Author Topic: Building a house  (Read 3499 times)

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Re: Building a house
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
London and Dubai,  never been to either place.  Sounds interesting.

-Leaving a place to live for our loved ones is helpful/leaving financial resources is more important.  There are plenty of old ladies around with an ok house and not enough money to live on.

Of course the wife needs to be left with sufficient financial means to live comfortably after we have gone.  The advantage of the lot & house is that it cannot easily be taken away from her. Money tied up in stocks, shares, bonds, overseas bank accounts, can be locked up for ages in probate and contested by any remaining relatives that you leave behind.  Additionally, large sums of easily liquidable financial assets within Philippines can be spent or shared too easily with her family members who will surely come after it, to share her "blessings".
Londoner at heart

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 06:43:06 PM »
We opted for a house in  gated subdivision only 70 sqm, but will be enlarged later to about 135 sqm with carport/balcony, 3rd CR(western style), walk in closet and enlarged kitchen/dining area.  As far as finances the asawa will have 55K php per month at the current rate, which goes up annually with the military retired COLA rate.  She will get 55% of my military retired pay for the rest of her life.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
We built our home 16 yrs ago in a nice clean, safe and quiet gated subdivision in Sta Rosa, Laguna on a 187 square meter lot with HOA dues at P87 per sq. mtrs, which is P14,586 annually and property tax of P10,000 a year. Anything larger than what have my wife wouldnít be able to maintain on a annual basis if and when Iím no longer around. No need for a solar energy system since it wonít be cost effective and she alone would be unable to maintain it.
Letís be practical guys, our surviving spouses can not live beyond their means when we are no longer around unless we are rich and well to do, which I doubt most retirees in the Philippines are, when some have been divorced numerous times leaving children behind in their home country and on the rebound.
My wife is happy and content living here. Luckily I can leave her in good shape when I kick the bucket since she has a ďSurvivorís Benefit PlanĒ (SBP) from all of my U.S. Government pensions and our home is paid for and no bills to contend with, except for just your average utility bills. 
So, she will be well provided for.
And I will also leave behind my beloved "Little Red", a 1979 Toyota Corolla. ???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:53:15 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Bill 123

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
My g/f and I just are now getting a house built in QP. I have allocated 2,000,000 peso to get it done and that includes land also. I have seen the house and it is two bedroom 50 metre square along with having kitchen dining combined (also comes with a cobra snake lol) the house is less than 1,000,000 and land is reasonable, we get more later.
In the 2,000,000 is a furniture budget along with finding a new rental property (we already have 2) one in QC in squatters area along with another in Angeles.
I find that also if in Province you can get a few things a lot cheaper than in cities and so we have a budget of about 16,000p a month to sustain us, I do not need to go out much and my g/f is pretty adapt at saving, I did research on a few sites at costs of living there and all up it will cost us about 10,000 p a month and that is including cable, electricity and the like.
I am still coming to terms with the cobra as it is not house trained. I was a previous member here under bozzo_123.

Bill

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
I find that also if in Province you can get a few things a lot cheaper than in cities and so we have a budget of about 16,000p a month to sustain us, I do not need to go out much and my g/f is pretty adapt at saving, I did research on a few sites at costs of living there and all up it will cost us about 10,000 p a month and that is including cable, electricity and the like.
I am still coming to terms with the cobra as it is not house trained. I was a previous member here under bozzo_123.

Bill
Welcome back Bill. Good luck on your building projects. Make sure to include immigration fees and healthcare in your budget. Your figures sound low to me but otherwise if you will be living like a local, then I guess it might be able to be done.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 07:59:20 PM »
Welcome back ex-bozzo_123, now Bill 123,
Yep! That's cheap living alright. Tell us more about yourself Bill.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 10:09:56 PM »
Problem I have with these Contractors is that I have seen the cars they drive and the properties they live in...
We build our own stuff to permitted plans and our workers take a habol habol...(or stay in the building barracks)

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »
Yeah, the above post is not my kind of lifestyle! Been there and lived like that long ago in the Barrio of Baretto in Olongapo City my hometown (only had electric, a deep well and a dirt road), just across the road from Baloy Beach, which is now sort of a foreigner's new and improved retirement paradise to date if one would call it that, especially for former ex-Navy guys back in the day when Subic Naval Base was still up and running and after Mt. Pinatubo erupted. 

OMG stop it Art, you are killing me. I have been living close to here for nearly four years & not much in Baretto looks like that anymore. I know you did not film this video, but I notice there is a distinct lack of traffic, the buildings are clean and the beaches appear clean & clear. Not anymore LOL. Of course some of the establishments have changed names or are no longer in existence and a few newer places have come & gone since that video. Can still be a fun place, but it all depends on what someone is looking for, if they wanted to live near here. As for ME, I have many friends living here, but my asawa & I use this as our home base and travel around the country, exploring new and wonderful places everywhere. Thanks for the blast from the past video anyway I appreciated it & so did a lot of my friends who have been living here for a very long time.

ABC

Offline UNGGOY

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »
wow, that is rural province living province living depicted perfectly.  No hot water, no flushing toilet, no AC, and very very small.  But, it does show you can live here for dirt cheap, which is one of the main attractions for moving to the Philippines.
lol This is nicer than our condo in MANILA! And WAY cheaper!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog