Author Topic: Building a house  (Read 6383 times)

Offline dav662

Building a house
« on: March 12, 2016, 02:16:30 AM »
Is it better and cheaper to build a house lets say a 3 bedroom house or get a pre fab one from China? The Chinese one comes about 30,to 40,000 dollars.
Then of course there is the cost of the assembly to this but I see can finish around 50,000 for sure.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
Re: Building a house
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:48:27 AM »
Is it better and cheaper to build a house lets say a 3 bedroom house or get a pre fab one from China? The Chinese one comes about 30,to 40,000 dollars.
Then of course there is the cost of the assembly to this but I see can finish around 50,000 for sure.

What are you trying to build? Check this house built in 2007 for P80,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-gkY-gByto
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »
dav662,
You have two posts "Where to rent"? and "Building a house"?
Best way to go about it is "Boots on the Ground" when ever you get here to the Philippines. 
I would suggest renting for a year or two before deciding where, how and when to build your home. Who will know, but you if the Philippines will be to your liking or not! 
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 08:57:39 AM »
I would agree with Art, do not rush into building or buying, and if I was to want a home, then I would look for one an expat who has to leave wants to sell, those are usually the best deals and you are doing them a favor and helping yourself by seeing what you are buying rather than building and never knowing what you will get once it is done....
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 10:22:17 AM »
What are you trying to build? Check this house built in 2007 for P80,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-gkY-gByto
wow, that is rural province living province living depicted perfectly.  No hot water, no flushing toilet, no AC, and very very small.  But, it does show you can live here for dirt cheap, which is one of the main attractions for moving to the Philippines. 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »
wow, that is rural province living province living depicted perfectly.  No hot water, no flushing toilet, no AC, and very very small.  But, it does show you can live here for dirt cheap, which is one of the main attractions for moving to the Philippines.
Yeah, the above post is not my kind of lifestyle! Been there and lived like that long ago in the Barrio of Baretto in Olongapo City my hometown (only had electric, a deep well and a dirt road), just across the road from Baloy Beach, which is now sort of a foreigner's new and improved retirement paradise to date if one would call it that, especially for former ex-Navy guys back in the day when Subic Naval Base was still up and running and after Mt. Pinatubo erupted. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAWeguCyNg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAWeguCyNg</a> 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:31:46 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »
Yeah, the above post is not my kind of lifestyle! Been there and lived like that long ago in the Barrio of Baretto in Olongapo City my hometown (only had electric, a deep well and a dirt road), just across the road from Baloy Beach, which is now sort of a foreigner's new and improved retirement paradise to date if one would call it that, especially for former ex-Navy guys back in the day when Subic Naval Base was still up and running and after Mt. Pinatubo erupted. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAWeguCyNg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAWeguCyNg</a>
I am with you Art, I came here cause I could live better on my measly retirement pay.  I would have a hard time giving up luxury items such as hot water, a shower, a working toilet, and AC.   Happiness is state of mind though, so whatever gets you thru the night with a smile on your face!!!  Thats the most important thing

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
As the others said, come stay get a feel first.  Rent, and see what's there.

There are so many things that come into play.  Tina started the building of our home BEFORE I got here.  Granted, I did send some money, but, I wanted her to wait.  Instead, she hired a cousin and we've been paying for it ever since.

Since I got here, I found a FAR superior builder who worked for less.  So we pissed away our money on a guy that build like crap.

Point is, get here, look at the cost of land, make sure it's in the right location, and then look around for a builder who'll do good work and not  build crap.  It's a lot, but in the end you'll be far happier.

There are things to look for when looking for a lot to build on.  Some will be in city, or close enough to a "city proper" to allow you to connect to some good net, others will have you using smart bro or some wireless setup.  Some will have you in an area where building codes are more enforced, others in areas where you can pretty much do what you want and when you want. 

Best of luck to you.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
I would recommend our contractor to anybody with confidence.  After reading all the horror stories about building a house I feel we really really really lucked out.
He was recommended by my sis in law's BF, word of mouth by somebody you trust is a good hard and fast rule to follow here (if possible).
If anybody plans on building in the cavite, batangas, laguna area, and you want to talk to a contractor that will do good, honest and quality work, let me know and I will give you his contact info.

Offline dav662

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 11:24:40 PM »
dav662,
You have two posts "Where to rent"? and "Building a house"?
Best way to go about it is "Boots on the Ground" when ever you get here to the Philippines. 
I would suggest renting for a year or two before deciding where, how and when to build your home. Who will know, but you if the Philippines will be to your liking or not!

Thanks Art. I know that it has to be either Manila or Quezon City. So area wise I know where it has to be.  I studied in Manila for an year so know a little bit about the place. Of course have been there many times for shorter visits and was there 5 times last ear too. I am not looking for a retirement in Philippines. I am in active work and my own boss in a way and based in Asia so Philippines is not far away for me.
I would like to know the rough cost and that is why I mentioned the pre fab houses from China. I have seen them myself and depending on what you want it is very good with whatever interior finishing you want and unless it is more than 5 storey the foundation itself is just an ordinary one to anchor the steel posts.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 11:27:48 PM »
Renting here is nearly the cheapest in the world and excellent value. You can rent a solid house with more than adequate space for $150 a month. I know many derelict buildings started by foreigners who had not looked at the alternatives.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
The subject of whether to buy/build versus renting has a number of elements to consider as well as the financial.  Most (in UK anyway) wives would expect her husband to provide a family home, not a rental, that would provide security of tenure and a legacy for their children.  Why should it be any different for our Philippine spouses?  I am guessing that most of us on here have Philippine wives or girl friends, in many cases somewhat younger than ourselves.  That is true in my case and by the natural way of things my wife will outlive me by quite a bit.  I feel it is my duty to secure her future after I am gone and one way of doing that is is to build a decent good quality home in a nice area.  Plus I get to live out our lives together in a home that I have designed and built to my own specifications.  Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Londoner at heart

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »
The subject of whether to buy/build versus renting has a number of elements to consider as well as the financial.  Most (in UK anyway) wives would expect her husband to provide a family home, not a rental, that would provide security of tenure and a legacy for their children.  Why should it be any different for our Philippine spouses?  I am guessing that most of us on here have Philippine wives or girl friends, in many cases somewhat younger than ourselves.  That is true in my case and by the natural way of things my wife will outlive me by quite a bit.  I feel it is my duty to secure her future after I am gone and one way of doing that is is to build a decent good quality home in a nice area.  Plus I get to live out our lives together in a home that I have designed and built to my own specifications.  Just my 2 cents.
Cheers

London and Dubai,  never been to either place.  Sounds interesting.

Some ideas to think about in no special order or reason,  its just stuff to know in case any of its unfamiliar.  And this is jaded by my own experiences.

-Does wife want to live in Philippines.
-Children (and what is best for them).
-Usually only wife(Philippine citizen) can own land/house in Philippines.
-When buying land really investigate on the title and transaction. (Wife will be the one that owns it, but you are paying).
-Make sure there is access and not land locked.  After you build a nice house and if you have a conflict with a neighbor can they build a fence blocking the path from the street to your house.
-Look at foreclosures that your bank in the Philippines could offer.  Just like other places in world can find great deals.  Less expensive than building.
-Do you want to live close to her family or some distance away.  (read over this forum topics to give some perspectives on that) there are big advantages from either choice.
-What do you like doing yourself(farming..  fishing...  nightlife... University   etc...)  pick a place that has it.
-Parking for car(s)
-Maid/Driver/guest quarters
-Leaving a place to live for our loved ones is helpful/leaving financial resources is more important.  There are plenty of old ladies around with an ok house and not enough money to live on.
-Get lots of advice from wife,  especially if it is for her.
-Hold on to your money until your sure.  The questions if any you have about any deal can be answered.  Never accept ďits really like thatĒ.
-Closest hospital and how can you get there.
-Renting is temporary in case plans change.

Good luck,  it will can be an adventure.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 11:11:23 PM »
Appreciate your comments, all valid points.  Totally agree, it is/will be an adventure, one that I am embracing arms wide open.
Our house should be complete by the end of this year and we plan to move in full time early next year.  It is located on a Golf Course, so I guess I will have to learn to play.  As long as I am relatively close to a marina for my sailboat, I am happy.
Londoner at heart

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 01:03:26 AM »
-Leaving a place to live for our loved ones is helpful/leaving financial resources is more important.  There are plenty of old ladies around with an ok house and not enough money to live on.

Good point, Fastwalk.  Some guys just don't (or won't) think about that.

Right now, I know a guy here in Canada who just came back from the Phils.  He is 52 years old and madly in love with a 23-y.o. Filipina.  He wants to go back there, marry her and live there.  He was thrilled because, while there, he rented a house for P1,500/mo.  He said the electricity bill was P50/mo.  Those numbers seem to me a bit surprising, but I suppose it can be done.  I have heard of "going native", but his numbers sound sub-native.

The girl has apparently been to college, but is not now working apart from selling halo-halo.  I don't imagine that brings in megabucks (or pesos).  He is sending her about USD80/mo.  He has a disability income of about USD700/mo. and it will die with him.

What I see, is that he might die happy, but it's a disaster for the girl.  Btw, he has been fixed, so there can be no kids.  He says she's totally on board with that, which may be a bit delusional on his part.  He'll probably live into his 80s and die when she is early 50s.  It's doubtful he'll ever buy her a house, but even if he managed, what then?  She'll be left with a modest (at best) house and zero income.  Too old to seek employment (certainly in the RP, where old age kicks in at 30).  It makes me squirm to think of what might lie ahead for her.

I have already promised my wife that, when I am gone, I'll leave her sufficiently fixed that she'll be able to keep the house in which we now live (or any replacement) and have sufficient income to maintain it, and herself, for the rest of her days.  I also want her to have options.  Right now, she has little interest in returning to the PI to live.  We were there last year and it seemed to galvanize her resolve to stay here.  That might change when I have checked out.  Point is, I want her to be able to afford to stay here, should she care to, or go back to the PI and live well, should that be her choice.  That is my duty to her as a husband.  If I were on my own right now, I'd sell off my investments and go party, buy a bunch of expensive toys and live it up.  But I prefer not to be selfish and to piss away her future.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog