Author Topic: Just another rags to riches story, Pinay with a sinsational voice  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Discovered singing at SM Mega Mall 2012
She's Zendee Rose Japitana Tenerefe and
now she and her family are well off.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBbErzAYQw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBbErzAYQw</a>
Her story here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsaydnSKFzI
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:13:42 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Just another rags to riches story, Pinay with a sinsationally voice
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:06:28 PM »
yeah saw this video few years ago she was in one of the ph got talents and finished 3rd i believe but after this video hit the YouTube she took off in fame . great voice . 

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Just another rags to riches story, Pinay with a sinsational voice
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:42:13 AM »
Discovered singing at SM Mega Mall 2012
She's Zendee Rose Japitana Tenerefe and
now she and her family are well off.

Art, do you know her or her family?  Was the family poor before and now well off due to her success?

I ask because I have some experience and familiarity with showbiz in the PI.  Getting a record contract there is not equivalent to getting signed in the U.S., even by some of the indie labels.  Not by a long shot.  Only about 3% of Filipinos buy music.  When they do, most of it is pirated.  Not many line up to shell out P375 for a CD, when the pirated version sells for a fraction of that and is sold openly everywhere.  So record sales won't pay the rent.  There is virtually no market for OPM outside the Phils.

What a record deal in the Phils WILL do is get your voice on radio and from there, one will get offers to make appearances if the public likes what they hear.  Some, but not much, money can be made there. 

I am a bit removed from it now, but some years back a respectable "talent fee" for doing a show was P100,000.  Sounds not bad, right?  Show up at a venue for a few hours, sing some songs, dance (necessary to be a good dancer and to look the part, as well as being able to interact with the crowd - true entertainer talent is required) and come away with 100k.  But what is not seen is all the rehearsal time with band and backup dancers.  They have to be paid.  And your driver has to go and pick them up and drive them around and you have to feed the whole lot and they get a good slice of that 100k, after your manager has taken 30k.  Just getting to the venue can involve 2 or 3 hours of driving. To move everyone requires one very large vehicle or 2 or 3 smaller ones, the cost of which all has to be borne and paid out of the talent fee.  Also one must get the fee up front, in cash, or not go on stage.  Sometimes the promised money is not there.

Part of the game in the Phils is to get good reviews from "reporters" who cover the entertainment scene.  Guess what?  Those "reporters" will only report and say nice things about you if you pay them and pay them well.  A retainer of P20,000/mo. is normal (probably more now) and you cannot just have one reporter on the payroll; you need at least 3 or 4.

The Filipina entertainer I was closest to (and I came to know many) was very popular for a number of years.  She had endless appearances on TV with Kuya Germs on Master Showman, StarTalk, S-Files and countless shows I have forgotten. In addition to her many, many guest TV appearances, she had a few regular roles in serial shows and leading roles in several well-known movies.  In fact, it was an exhausting schedule she kept.  But did the cash pile up?  Nope.  As I used to say to her, we could not afford her success. 

I googled Zendee, mentioned by Art.  The name did not ring a bell, although I seemed to recall seeing the "random girl" video a few years back.  She certainly appears to have received some instant recognition, but where is she now?  I found a website she has put up and it seems to be moribund.  It offers her self-description.  She said she is 21 years old.  That suggests she has not updated her site for a few years, because she is now 24.  Is she now regularly on radio and TV in the Phils?  Most of what I came across was dated in 2012 and 2013.  Even if she is still in the public eye, I'll wager she is not getting rich off it.  That is why many do not last.  For most, it does not pay, despite becoming a celebrity. 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Just another rags to riches story, Pinay with a sensational voice!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:32:18 AM »
I don't know her or her family personally, except for what I read using
Google search: http://tinyurl.com/jzuzvyo
With a voice like her's, I'm sure she's still doing well, wherever she's at today.
This You Tube link below was just active 2 days ago.
So, she's still around and apparently still doing well.
https://www.youtube.com/user/zendeerosetenerefe
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:04:37 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:34:33 AM »
It's always a win win when that happens...hopefully the chance of a lifetime will be lifetime... You know the story about those lottery winners, they become millionaires for a couple of years and lost everything just as fast. Wish her luck and prosperity.  :)

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 08:39:49 AM »
It's always a win win when that happens...hopefully the chance of a lifetime will be lifetime... You know the story about those lottery winners, they become millionaires for a couple of years and lost everything just as fast. Wish her luck and prosperity.  :)

I wish her luck and prosperity, but experience tells me that the "rags to riches" scenario is unlikely to play out in the Philippines, regardless of her prodigious talent.

The young Filipina artista to whom I referred performed frequently at venues in the U.S. and Canada.  As a small child in the Phils she performed and had a bookshelf full of awards by age 16. 

She was the kind of singer who, from the moment she stood up and opened her mouth, a hush would fall over the room and all would listen.  It occurred more times than I can remember when, after she sang, people would approach us and say words to the effect of: "Wow, you're amazing!  What are you doing here?  You should be in New York or LA, making records."  They would look at me and say: "Are you her manager?  What are you doing for her?  Do you know what you have there?"  I was not her manager, but did what I could to help out. 

She did make records in NY and LA.  Never got picked up by a label with any clout.  The best offers were for lounge singer types of jobs.  We were told that as an Asian girl, the prospects for hitting it big in the US, England or Europe were small.  To this day, I cannot think of many Asian artists (not any, actually, but by now perhaps there are some) who have made it big in those markets.  No A & R person wants to take the chance of signing them.

The closest she came to a big break in the U.S. was when she got to audition for the role of Selena, the movie about the Latina singer.  The producers paid her way to Chicago and Houston. The competition was stiff.  She outlasted a large number in the contest.  Not sure how many finalists there were, but, in the end, Jennifer Lopez got the role.  Not really surprising, but there were a few, who had some say in the matter, who were pulling for an unknown and a non-Latina.  For my part, I was surprised that a Filipina would make it past an initial screening.

So, on one of our many trips home to the PI, she was asked if she had thought about becoming an artist there.  We were told there was a resurgence of interest in OPM.  Long story short, a well-known producer paid to have her cut a CD, got her signed to a label and in no time we started hearing her on the car radio.  I can well recall her delight in hearing herself for the first time over the airwaves.  It was an exciting time.  She became very popular, very quickly. The air play launched her.  Again, my point is that she had no shortage of work, including gigs in Guam, Tokyo, Hong Kong etc. But the audience was mostly Filipino.  If anything, she had too much work.  Her gross income looked very good.  Her net, well, I would not call it "riches".  She eventually burned out without socking away sufficient funds to keep her in style through a long retirement.

There are some, like Sharon Cuneta, who have managed to parlay their singing talents into significant rewards, but that is very rare in the Phils.  Of course, she did not come from altogether humble roots.

With a voice like her's, I'm sure she's still doing well, wherever she's at today.

I hope you are right, about "a voice like hers", although if one spends much time in those places where people with voices like that congregate, one can be amazed at just how many really good voices are out there - including Filipinos.  I have attended more singing contests than I can count and there is always plenty of talent and always a few show stoppers.  I have seen four foot six 80 lb. Filipinas totally rock the joint (and the judges) at contests in NY, LA and Las Vegas, to name a few.  The reality is that they will not all make it.  Not for lack of talent.  And a wonderful voice will only take one so far, especially for the women. 

To hope to make a start, in addition to a stunning voice, they must be young, beautiful, sexy.  There are many out there with those attributes.  To help get a leg up, my artista took modelling and dance lessons in the U.S.  Her English was flawless.  She had a most engaging personality.  She could engage the crowd.  It won't do to simply stand in front of an audience and sound great, but look wooden.  Thousands can do that.  One must have the look, the moves, stage presence, the whole package.

It may be that this girl Zendee will manage to truly hit the big time, having made her way onto the Ellen DeGeneres Show.  Definitely an assist.  She'll earn a living in the PI, but I would say riches are not in the cards unless she can get into a position where her audience is far wider than just her mga kababayan.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog