Author Topic: New malware targets Facebook users  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
New malware targets Facebook users
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
Be careful all...
IT security company ESET warned Facebook users on Wednesday (April 27, 2016) of another malware-spreading scam.

ESET, a global pioneer of proactive cybersecurity solutions, warned of another scam campaign on Facebook that spreads a malicious browser plugin via social engineering techniques.

The attack starts by luring Facebook users into playing a video, often titled “My first video”, “My video”, or “Private video”.

After clicking on the video link, users will be directed to a fake YouTube website where they will be requested to install an additional extension before the video can be played.

The extension is a malicious version of the otherwise legitimate “Make a GIF” plug-in.

ESET detects the threat as JS/Kilim.SO and JS/Kilim.RG and users of ESET security products are protected from it.

If the user installs the malicious plug-in, his/her browser becomes infected and carries the infiltration further to his/her Facebook timeline, which becomes flooded with fake video posts tagging multiple friends from their friends list. Subsequently, all their online friends will receive an identical message via Messenger with the same harmful video link.

By the start of April 2016, ESET systems had detected this threat more than 10,000 times in dozens of countries around the world. Currently, more than 2,600 people within Asia Pacific have been affected. The highest incidence of this scam was found in the Philippines where 1,803 people have fallen victim to the scam.
http://www.mb.com.ph/new-malware-targets-facebook-users/
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: New malware targets Facebook users
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
Anyone who progresses beyond step two deserves to get an STD or some other infection.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:17 PM »
Anyone who progresses beyond step two deserves to get an STD or some other infection.

Anyone who has anything to do with Facebook deserves to get an STD or some other infection.

Offline Jimmy

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »
Hey I meet my wife in FB.... :P,,

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:02:51 AM »
Hey I meet my wife in FB.... :P,,