Author Topic: Things that upset us related to living in the Philippines  (Read 5568 times)

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Things that upset us related to living in the Philippines
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
Almost everything in the Philippines I have been able to make myself accustomed to.  Am no longer going to let get under my nerved. 
That said, what you two are talking about has to be the absolute most mind scratching, anger causing thing and I have not found a way to overcome it.  I literally just say in a very strong voice, "MOVE!!!" when they pull that junk.  Tina was upset at first, but now she laughs and does it herself sometimes.  Going down the isle at the supermarket.  Driving down the street behind a car.  In line at the resto.  No matter where, I have seen whatever is in front of me stop, and do nothing but start a talk with someone and have absolutely no concept that we are in a "confined area" that means I cannot get around them, and that they are blocking us....just to talk. 
I use to say move please...but it just happens to much.  So now all they get is a "MOVE!!!!".
What's crazier?  Most don't care.  They'll look around like "oh well, who cares" as they move just barely enough or an anorexic baby to squeeze through.  Which doesn't help any at all.

JoelLP... it's not that they aren't aware your trying to get by it's that you don't mean duty squat to them that's the actual truth.  I waited for a long time for this family to make room for me so I could get by in the an isle and they wouldn't they couldn't care less who was there and nobody elsed mattered so... I normally don't do this but it got me so angry that I finally got by this family and did the same thing to them and they got angry right away they couldnt' wait there was zero patience and I just kept them waiting and blocked them with my cart.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 05:54:02 PM »
Let's face it, there are things you can away from when you move here and there are things that you can't and that is one of them.  When I retired, prior to moving here, I decided I wasn't going to let so much crap get under my skin.  And I sure am not letting little crap get under my skin.  As they say, life is too short and what is left, just kick back and enjoy it.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 01:32:24 AM »
I hate doing business with the banks there. They have 10 banks on the same street but everyone of them is crowded, it takes over an hour to open an account and too much requirements to open an account, you need 2 pictures, 2 ID's and 10 pages of paperwork to fill out.

When you need to withdraw money any over 20k peso they ask lots of questions, sir why do you withdraw so much money and what ru going to do with it.....lol.....   

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 03:58:21 AM »
I hate doing business with the banks there. They have 10 banks on the same street but everyone of them is crowded, it takes over an hour to open an account and too much requirements to open an account, you need 2 pictures, 2 ID's and 10 pages of paperwork to fill out.

When you need to withdraw money any over 20k peso they ask lots of questions, sir why do you withdraw so much money and what ru going to do with it.....lol.....
Just as a reminder to you and everyone who has bank accounts in the Philippines, make sure to have some activity in your accounts, some require within one year, I think checking accounts, other require every 2 years, we move money around online between accounts once in a while to try to keep activity going in the accounts that we may not use for more than a year. Of course this will not be a problem for those of you who live full time in the Philippines..

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »

Guess I'm lucky with my bank as Ive never faced any of those issues.  I withdrew P330k yesterday without any problems or questions asked.
Londoner at heart

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »

The paperwork at banks in the Philippines to open accounts is a bit excessive especially for Americans since the US makes it harder on them so one extra form is needed.

As for how much we can take out, at BPI I have never had an issue taking out any amount I wanted to but nowadays I rarely withdraw money when in the bank, instead I go to the ATM machine to withdraw which has a p20,000 a day limit on blue cards and p50,000 a day limit on gold cards, since we have a gold card on our dollar account and a gold card on our main peso account a gold card on our checking account and a blue card on two of our other pesos accounts, I can get p190,000 a day that way, then plus the p52,000 I can get using my Fidelity card at HSBC, p40,000 and p12,000, that should cover all we ever should need but then we also have a peso account in another bank so we can get another p20,000 from it if needed.

Usually when I do withdraw money from the bank it is in dollars, up to a few thousand at a time, once that money becomes available and then exchange for pesos and then deposit the pesos into our peso account and use the ATM for withdrawals as needed, makes life easier for us to not carry much cash that way and we rarely need more than p20,000 on any given day anyway.

As for purchases or restaurant bills I use either our Fidelity or our Cap One credit cards and that cost us nothing, in fact we make money by using them. Life in the Philippines sometimes takes a bit of changing for us tourists from life in our home countries.

https://www.bpiexpressonline.com/p/1/96/debit-card-limits
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »
Our banking needs are simple, once every 2 months I go into our bank over the counter teller senior citizen line and withdraw enough cash to last us 2 months. Seldom ever use our ATM and or U.S. credit cards except paying for our medications at our nearby Mercury drug store, since we need double receipts for our medication reimbursement claims through TRICARE.
BTW, I had to close out our China Bank account, because we seldom used it and went dormant. It took me 2 hrs to close the account. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 12:28:38 AM »
Our banking needs are simple, once every 2 months I go into our bank over the counter teller senior citizen line and withdraw enough cash to last us 2 months. Seldom ever use our ATM and or U.S. credit cards except paying for our medications at our nearby Mercury drug store, since we need double receipts for our medication reimbursement claims through TRICARE.
BTW, I had to close out our China Bank account, because we seldom used it and went dormant. It took me 2 hrs to close the account. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

China Bank in my opinion is worthless.  At least the one I was dealing with.  I have all my accounts at BDO but I was usng a China Bank to pay the household benefits as I could not do that at BDO.  I only did it quarterly but I finally got tired of going over there, taking a seat at their side counter, waiting a half hour or more for someone to decide to come over and process the stuff for me, and then go up and wait to pay the cashier.  It was no problem the first few times.
 They were all jumping all over one another to help me.  That was until they started trying to talk me in to opening an account and get credit cards and all that crap.  I kept passing on it and then the lousy service started.  Yeah, I got tired of it.  Now, I give my wife the money and let her take it to the UnionBank where she pays her office benefits at.  I keep telling her to open an account at one of the banks that will work with eGov but she keeps piddling around not getting it done.  If she would do it, I could pay all of it (hers and mine) online including her BIR stuff.  That is alright though.  She wants to spend time waiting with hers, she can do it with mine too.

I sure am glad that this instance is the only banking problems I have had.  Quite a few others seem to have ongoing and endless problems with banking.  I guess you just have to pick the right one when you select a bank.  I hit it the first time apparently.
Whatever floats your boat.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog