Author Topic: Small change, how do you all handle that?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Small change, how do you all handle that?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 07:45:05 AM »
I have not seen anyone else post that they have been charged a fee. You will still have to pay ATM fees charged by your bank.
You have just mentioned it though in your last sentence.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:09 AM »
You have just mentioned it though in your last sentence.

Art,

I have a Bank of America(BoA) card as I think you do also.  I am charged $5 by BoA every time I make withdrawal from a foreign ATM here in the Philippines, plus the foreign currency percentage charge, plus the local bank fee.  So being able to withdraw from HSBC in 20K or 40K increments would save local bank fees of 200 php each 10K php transaction.  Some people have cards that do not charge foreign bank ATM fee, refund the local bank fee, etc., BoA is not one of those.  I think Big Jim is talking about the local bank fee charge only.  Of course we have all got off the Topic which is "Small change, how do you all handle that". ;)

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »
Yes, just to make it clear.

I was saying that no one has reported having to pay a fee to HSBC for using their ATM machine.

Unlike seemingly every other bank in the Philippines who charge P200 per withdrawal on top of what your own bank charges.

No P200 fee at HSBC

And to relate it back to this topic, after withdrawing P40,000 in P1000 notes, you will be desperately in need of small change. Ayala Mall is across the road. Go into one of the supermarkets and buy something of very small value and hand them a P1000 note to pay for it. You will start making small change very quickly.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
...And to relate it back to this topic, after withdrawing P40,000 in P1000 notes, you will be desperately in need of small change. Ayala Mall is across the road. Go into one of the supermarkets and buy something of very small value and hand them a P1000 note to pay for it. You will start making small change very quickly.

You could try something like withdraw P9,900 instead of P10,000 to get the smaller bills.  (Some ATMs don't have P100 notes so obviously this would not work on those particular machines.)

I don't remember if I have actually tried the P9,900 withdrawal.  What I have done was in Hong Kong where I would withdraw 3,400 HKD instead of 3,500 HKD just to get the 100 HKD notes instead of all 500 HKD notes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 10:28:44 AM by suzukig1 »

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:12 AM »
Unlike seemingly every other bank in the Philippines who charge P200 per withdrawal on top of what your own bank charges.
No P200 fee at HSBC
Granted HSBC doesn't charge the foreign transaction P200 fee, but it's not totally free using HSBC, they impose other charges we don't know about not being a member.
Most RP ATMs on the display screen shows a P200 charge, but on my actual U.S. bank statements it will show a 3% foreign transaction fee and also my bank's transaction fee a few days later after the ATM transaction, which is an outrageous $5 fee per transaction from my U.S. BofA account and that's why I seldom use our ATM debit and or credit cards here in the Philippines, unless it's an emergency and or we want to purchase a "must want" item from a department store.
Yeah, this conversation is straying off the OP of SMALL CHANGE, let's end it here and someone else can post a new topic related to ATM extra charges using ATM cards from other countries.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Jimmy

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
My USA Bank has 4 Free ATM charges no matter where we use them I have 2 cards Debit and we get 8 free ATM each month.so no problem using ATM Debit cards from The USA>> ;D we also monitor Both accounts online and do money transfers no problem at all.so no worries mates..no 200 piso charge for us yes the philippines still get there 200 piso for sure.

Offline D. Williams

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »
Yeah, this conversation is straying off the OP of SMALL CHANGE, let's end it here and someone else can post a new topic related to ATM extra charges using ATM cards from other countries.
Thank you Art, I agree members are moving off topic to some degree tho it will be allowed for the both topics are in some ways related. Our goal is to help members with information. Secondly the moderators are also doing our best to moderate as little as possible.  If anyone wants a new topic related to ATM machines and fees then please start one. Thank you all for sharing.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog