Author Topic: Things that upset us related to living in the Philippines  (Read 4761 times)

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Things that upset us related to living in the Philippines
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
yes lee thats my big issues here lack of stock examples. i got to jollibee lunch time they have no french-fries wtf no fries really . next i go pizza hut Robinson imus now this location annoys me the most , no ice , no banana for split,no fish for fish chips , no drinks they show on menu , no chicken for chicken and fries,no fries for meal deals,no pan pizza after 7pm they cant make a new one wtf:( , but my bigest one at pizza hut is the banana as they had promo if did online survey after eating you get code for free split every single time no bananas so i threw a fit last time told then to go grocery-store and buy a dam banana its 100 meters away at most. they did go get a banana. even mc'd's no breakfast and not even 10 am sold out omg does no one know to order ahead for the stores how can they run out its frozen supplies just store extra in freezers. i could go on and on and i only lived here 1 year and half but i accept it now sorry sir out of stock lol. the white people priceing also dont help had aircon guys quote me at the house 1100 to clean and replace a condenser gf gets home price all sudden goes down to 700

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
Re: Things that upset us related to living in the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:24:58 AM »
How about Duncan Donuts with no coffee out of stock maybe 5 days sir? Robinsons Supermarket 20 Feet away sells coffee guess its the culture

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »
There are so many things that I read that upset some of us who are not locals, so I thought I would start this topic so members can vent., Venting just gives us a place to get it off our chests and it not necessarily complaining about the Philippines, more like wishing those things could change.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:33:39 AM »
My reply in the New category added was off topic so I moved my post to this topic.
As for the irritating things about the Philippines, we, you and I and others who visit, see them more because we go back and forth and are used to customer service where we come from, here not so much. One thing that always burns me the most is to find an item on the menu in a restaurant and to ask about it, and then get a full explanation from the server as to what it is and how great it is, then when I go to order it, the reply is out of stock, which makes me wonder why the heck they went to the trouble of promoting it so hard, only for it to not be available  :o and how can a restaurant in a mall be out of soda when they can go downstairs and buy it and make a huge profit over the cost.  :o  It is more fun in the Philippines, but while I mention these things and others on the forum, I really do not let any of them bother me, I hope you can laugh at them too.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:11:01 PM by Lee2 »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
We eat at home like 95 percent of the time, so I dont run into the restaurant issues.  The absolute number one thing that chaps my ass is TRASH.  Its everywhere and nobody seems to care how it looks and what it does to the land they live off of.  From the provinces: Shitting, laundry, bathing and just throwing trash in the rivers and oceans, to the city where trash is a way of life.
Went to batangas and finally decided on a "RESORT" to enjoy a day at the beach, and I learned quickly the word resort does not mean the same here as it does in the USA or other countries.  Trash on the beach and trash in the water.
Drives my wife nuts too.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 02:59:10 PM »
Living where we are now for over 15 yrs, nothing bothers us too much anymore since we have much of the conveniences all around us just within a 1/4 mile radius. So, if one place is out of stock of what we're looking for, there are others nearby we can go to within minutes.
We don't bother tripping around the Philippines anymore, since traffic going anywhere is such a big hassle and the sight of poverty, stench and trash everywhere is a big turnoff too!   
Since we're both tired of all the travelling in the past, we're now pretty much a stay at home recluse and don't mind it, because ever since becoming a permanent resident we're happy and content just staying at home with all the nearby conveniences all around us.   
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:17:13 PM »
CBTL -  we bought their coffee maker,  3 boxes of their coffee and a couple of cups (@ 400 php ea).   Just as we were getting accustomed to the taste -  they ran out of supply.
Retail staff - do they know the products they sell?
Pets or stray - cats,  dog's poop everywhere!
I can go on ...

Offline Danson L.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 05:11:50 AM »
Everything I read on this topic is right on 1000%. Two things I really dislike are that there are TWO PRICES here, one for the WHITE man and the other for the Filipino. That is a fact, and it is an accepted practice. The other is the close proximity with noisy, nasty, stinking, dogs and cats. I live  in a restricted governmental compound, and I am a home occupant.There is a 8 feet fence in the rear, and the same on the side of my residence, however,  two neighbors on the other side of the fences, one had 14 cats in a cage, and 11 dogs in another container, the other neighbor  has 12 dogs and 6 cats in cages. The dogs bark 24 hours a day non stop. The stench is  horrible due to filthy conditions that exist. TWO things are apparent here, mangy, filthy, starving dogs and cats in and out of cages is an accepted practice, and here a white man is looked at like he/she is a money tree.  THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that a person can do about these problems.  Any attempt to correct these accepted practices will bring retaliations beyond belief. One solution is to move where the BIG MONEY folks live, but that is impossible for most of us.

Offline bcnorth

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 08:04:03 AM »
Danson, I am a white Romani, a gypsy. Do you think I could perhaps obtain a better price in the market if I should tell the sellers I am a Romani?

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
Danson, I am a white Romani, a gypsy. Do you think I could perhaps obtain a better price in the market if I should tell the sellers I am a Romani?

I am an olive complexion Hispanic with a Hispanic surname.  There is a city in Rizal prov. with my family surname, plus two congressmen and many streets in the country using my surname.  Dealing on the phone/email is no problem because they think I am Filipino, but face to face I let my asawa do the transactions.  Even with my complexion being 6'2" approx 240 lbs does not help me pass my self off as a Filipino.

Chuck

Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »
It's more fun in the Philippines, yes reading all of the above it can be irritating at times but you just have to accept and get on with your life there.
When we moved from Manila to La Union I got prices from 3 different companies, 25 to 40 thousand pesos to move a 2 bed condo, my better half who was working when I did this told me it was too expensive, called the cheaper company for a price and it was suddenly 12,500 Pesos. When I want prices for things there now I always get the boss to do it.
Service in big department stores can be overwhelming too, an attendant on every aisle or 2, sir would you like to buy this belt, sir that shirt would look good on you, sir we have more products over here. We don't get service like that in western countries, in fact you have to chase an attendant for help.
I felt intimidated and pressured every time I/We went shopping, after a few months I got used to it and now consider it a blessing as it creates employment and we get great service!
McDonalds,,,,,,,,,,,,NO THICK SHAKES!!!!!! Dispair, not that we go there often but now if we do i get a soda or water, no big deal, etc.
For me I love the people and county for who they are especially, and the country for its beauty, the good far out ways the bad, that's why we will be moving back in the next 2 to 3 years: We miss it.
Cheers, Steve

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 11:02:09 AM »
The only place I have ever encountered trying to be charged more is at the wet market, and I have zero problem with them trying to charge me more.  I know the prices and I haggle and always get the same price as filipino's.  They are never angry about me haggling either.   

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
The wet market is a haggling place for most everyone.  Renting a house/condo, getting repairs done etc, the Kano price most often comes into play.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »
It's the Philippines mentality.  Now now now. Screw tomorrow.

There is rarely, and I mean VERY rarely a resto here ran with a manager that plans ahead, or an owner that builds the location so they can plan ahead.  Had a brother work his way up into McDonald's management and a career USAF guy who lives just the next city over that got into management at a Micky D's and through them got to know a lot on how things work in the US fastfood restos.  You plan to never come close to running out, let along run out.

But, they also have large walk in freezers and coolers in their buildings.  They order large quantities and rotate them.  The USAF friend I have here told me in his 5 years of managing they never got as low as  boxes for fries or burger patties. 

This is all very foreign concept to resto managers here.  And even if they did have some concept of that here, I seriously doubt the freezer/cooler items would be rotated and I would be scared to eat stuff that went into the freezer over a year prior.

So I've learned to just make do by avoiding the fast food and sticking to the local ma and pa shops that usually make better food and usually have it in stock.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 09:17:13 PM »
Almost every retail transaction, even at giant retailers like Metro at Ayala, seem to be the first sales transaction in history of the country - Hand them credit card, clerk disappears to go borrow portable card scanner from some other register - clerk returns and scans card, but the credit card you just used at this store 5 minutes ago will now not process - you hand them cash, they have no change - the clerk disappears to get change, returns 10 min later with supervisor, without any change - super asks if have different card, you do, but ""sorry, not accept that card" - ask for your money back so you can leave, super sends clerk to get change - etc, etc. --- during the course of this 20 minute fire drill 5 different clerks are talking back and forth attempting to resolve the problem of how to get payment for a simple retail purchase.

Negotiating world peace seems easier than buying a toaster in the Philippines.
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog