet, Viber, or Skype communications. I really sometimes wish that it could be back to letters, and a phone call once in a while. Now, we can talk everyday. We get to know moods of everyday, and sometimes just do not feel like talking, because there is only so many times you can say the same thing? We repeat ourselves often by talking everyday, and it gets old. It is my pleasure to talk to you, and hear other peoples experiences. Thank you very much. Scott.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 02:42:02 AM »
You are welcome Scott, you are not alone and many of us know how you feel. I suggest you try the fiancee visa as long as she is able to marry but IMHO you really should go to the Philippines for a vacation, you will learn so much about her, her family and the Philippines, that IMO would be well worth it and besides that you can stay up to 30 days without a visa, so maybe think about planning a vacation together and work out the rest from there.

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 03:19:31 AM »
Thanks Mr. Lee,
Yes, I am going the first part of May to her home to see what it is all about. I met her sister in Manila on my last trip, while passing through from Brunei. I like her, and she is the older sister. She expressed that I would be approved of by her family there in Flora. She could see that I love her sister. I hope my travel there ensures them that I can be a good husband to their sister? Her brothers have yet to meet me, but I can get along with anyone, and know how to live poor. I hope that the brothers accept me. I will keep everyone interested here, as to the outcome of my stay in Flora without hot water or air conditioning? I think I can handle it? Please stay in touch, and I will accept any of your advise. Thank you very much! Scott.

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 03:24:15 AM »
Any suggestions as to clothes? Jeans and T-shirts? How do you stay clean smelling? etc?
Thanks for any help here with personal cleanliness? Scott

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 03:29:26 AM »
Mr. Lee,
Do you shave with cold water? It may sound like I ask dumb questions? I just will like to know what to expect? Is it comfortable there at night? Coolness wise? Can you get a nights rest in cool air? Or, is it hot at night? I guess I am just looking for answers about simple things from someone who has been there. You know how spoiled I am here in the US?

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog