Author Topic: I've gone and done it now! Upgraded to Windows 10 that is.  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
We've had our 2 17 inch laptops with Windows 8.1 for about a year now and I just upgraded them early this morning to Windows 10. I hope we won't regret it, but so far so good!
I use the Slim Jet 32 bit Web Browser (Chrome based, fastest browser IMO) as my default browser with a free 2016 Avast Anti-virus, which works just fine.
Anyone on here have any issues with Windows 10? Anything I should know about?   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:19:22 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

• Sr Member
Re: I've gone and done it now! Upgraded to Windows 10 that is.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:41:48 PM »
Correction, it's a 64 bit Slim Jet Web browser, since our laptops are 64 bit systems. 
I also had the paid version of the Webroot Anti-virus that worked pretty good, but I decided not to continue paying for it after the year was up, so I just went with the free 2016 Avast Anti-virus. I previously had the Windows System Care, but it had too many other useless programs associated with it so I deleted it and went with the simple no nonsense 2016 Avast Anti-virus.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:51:01 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
Just 2 things I'll touch on.
1. Windows defender, which is free with windows 10, will defend that computer much better every day and 2 times on sunday than avast ever could.  Both in detecting viruses and maleware and other stuff while you're online, and when you are working offline.  I was loading a movie from my HD onto a cousin of Tina's USB memory stick.  He had some maleware and other junk on it and windows defender both kept that crap from getting on my laptop, while asking me if it wanted me to take care of it.  It wasn't my memory stick, so I just left it and told him he should get it taken care of.

2. There are security settings to windows 10.  They are no longer fresh in my mind, but there are youtube videos and sites that explain, in pretty clear and simple steps how to protect yourself and all your information on your laptop when using windows 10.  The big knock on windows 10 is it's attempts at invasion of privacy....if you will, into trying to get access into more than what most want it to get to on the laptop/pc/what have you. 

I love windows 10.  Probaby the fewest glitches since vista.  Have had it for a while now and no crashes, freezes, or any of that junk that happened more than I cared for on a lot of the older systems.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
Yeah, Window 10's Windows Defender is non-intrusive and does it's thing quietly in the background and seems to work pretty well. Also Windows 10's security settings are pretty simple to setup without too much confusion. As for the invasion of privacy part, I haven't noticed it yet, I think it's in the security setting to minimize it, but not certain since I'm just learning this OS.
One thing I like about this Windows 10 OS, is it's quick startup and shutdown time and easy to find menus, but is there a way to get rid of the sign-in username and password requirement? Ever since I set it up with the username and password, I can't seem to deactivate it.   
I think this Windows 10 on our two one yr old laptops will be just fine with our computing and internet needs for years to come. I still prefer though using my wireless mouse over the touch pad mouse, unless I'm out elsewhere with my laptop and a mouse wouldn't be practical to use.
My old HP desktop and 17" Compaq Presario Notebook still has the Windows Vista OS and is still working great.
Has anyone ever upgraded to Windows 10 from a Windows Vista OS? Is there a free version of Windows 10 to replace a Windows Vista OS or should I just leave it well enough alone since our Windows Vista is working just fine on our old PCs?     
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:27:52 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
Yeah, Window 10's Windows Defender is non-intrusive and does it's thing quietly in the background and seems to work pretty well. Also Windows 10's security settings are pretty simple to setup without too much confusion. As for the invasion of privacy part, I haven't noticed it yet, I think it's in the security setting to minimize it, but not certain since I'm just learning this OS.
One thing I like about this Windows 10 OS, is it's quick startup and shutdown time and easy to find menus, but is there a way to get rid of the sign-in username and password requirement? Ever since I set it up with the username and password, I can't seem to deactivate it.   
I think this Windows 10 on our two one yr old laptops will be just fine with our computing and internet needs for years to come. I still prefer though using my wireless mouse over the touch pad mouse, unless I'm out elsewhere with my laptop and a mouse wouldn't be practical to use.
My old HP desktop and 17" Compaq Presario Notebook still has the Windows Vista OS and is still working great.
Has anyone ever upgraded to Windows 10 from a Windows Vista OS? Is there a free version of Windows 10 to replace a Windows Vista OS or should I just leave it well enough alone since our Windows Vista is working just fine on our old PCs?   

I upgraded one computer from windows 8.  I have't been able to upgrade another from Windows 7.  The 7 works fine so I will just leave it alone.
Mike........

Offline virgil4616

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »
I have 2 lap tops one with Windows 10 and one with 8.1. I prefer using the one running 8.1, one because I am more familiar with it and 2 because I converted it to 10 one time and it just didn't seem to act the same, so I switched it back to 8,1 and use it it the most. I personally just prefer it.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »

There is a way to skip the sign in setup.  Google it or just go to youtube and either will show you a simple step by step process to do that.  Works great.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
There is a way to skip the sign in setup.  Google it or just go to youtube and either will show you a simple step by step process to do that.  Works great.
I tried both version following YouTube's tutorial every which way and it didn't work by unchecking the user block. After shut down and startup, the screen will display incorrect password entered, I would then have to enter my password still to sign in! I give up, not worth the hassle.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline itsgalf

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 08:37:22 PM »
I haven't yet updated to Windows 10, but I have this webpage bookmarked for the time when I do:

http://lifehacker.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-10-1642066771

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »
Not to sure how to help with the sign in process but I was able to get around that also, that was a pain at first because I forgot my outlook password.

I upgraded months ago and I really like it, I had some issues with older games but I was able to get those working with YouTube help.  I had to download my graphics sound card again but it works great, my windows 10 won't work with Avast anymore and the Windows Defender takes care of the virus but I did download malwarebytes and only use it if needed but so far I've been fine.

Now I'm debating on installing windows 10 to my new desk top, windows 7 ultimate takes much longer to shut down and start up as compared to the Windows 10.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
I tried both version following YouTube's tutorial every which way and it didn't work by unchecking the user block. After shut down and startup, the screen will display incorrect password entered, I would then have to enter my password still to sign in! I give up, not worth the hassle.
I went ahead and kept all the passwods in place on all of our PCs just for our peace of mind of having protection of all of our sensitive information. I also have a protection app lock only I have access to in my android cellphone. So, I won't again consder in deactivating any passwods where it's needed.
I know passwords can be hacked if our PCs and or cellphones were to be stolen. Heaven forbid that will ever happen in our lifetime. "KNOCK ON WOOD".
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Colin

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living in Puerto Princesa, Palawan
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
I built a computer that allows me to switch on different drives containing Win7, two versions of linux and have now added win10. I converted my little notebook to win10 a while ago to use during my visits to the UK, but have just not got into Win10 yet. Medical problems for both me and my wife have caused me to not be able to concentrate but if it is as good as people say then I guess I will have to make the effort. I tend to use Win7 mainly at the moment because I am familiar with it
Puerto Princesa, Pa;awan

Offline Danson L.

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 06:18:23 AM »
Windows 10 Professional Edition on a  New Install works great, but there is one MAJOR aggravating problem with it.  When the Desktop Icons are placed/arranged on the desktop, they WILL NOT STAY in the selected position. This is a serious problem, I have tried all the "Google" solutions to no avail, if anyone can come up with a solution, please let me know.
Thanks
Dan :'(

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog