Author Topic: The Journey is beginning to start....  (Read 1970 times)

Offline wil05

The Journey is beginning to start....
« on: May 17, 2016, 05:42:25 AM »
Hello all.

My name is William.  I am married to a beautiful lady from the Philippines and we have a desire to retire their so I can get fat on the beach - lol.  I will be able to put my boots up after 7 years and while this is a long time we do visit every year for 3-4 weeks spending time with her family.  I have been researching this topic extensively and have gained a lot of knowledge.  I am grateful my retirement situation will be good and I will still be fairly young when I get their, (About 52 years.) so money won't be a concern for us.

I do have a lot of questions which I'm sure are listed here somewhere in the forum but haven't found them yet.  My only real concern at this point is medical insurance.  Right now I am very healthy but I have experience dealing with my wife's family the horrors of province medical care.  With this said, we will most likely live is Cebu as her family is only a couple hours away and if something happens I won't die - lol.

I am really looking forward to this and enjoy the country and people.     

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: The Journey is beginning to start....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:38:34 AM »
Hello all.

My name is William.  I am married to a beautiful lady from the Philippines and we have a desire to retire their so I can get fat on the beach - lol.  I will be able to put my boots up after 7 years and while this is a long time we do visit every year for 3-4 weeks spending time with her family.  I have been researching this topic extensively and have gained a lot of knowledge.  I am grateful my retirement situation will be good and I will still be fairly young when I get their, (About 52 years.) so money won't be a concern for us.

I do have a lot of questions which I'm sure are listed here somewhere in the forum but haven't found them yet.  My only real concern at this point is medical insurance.  Right now I am very healthy but I have experience dealing with my wife's family the horrors of province medical care.  With this said, we will most likely live is Cebu as her family is only a couple hours away and if something happens I won't die - lol.

I am really looking forward to this and enjoy the country and people.   

Welcome to our friendly group. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need answers to, we will try to guide you to the answers or answer the questions ourselves if we can.
Health insurance answers and questions should be in the health insurance http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=116.0
but you may also find some answers in this section  http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=12.0

As for Cebu, that was also our choice, my wife and I live there 3 to 4 months a year.

Enjoy the forum, hope to see you posting more...
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:26:06 AM »
Welcome to the group, William! Cebu has decent, modern hospitals. Make sure you set aside a nice chunk of money to have available in case you must go to a hospital. Hospital bills must be paid in full in order to be released from care. Some hospitals won't even admit you unless you provide proof of your ability to pay, like a credit card. That being siad, our experience with hospitals and doctors in general have been very positive. My wife had to have her thyroid gland removed last year. Here in the US, even with good medical insurance, it was going to cost us between $5000-$8000 out of pocket. The doctor here told my wife he would choose to remove both glands "to be sure". That would have meant she would have to have hormone therapy for the rest of her life. Instead we chose to put her on a plane and go for a month long visit with her family. She went to a first class hospital in Manila, spent three days in a resort-like room with family members attending to her every whim, had only one thyroid gland removed (the doc said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the second gland) and she does not have to take hormones. Total cost for the hospital visit was roughly $3000. We saved thousands by having the procedure done there.

I've done the same with dental work. In 2006 I got an estimate from my dentist here in the US for some bridge work. I was quoted $4000 for the dental work. Instead, I went to the PH, visited one of the dentists in the local mall and got the work done for $450! The savings paid for our round trip plane tickets. We both got estimates recently for some additional missing and failing teeth and received an estimate of over $18,000. We plan to visit again sometime later this year so that we can get more dental work done and use the savings to pay for our trip.
Louisville, KY USA

Offline bcnorth

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:28:49 AM »
Gray Wolf, I certainly agree with you that medical coverage in the U.S. is astronomical, but there are health plans that do cover total costs. I am separated from my wife but she has been kind enough not to cut me, as a spouse, from her  Kaiser health plan. There is a $20 cost every time one sees a doctor and there is a $20 cost for a prescription, but that is the total cost one pays on her plan. My wife was in intensive care in a Kaiser hospital for six weeks with a private nurse the whole time. The total cost was $20. The plan also covers all costs for medical services for me in the Philippines. However, like most plans, one has to fill out innumerable papers and forms. Needless to say, nothing is free. I checked with Kaiser and explained that I would be divorced in the near future and asked what my costs would be to continue the plan I was on. Since I am one of those "old persons" I was told it would be $8,000 a year. 

Offline Danson L.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
Bless your heart. This will be an adventure coming here in the Philippines. If you DO NOT have PATIENCE, then be sure to buy a round trip ticket, because you will be awaiting the day to depart! hahahaha

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog