Author Topic: MONEY: is $2000 enough to live in Metro Manila  (Read 5195 times)

Offline dav662

MONEY: is $2000 enough to live in Metro Manila
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:06 AM »
Is $2000 enough to live in Metro Manila? My GF says it is too much and we do not need that amount. But I like to ask the members view on that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:35:08 AM by Mr. Lee »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »
Is $2000 enough to live in Metro Manila? My GF says it is too much and we do not need that amount. But I like to ask the members view on that.
That is way too broad a question.  For one, Metro Manila is a big big place and the cost of living is all about location.  Secondly, what is the lifestyle you desire?  How big a place do you want and in what class neighborhood, subdivision or slum? My sister in law lives in "Metro Manila" and her rent is about 3000 pesos a month, so the short answer is yes, but I do not believe you are looking for the short answer.   Do you want to live at the Fort or Rockwell or Tonda :)  (kidding about tonda).  Need to provide more info.  Also there are many discussions already on this topic.  You might want to do a little searching.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:45:57 AM by Mr. Lee »

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:50:57 AM »
It doesn't matter how much money you have, you can live on it. It is just the level of comfort that will vary.

The more money you have, the more comfortable you will be.

Also, if you are not happy with your lifestyle in Manila, move out into the province.

I used to rent with my girlfriend/fiance on Leyte. Our base monthly expenses for a 2 bedroom apartment, walking distance to the beach and the cafes by the sea was P25,000. (about usd$550 per month) That was all groceries, food, water, electric, phone, gas for cooking, cable TV, internet, rent etc for 5 people.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:46:29 AM by Mr. Lee »
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »
It's a "yes" and or "no" answer depending where one lives! Read some of the post here below to get an idea what the cost of living are in some regions of the Philippines: http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=9.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:46:42 AM by Mr. Lee »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: MONEY: is $2000 enough to live in Metro Manila
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »
Topic split off other topic to make a new topic since the other topic was about Cebu. Existing posts also edited to change them to the new topic title.

As others have already posted, it depends, it is all about wants and needs, many Filipinos live on such a small amount that many of us would be, or are, amazed they can manage, most westerners live on much more because of comfort and food items as well as drinking water, and it should also be mentioned that visas to stay in country legally cost money that locals do not have to pay.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
Hi dav662,
Is that per week,month or yearly? US, AU or another currency? My partner was living and working in Tondo, I see an earlier mention of Tonda but assume Tondo, pretty rough neck of the woods, if you need fixers or want to be harassed or murdered that's the place to go. Back on track, we lived in San Lazero St Cruz, 3 bed 2 bath condo with small balcony and views to Manila bay, php 25K per month. Food and drink (JD, beer etc) app 30K per month, cinema, transport, dining out about 10K per month, flights/travel/tourism up to the individual. So 65K, back then about $1,625 Aussie dollars,
now a little over 2,000. Exchange rates etc. I must say we lived well though.
I personally would not live in Manila again as the pollution and traffic congestion is horrible but each to their own.
Good luck with your investigations, you will find plenty of answers to your questions in this site.
Cheers, Steve

Offline dav662

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 12:04:50 AM »
Thank you everyone. Yes it is 2000 US dollars per month. If course I can raise more if needed but I am just trying to see what kind of budget I would need for a month. I am not a huge drinker so do not think the beer cost is going to be high.
Two bedroom condo initially in a decent area in either Manila or QC. She does not want to eat out she says and wants to stay at home and cook. But I guess that is for now only. LOL. As a filipina she survives on a lot less than that and was shocked when I mentioned the amount and said no need for that as can live much less but I just wanted to know the view and opinions of others too.

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »
When I retired back in 1997 at age 49, we took a "Leap of Fath" and moved to the Philippines the following year only on less than $1,700 a month from my initial Civil Service Pension and 20% VA Disability Compensation without any savings and or backup money, but fortunately at that time the cost of living was pretty low here in the Philippines and I was still due a few other pensions when I turned the age of 60, my USAFR Military Pay and meager Social Security Pension at 62, which was affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP).
18 yrs later we're still here enjoying our retirement lifestyle and I have started receiving my Military Pay and Social Security, also all the COLAs for the past 18 yrs helped out a great deal increasing my annual net worth and we are now reaping the benefits from my 30 yrs of service with the U.S. government. Thanks Uncle Sam! 
At this present day and age $2,000 a month may still be doable depending where one lives and what their lifestyle may be. All I can say to that is "Good Luck"! 
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 06:34:07 PM »

Youíve already gotten many good answers but Iíll give you a different perspective.

Metro Manila provides a broad spectrum of standards of living. At the high end there are Areas such as Makati and the Bonifacio Global City area where you will find luxury living that is world class.

A couple pictures of Makati and one from Global City.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
At the other extreme you can find areas such as Tondo that has already been mentioned, which is an area where you will find the poorest of the poor.

A couple pictures of the Tondo area

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »
And then of course there is everything in-between.

I donít think $2000 a month will get you very far at the Luxury end.  But In the Tondo area $2000 a month would probably be enough to support at least a dozen families.

So sure you can live on $2000 a month in Metro Manila but what standard of living that buys you and if it meets your needs is something you will need to go to Manila to see  for yourself.

Offline dav662

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
I have seen online that what looks like nice condos in Quezon City for about 15,000 to 20,000 pesos. OK, these are one bedroom condos but I would rather have a large one bedroom condo to a smaller 2 bedroom one.

Interesting costs. So something like 70,000 pesos a month is not enough to live in most places in Metro Manila?

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 02:32:41 AM »
As others here have suggested, there is a very broad range.  Some folks are content to live very modestly indeed.  What is quite adequate for some is purgatory for others. 

Right now, someone I know from where I am in Canada, is in north Palawan.  He tells me that he, his gf, and another couple are renting a house for P1,500/mo.  Not a typo - P1,500!  His total income is about $600 U.S. per month. When here, he lives a kind of "couch surf" lifestyle, camps out in warm weather, etc.  He is in his 50s and has lived thus for years.  He is happy.  He cannot understand anyone, like me, who chooses to work to have any more.  He has a net worth of zero, a miniscule income and could care less.

I expect to visit him in Palawan next month, but I also expect his living circumstances will creep me out.  He won't be reading this because money for internet is not in his budget.  Living without running water, plumbing or electricity is hardly worthy of notice.  So he would probably tell you that if you have a budget of $2,000/mo., you can live the high life, even in Manila.  He spent time there too.  He found hostels for amounts like $7 per night.  I shudder to contemplate such, but it suits him.

I lived in Quezon City from about 1998-2002.  I bought a house in a gated village, so rent was not an issue.  But our burn rate nevertheless was probably in the order of $5,000 U.S. per month.  It was comfortable but not luxurious.  Our house did not look like that depicted in the photos posted by hitekcountry.

Dave662, you mention places for rent in QC for P15,000-20,000.  I would be interested to see those in person.  When I was in the PI last year, I was not in QC, but, because my wife was considering an extended stay, we looked at rental condos in Makati, Malate and thereabouts.  What we looked at was mostly in the P25,000 to P40,000 range.  At the 40k end, the places were not bad, but a tad small.  At the lower end, not a place I would want to stay for long.  But that's me.  My Palawan friend I just mentioned would probably see the same places as offering luxury beyond imagination.  My wife did extend her stay beyond mine, but ended up staying with family most of the time because she did not feel she would be getting enough value in the rental condos.  A further consideration was that some were available only for longer term rentals.

Before buying in QC back in the 90s, we rented a condo on Roxas Blvd., close to the Grand Boulevard Hotel.  I not not recall exactly, but I think the rent was about P35,000/mo. at the time.  It was a large one BR.  We rented from a Japanese woman who owned 5 or 6 units in the same building.  Common then, at least in that area, was having to pay "6 months deposit, 6 months advance"  Kinda' steep, but no choice.  Of course, getting the deposit back is not easily accomplished.  There is no residential tenancy board to help.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 03:30:49 AM »
I have seen online that what looks like nice condos in Quezon City for about 15,000 to 20,000 pesos. OK, these are one bedroom condos but I would rather have a large one bedroom condo to a smaller 2 bedroom one.

Just a general comment about size, square footage of housing;

The United States is unusual in that housing sizes are large relative to the majority of the rest of the world. We are somewhat spoiled in that area. The average 3 bedroom house in the US is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 to 1700 sq. ft. and in many of the newer homes you find large sq. ft. 3 bd. of 2000 and above.

What is very noticeable in the Philippine as well as Europe is that houses are substantially smaller. In very rough numbers housing will be about half the size. A 3 bedroom might be in the 700 to 900 sq. ft. range. You can find housing designed to attract Americans (larger) but then of course the price will reflect that.

Another way to put it is that houses built in the US back in the 1950s and earlier are much closer (size) to what you find in the rest of the world.

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
Just a general comment about size, square footage of housing;
The United States is unusual in that housing sizes are large relative to the majority of the rest of the world. We are somewhat spoiled in that area. The average 3 bedroom house in the US is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 to 1700 sq. ft. and in many of the newer homes you find large sq. ft. 3 bd. of 2000 and above.
What is very noticeable in the Philippine as well as Europe is that houses are substantially smaller. In very rough numbers housing will be about half the size. A 3 bedroom might be in the 700 to 900 sq. ft. range. You can find housing designed to attract Americans (larger) but then of course the price will reflect that.
Another way to put it is that houses built in the US back in the 1950s and earlier are much closer (size) to what you find in the rest of the world.
In general, the size of one's home here in the Philippines and where it's located really depends on the amount of one's disposable income and whether or not one's lifestyle preference can fit into it.  ::) :o 
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog