Author Topic: Filipina refused boarding on Delta from US to Manila without onward ticket  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
All it takes is one uninformed Delta employee at the check-in counter at the airport to ruin your trip from the US to the Philippines!

Case in point ... Yesterday, my Filipina wife (who is now a US citizen and has a US passport) went to the airport to catch a 'one-way' Delta flight from Fort Myers, FL to Manila via Atlanta and Narita.

She showed the Delta ticket agent her US passport and was told that since she is traveling on a US passport that she would need either a round trip ticket or have an onward ticket out of the Philippines before he would issue her a boarding pass.

Her US passport clearly shows that her nationality is the Philippines (she was born in the Philippines), but that was not good enough for this ticket agent at the check-in counter. I told this ticket agent that persons born in the Philippines don't need an onward ticket as per Filipino Immigrations ... but he said that if she is not traveling on a Philippines passport, she did need that onward ticket.

Well .... it turns out that my wife just happened to have her old Philippines passport in her bag ... she was then issued a boarding pass.

Had she not had that Philippines passport, she would have never gotten on the flight, and I would be out the $1,200 that ticket cost.

Rant over !   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:15:51 PM by Flt Simulation »
Out of Stock Sir !

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
I had posted about this somewhere on this forum before.
Delta has given me trouble almost every year that my wife and I travel to the Philippines. We more or less use Delta as they are partners with Korean Air, so we take Delta from Fort Lauderdale to wherever we catch or KAL flight. I always carry a copy of the BB law as well as an email from the BI to show them because they have tried to deny me a boarding pass almost every year for many years now. I suggest everyone carry a copy of the Balikbayan law. I have even called Delta corporate offices only to be blown off with them saying that it is up to the passenger to prove they are allowed to travel without a visa or return ticket. Happy your wife had her Philippine passport, otherwise I would advise she demand to see a supervisor, they usually know the rules better than clerks but having a copy of the law is the best way to shut them up.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
This is straight from the Republic of the Philippines - Bureau of Immigrations website:

Who are exempt from the return ticket requirement?        

1. Philippine passport holders;

2. Former Filipinos and their dependents (immediate family members);

3. Permanent residents and holders of other special visa categories requiring temporary residents (with valid ACR I-Cards);       

a. Passports of recognized foreign-government officials;
b. Visa under CA 613, Sec. 9, except Sec.  9(a), and 47(a)(2)  where visa validity extends beyond passport expiration date, provided, an embassy or consulate is maintained in the Philippines;
c. Those admitted by the Commissioner on humanitarian grounds.

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
This is straight from the Republic of the Philippines - Bureau of Immigrations website:

Who are exempt from the return ticket requirement?        

1. Philippine passport holders;

2. Former Filipinos and their dependents (immediate family members);

3. Permanent residents and holders of other special visa categories requiring temporary residents (with valid ACR I-Cards);       

a. Passports of recognized foreign-government officials;
b. Visa under CA 613, Sec. 9, except Sec.  9(a), and 47(a)(2)  where visa validity extends beyond passport expiration date, provided, an embassy or consulate is maintained in the Philippines;
c. Those admitted by the Commissioner on humanitarian grounds.
Now you know all about it, just show it to those lame airline ticket counter agents when coming to the Philippines. Been around 18 yrs and we seldom fly anymore, but never haven't had any problems with airport and or BI representatives since I'm familiar with most of their rules and regulations.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
The last time I flew here it was when I moved here and the first time I came here on Delta.  I had to get a tourist stamp for the first couple of weeks so I had an onward ticket out of the Philippines.  I still had problems at the Delta desk in Detroit with one of the personal there while switching planes.  Twice while getting checked in and then going trying to go onboard.  At the check-in I thought it was all straightened out so I went and sat down to wait.  Then when boarding time came, the same girl was taking the tickets and when I came up to her in line, she held me up again and insisted I could not get on.  I stepped to the side and asked her to let the rest the people board while I waited to get it straightened out.  She began getting a little hostile though so I looked for someone else and then another woman who was apparently a supervisor came over and I asked her to look at my stuff.  By chance, she just happened to be a Filipina and when she looked at my onward ticket she looked at me and grinned a little and then handed the ticket to the other girl and told her that I was ok to get onboard.  And away I went.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • 1st Time with all 5 Grandchildren Together 2016!
As Judge Judy says, "You Can't Fix Stupid!"

Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
I  had encountered similar problems with Delta,  Cebu Air Pacific in Hong Kong and  Sydney.  I was not intimidated  because I knew staff at the airlines counter knew no better.  I asked them nicely to check with their managers - everything was fine when they got back to me.

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
All it takes is one uninformed Delta employee at the check-in counter at the airport to ruin your trip from the US to the Philippines!

Case in point ... Yesterday, my Filipina wife (who is now a US citizen and has a US passport) went to the airport to catch a 'one-way' Delta flight from Fort Myers, FL to Manila via Atlanta and Narita.

She showed the Delta ticket agent her US passport and was told that since she is traveling on a US passport that she would need either a round trip ticket or have an onward ticket out of the Philippines before he would issue her a boarding pass.

Her US passport clearly shows that her nationality is the Philippines (she was born in the Philippines), but that was not good enough for this ticket agent at the check-in counter. I told this ticket agent that persons born in the Philippines don't need an onward ticket as per Filipino Immigrations ... but he said that if she is not traveling on a Philippines passport, she did need that onward ticket.

Well .... it turns out that my wife just happened to have her old Philippines passport in her bag ... she was then issued a boarding pass.

Had she not had that Philippines passport, she would have never gotten on the flight, and I would be out the $1,200 that ticket cost.

Rant over !   
I just wanted to point out that the US passport does not list dual nationalities in it, but only US Citizenship.

Also, the Philippines does NOT practice Jus Soli!
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
I just wanted to point out that the US passport does not list dual nationalities in it, but only US Citizenship.
True, but it does list place of birth, as in my wife's U.S. passport it says Philippines and she never has a problem getting a boarding pass, it is me that always has a issue with the airlines until I show they a copy of the Balikbayan law and work on them a bit, convincing them that I do not need a visa or onward ticket but I always have a return ticket anyway dated within 3 to 4 months.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline UNGGOY

True, but it does list place of birth, as in my wife's U.S. passport it says Philippines and she never has a problem getting a boarding pass, it is me that always has a issue with the airlines until I show they a copy of the Balikbayan law and work on them a bit, convincing them that I do not need a visa or onward ticket but I always have a return ticket anyway dated within 3 to 4 months.
Place of birth means nothing to a Jus Sanguinis country though.

Which is most countries.

Not to mention there are countries that expressly forbid dual-citizenship.

So it does not matter if the US Passport says. The US Passport only says you are a US Citizen.

The Balikbayan law does not apply either. That is only for former Philippine citizens. That does not apply to people born in the Philippines.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Filipina refused boarding on Delta from US to Manila without onward ticket
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
UNGGOY you might want to read the following:

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

BI interprets so loosely that my Filipina wife and I leave for a few days and I get the BB versus her being gone for 1 year.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »
UNGGOY you might want to read the following:

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

BI interprets so loosely that my Filipina wife and I leave for a few days and I get the BB versus her being gone for 1 year.

Chuck

His point was that someone born in the PHL to parents that are not PHL citizens is not a PHL citizen.  So just because the U.S. passport says place of birth is the PHL it is not proof that the person was a former PHL citizen.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
His point was that someone born in the PHL to parents that are not PHL citizens is not a PHL citizen.  So just because the U.S. passport says place of birth is the PHL it is not proof that the person was a former PHL citizen.

My point was his statement "That is only for former Philippine citizens".  That is incorrect according to the BI page I referenced.  As OFW and current citizens can be Balikbayan.  Also showing of previous Philippine passport or US naturalization papers should show the prior citizenship of the US passport holder. JMHO

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
Exactly right.  ;D

Offline UNGGOY

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 11:26:48 AM »
My point was his statement "That is only for former Philippine citizens".  That is incorrect according to the BI page I referenced.  As OFW and current citizens can be Balikbayan.  Also showing of previous Philippine passport or US naturalization papers should show the prior citizenship of the US passport holder. JMHO

Chuck
Ah right. Out of the country a year, if I recall?

Of course a PHL passport proves PHL citizenship.

But not the USA one.

Don't get me wrong. I hate it too. As a PR, I always get the stupid "You you a return ticket or I can't let you board." I always have to explain it is an "onward ticket", not return. And that I don't need to go anywhere, as the Philippines is my home! It is sometimes quite a pain. IATA does not show what a an Ube Leche Plan card looks like.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog