Author Topic: Returning to visit  (Read 2479 times)

Offline virgil4616

Returning to visit
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:11:33 AM »
I want to return to visit the beautiful island and people I fell in Love with many years back. I have a passport, money for my round trip ticket and money to spend. My question is where to spend it. The only place I remember any thing about was San Miguel on the island of Luzon. I don't want to go to a tourist trap. I want an off the beaten path sort of place. Any recommendations and what is the current peso to $ rate? Thanks

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Returning to visit
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:43:53 AM »
I want to return to visit the beautiful island and people I fell in Love with many years back. I have a passport, money for my round trip ticket and money to spend. My question is where to spend it. The only place I remember any thing about was San Miguel on the island of Luzon. I don't want to go to a tourist trap. I want an off the beaten path sort of place. Any recommendations and what is the current peso to $ rate? Thanks
Welcome virgil4616,
Well, just go back to San Miguel since you've been there before and start your vacation from there. Seems to look like a nice place:  http://tinyurl.com/zor6d6f
Actually, my father was born there, but I've never been to his home town before he passed away long ago.
Tell us more about yourself!

The Peso rate isn't an issue until you get here, because the rate fluctuates by the minute or just check on it weeks in advance to get the better rates before coming here.
http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=PHP
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:26:07 AM »
Off the beaten path islands that I would be happy to visit again are Dinagat, Siquijor, Biliran, Camiguin and Malapascua

However, you should not miss Bohol, including Panglao Island

Google them for more info.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline virgil4616

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
That was the San Miguel not too far from Olongapo? Does Olongapo even exist any more after the eruption years back which pretty much covered the area. It was Olongapo, San Marcelino (sp) and then San Miguel. That is the way we use to go. There was also Cubi point along the route. Would I fly in to Manila and then take a bus there? I know back in the day we would pitch in 3 or 4 of us and get a jeepey. I would assume there would be a bus route there or they drop you at some point and you take a taxi or jeepney. What time is it over there right now? It is 7:35 PM CST on the 17th of March here, St Patrick's Day. I really wish I had gone back to the PI earlier in time. Can't turn back the clock. What's past is past and just have to live for what little future I have left. Thanks again! Where do I go to say more about myself?

Rick

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:24:36 AM »
That was the San Miguel not too far from Olongapo? Does Olongapo even exist any more after the eruption years back which pretty much covered the area. It was Olongapo, San Marcelino (sp) and then San Miguel. That is the way we use to go. There was also Cubi point along the route. Would I fly in to Manila and then take a bus there? I know back in the day we would pitch in 3 or 4 of us and get a jeepey. I would assume there would be a bus route there or they drop you at some point and you take a taxi or jeepney. What time is it over there right now? It is 7:35 PM CST on the 17th of March here, St Patrick's Day. I really wish I had gone back to the PI earlier in time. Can't turn back the clock. What's past is past and just have to live for what little future I have left. Thanks again! Where do I go to say more about myself?

Rick
My bad, I thought you meant San Miguel, Bulacan, but there is a San Miguel, Zambales North of Olongapo City. http://tinyurl.com/z67fnhn
Subic aka a SBMA today which is now a Free Port Trade Zone.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7bP-f2kLR4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7bP-f2kLR4</a>
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline virgil4616

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:53 AM »
That's the one, Zambales. So you can fly straight in to Subic Bay, PI ? When was it the volcano erupted? We use to pass by that thing probably 2-3 times per week and not so much as a whistle from it. In fact I'm not 100% sure I know where it was at. There is a US base in Guam, right? I could fly there for free. I understand you have to have round trip tickets. I could fly free to Guam then fly to Subic from Agana. Then from there  back to Guam. You think Guam would have flights flying in to there or would I need to fly to Manila then Subic. Or do I maybe want to visit Cebu City. I need to be close to a financial center and also ready medical help. I have heart issues. I have had a stroke and a heart attack. I only have one steent. I have a friend that has 8 and I asked him why they don't just go ahead and do bypass surgery. He said they told him his arteries were too small for a bypass. So there are people in worse shape out there. I have about 15 different medications I have to take. Will it be a problem taking them with me?
 I could ask a dozen more questions but probably boring you by now.

Rick

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
That's the one, Zambales. So you can fly straight in to Subic Bay, PI ? When was it the volcano erupted? We use to pass by that thing probably 2-3 times per week and not so much as a whistle from it. In fact I'm not 100% sure I know where it was at. There is a US base in Guam, right? I could fly there for free. I understand you have to have round trip tickets. I could fly free to Guam then fly to Subic from Agana. Then from there  back to Guam. You think Guam would have flights flying in to there or would I need to fly to Manila then Subic. Or do I maybe want to visit Cebu City. I need to be close to a financial center and also ready medical help. I have heart issues. I have had a stroke and a heart attack. I only have one steent. I have a friend that has 8 and I asked him why they don't just go ahead and do bypass surgery. He said they told him his arteries were too small for a bypass. So there are people in worse shape out there. I have about 15 different medications I have to take. Will it be a problem taking them with me?
 I could ask a dozen more questions but probably boring you by now.

Rick
Meds supposedly require you have a doctors letter or report as to what you are being treated for and what the meds are for, that they are in the original bottles and you only have a quantity necessary for your stay. In the 22 years I have only been checked once coming into the Philippines that I can remember and once when leaving the Philippines but I have also been checked when leaving the US and in S. Koreas, so having that doctors letter and the meds in original bottles made travel easier for me in the past.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Make sure you declare all drugs on arrival. Even if they don't need a prescription in your country.

Make sure you have a copy of your prescription for each medicine.

Cebu City has world class hospitals
http://pshcebu.ph/
http://cduh.com.ph/
http://www.chonghua.com.ph/
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline itsgalf

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
If you're just going to go to Zambales, you might as well check to see if there's a good flight for you that will fly into Clark International Airport instead of Manila. There's not a many option for it, but it will save you a lot of time and hassle compared to dealing with Manila.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog