Author Topic: Member sacalait Planning our move  (Read 12134 times)

Offline conchydong

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Member sacalait Planning our move
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:19 AM »
My suggestion is to move to the Philippines in a mutual agreed upon locale and "hire" her as a live in maid and let her go through the annulment process as time allows. As the song says, "No one knows what goes on behind closed doors".

Good luck to you and your loved one.

From another Scott.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 08:27:34 AM »
What I am reading is that I can go to prison for loving a woman who has been away from her husband for 8 years? If I go to her home, and tell everyone there that I love her, and wish to marry her, I will be in prison? What is wrong with this world? I am now having bad thoughts. Not just about this, but because some say the water is polluted? I cant get a good warm bath? A hot shave is not to be found? Food is 2 days old? My God? Thanks for all who speak the truth! I was about to give my life in Texas up? To move there and be with the one I really love. Wow!

Why the emphasis on going to her home place to live? Anyone here would tell you it is more advisable to live far away from her family as living close often creates problems for foreigners. Live in a reasonable hotel for now at a reasonable distance (100 miles!)  where you will have hot water and fresh food.  Apartment rental is very cheap here. Discretion is advisable when dealing with family or friends.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
My suggestion is to move to the Philippines in a mutual agreed upon locale and "hire" her as a live in maid and let her go through the annulment process as time allows. As the song says, "No one knows what goes on behind closed doors".

Good luck to you and your loved one.

From another Scott.
That is a great idea but it might be hard to not show affection to someone you love when in public places, yet still a great idea if he and she can manage to keep it quiet when at home  ;) and keep their distance when in public...
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 10:13:37 PM »
Once again, thanks to all who have offered advice and tips. Keep them coming! Please? I am booking my flights this week for my visit to Flora. She will meet me in Manila, and we will stay a few nights alone, before going to her home. She sent pictures of her house yesterday. It is a very nice place. No air conditioning, but it shouldn't be that bad the first part of May, heat wise? There is a shower room, but bathroom is outside. Reminds me of my childhood. Thanks again! Scott

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 11:03:27 PM »
Scott,
Looks like your typical area out in the province in Northern Luzon. http://tinyurl.com/hu3e77v
My question for you is, will you use a tabo or T/P? http://tinyurl.com/hlsumwn ??? :o ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline conchydong

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:08 PM »
Looks like it is not too far from Pagudpud, which is one of my favorite places in N. Luzon.

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »
Just so you know.  The first of May is the hottest time in the Middle to North of Luzon.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »
What I am reading is that I can go to prison for loving a woman who has been away from her husband for 8 years? If I go to her home, and tell everyone there that I love her, and wish to marry her, I will be in prison? What is wrong with this world? I am now having bad thoughts. Not just about this, but because some say the water is polluted? I cant get a good warm bath? A hot shave is not to be found? Food is 2 days old? My God? Thanks for all who speak the truth! I was about to give my life in Texas up? To move there and be with the one I really love. Wow!
I cant really comment on the "going to prison", however I think that might be overblown.  As far as the rest hmmmm I didnt realize I was eating old food, drinking polluted water, taking cold showers....  Wait a minute none of that is true, at least not for me.  Hot water everyday, the freshest foods/fruits/Veggies you could imagine and I have not gotten sick yet from drinking the water. 

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »
I cant really comment on the "going to prison", however I think that might be overblown.  As far as the rest hmmmm I didnt realize I was eating old food, drinking polluted water, taking cold showers....  Wait a minute none of that is true, at least not for me.  Hot water everyday, the freshest foods/fruits/Veggies you could imagine and I have not gotten sick yet from drinking the water.
We were referring to in some of the provinces, according to what I posted earlier, there are only around 17,000 people living in the area his lady is from and where she wants him to move to, I suggest you go back and read all the posts to get a better idea of what members are commenting on. Also I suspect that you do not live in the provinces since I sort of know where yours live based on yours and other members posts, so your life should be quite different.

As for the prison overblown, again read the posts, it can happen and has happened, as written before, it will depend on a lot of things.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »

JJ,

Philippine laws are not normally enforced against a Filipino, but they will be readily enforced against a foreigner.  Having had a Visa problem here previously which was cause by a licensed travel agency I can attest to that.  In regards to the water I have never had a problem either but I do not drink the tap water even in our subdivision.  We too eat the freshest foods/fruits/Veggies but that is not true for all the people here and depends largely on their income.  We do not have hot water in our two story/3 bdrm/2 bath house by my choice since I do not want to add the wall mounted water heaters.  When we add an actual western style bath room that one will have all the amenities including hot water.  As for the people who actually live a provincial style no they normally do not have hot water nor a fridge to put their leftovers in.  I am happy for the lifestyle many of us live in but it is not necessarily the life style of the majority of Filipinos.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »
Some of this has been gone over, but here's my suggestions for you and info for your questions.
1. Your ssi or ssdi will work here.  I've know people on both, including myself, that have these.  They will work.  BUT, your insurance that is attached to it, will not.  If you are making the serious full time move here, go to your local SS office and there is an option to cut your insurance and add the premium to your income.

2. Third world type living is cheap living.  Sounds like your lover has good connections there.  I bring this up because for between $25-50K USD you can build a nice cement structured building here with AC and all that you desire for it like an "American style bathroom" and what not.  If that's in your ability then that's always an option.

3. I'm sorta in the middle here.  The area I live has 3 hospitals(one is a joke really, but the other two, by pinoy standards, are not bad).  Here's what I also know, when you go east of where i live into the even more rural areas, talking areas like you are looking, the hospital where I am at(about an hours drive away) is the closest.  So you get the pic.  Probably not much of a chance you'll have any of the big pharmacy companies(philippine style major) in your village/municipality.  So plan on that also.

4. Most locals are friendly and if you are friendly back will be more apt to help you out(if they can, language barrier can come into problem a lot) rather than seek to scorn you.  Don't mistake shyness for scorn.  Many when they see you, if they feel they cannot relate, communicate will turn from you, even with their face/heads only, and walk on.

5.  Make sure this is the place for you.  Stated many times already, but this is HUGE.  My friend, you may have grown up poor in the south, but their is still a HUGE difference.  At least all your neighbors spoke like you, lived like you, or understood your living.  These people, whether it's true or not, will see you as a billionaire from who they can score some money.  No matter how much your lover/wife/fiance might say otherwise, they'll seek money, raise the prices of things they sell, and do what they can to take, get, beg for your money.  While they may live the way you did when you were young, it doesn't make the area they live in anything like where you grew up.

6.  There is always the tourist visa.  It takes dedication, time and work to get it.  Most of the "lower tier" workers at the embassy and consulate are freaking clueless about it.  But, I know two Americans who both went to the Embassy and spent a day, or 2 days for one, going up the rankings till they got someone who admitted that yes, he COULD get a tourist visa for his GF and act as the sponsor.  All the lower level workers know are asawa visa, fiance visa, and worker visas.  And that's all they push, and understand.  Pretty uneducated workforce.  I think it's the 12a or 12b.  Forget which is for work and which is for tourist.  And it will take some work while here to get to the people that understand it and will help you set it up.  The asawa visas are needed the wedding contract, US or Phils(maybe others, I don't know for sure).  So if you get her to the US on a tourist, and marry her there(make sure you stay upfront and honest with the immigration on that fact that you DID get married in the US) then when you return you can apply for that asawa visa.  The fiance visa is it's own monster.  Your lover will have to do stuff like attend a class that tells her how awful we foreign men are and how we'll turn her and all her friends into sex slaves and all that.  Just so you have a little more update on that.

7.  if this is your woman, the one you feel your hear jump and be happy when ever you talk to here or are with her, these are all worth going through for her.  And I wish you well.  But, really, I suggest you visit at least once.  Search hard and long and deep and get some real nice prices on tickets for a round trip.  Come for a month or two.  Get the cheapest throw away ticket(read more on that on those threads) and just get the extensions at the local BOI office and see if where she calls home is the place for you.  If it is?  Make the move my man.  If it needs improvement?  See if it's affordable for you.  Feel the area out for more than just people and costs.  See how often there is blackout/brownouts in the electrical system.  See how the internet connection is.  There's a lot to look for that if you just seek a straight move there that could bite you in the butt if you don't first make a test trip.  If you two are meant to be together, needed an extra year to get things set up so that you can make and afford a test trip is well worth it. 

I wish you the best of luck, I really do.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I at our SIL 60th Bday.
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 04:51:05 PM »
Some of this has been gone over, but here's my suggestions for you and info for your questions.
1. Your SSI or SSDI will work here.  I've know people on both, including myself, that have these.  They will work.  BUT, your insurance that is attached to it, will not.  If you are making the serious full time move here, go to your local SS office and there is an option to cut your insurance and add the premium to your income.
Excellent post Joe with one exception. Just an FYI: SSDI will work here because it is federal disability insurance. SSI however is supplemented by the individual state of residence and stops 30 calendar days after you leave the US. Everything else is spot on sir.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP LEE ***

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »
Great post Joel.  I too have a great interest in much of what you said.  In fact I will share some of it with my lady friend.
Mike........

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 01:13:54 AM »
Joel, thank you very much for the post! It really gave me some things I have been looking for. Scott

Offline sacalait

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 01:20:50 AM »
Joel, any way to get advice from the guys who were successful in getting the tourist visa for their women? I would spend 2 days at the embassy if this will work. No problem.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog