Author Topic: florescent light flickers when off  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
florescent light flickers when off
« on: March 17, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
Wonder if anyone would know how to stop the ceiling light from flickering? I have found that at night sometimes the light flickers when off. We only have two wires system in our condo, I have tried reversing the wires but that did not help, Suggestions, I sure wish there was a ground wire.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: florescent light flickers when off
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »
What I suspect is that you're getting voltage spikes on the un-switched leg.

the only thing I can think of would be to use a double pole switch and switch both legs.

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
Just try reversing the wires on that circuit in your switch box may solve the problem

Offline bundyrummm

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
Wonder if anyone would know how to stop the ceiling light from flickering? I have found that at night sometimes the light flickers when off. We only have two wires system in our condo, I have tried reversing the wires but that did not help, Suggestions, I sure wish there was a ground wire.
maybe some power gettn through..but might be your Starter..they fliker when on the way out..the small cylinder in your floro holder.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 07:17:18 PM »
I have this same issue with 3 other spots in the lower part of the house but it's just with the fluorescent bulbs, all the other bulbs have been changed out with LED.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 11:45:36 PM »

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »
Some of our outlets had to be changed due to this, the wires would run to the ceiling but this was due to flooding it damaged all of our lower outlets but if noting else is determined after inspection I'd switch the light to LED, those won't blink.

I need to have our wires looked at now because the in-laws at one time routed wires and were stealing our electricity, I'll bet some wires run under the ground, they are a clever bunch.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 08:25:38 AM »
In our condo we only have a two wire system, no ground :o I think that is most of the problem. For now I solve the problem by unplugging that light when not in use, why waste electricity, I have also replaced the kitchen ceiling fixture with a LED fixture because it too was doing the same thing. When the breakers are shut off, the light does not flicker and I already changed the switch so i guess it somehow relates to the wiring causing this issue. I was hoping there would be an easier way but no such luck, thank you all for your suggestions up to this point and for any that will be added, if anyone has any suggestions on a two wire system or any other suggestion then please feel free to add them,
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog