Author Topic: Taguig City Requirements For Application For Marriage License  (Read 3267 times)

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
Taguig City Requirements For Application For Marriage License
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:12:37 AM »
Hi all,

I have attached a PDF of the requirements for obtaining a marriage license in Taguig City.

Every location it seems has different requirements, so this is just for reference purposes.

The main requirements here in Taguig that seem to be different from a lot of other places is the 6 months residency prior to making the application, and that the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract marriage has to be authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Thanks
Thomas

Offline User444

Re: Taguig City Requirements For Application For Marriage License
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 05:31:42 PM »
August 2018
I am planning on getting a marriage license from the Taguig City Hall next week. This is required:
1. If the foreigner has never been married, he needs to buy a document from his embassy. If you are from the USA, pay $50 for an Affidavidt in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. Create an appointment online:
https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=MNL&appcode=1
2. Photocopy your passport picture page and arrival stamp page
3. Buy a CENOMAR from https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/default.aspx It costs around $10 and even though your parents have never lived in the Philippines and you have never lived here or been married here, you still have to prove that you are not in their database. Crazy bureaucracy
4. Marriage class certificate. Classes are held on Tuesday and Thursday at 1:30 PM

Offline User444

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »
It took 5.5 hours. Our goal was to complete everything in one day. This lady wrote down how many photocopies you'll need of everything.  (moderator cut, link removed as it violates the rules of this forum)

I had requested a cenomar on the previous Thursday and while my fiancé received hers in 3 days, mine took 7 days. They delivered it at 10:45 AM. We arrived at the city hall by 11:55 AM on Thursday.
We got a queue number, waiting 25 minutes and were calling into the civil registry office. He looked over our documents and asked for my red ribbon seal on my embassy affidavit request. What?!  Never heard of that. It had a raised seal that the embassy lady notarized my letter with. He said he would check to see if they had a copy of her signature on file. If they did, she was an approved source. Susan Phemister's signature was on file, so we proceeded. He gave us a copy of a marriage application and told us to do a rough draft first. We left, filled out the form, and came back. He corrected a lot of things in red ink (write Not Related in the relationship with partner). Then he gave us 4 copies of the real application. You can't make any mistakes.

We went to the family planning class (you get a pre marriage class certificate) down the street at 1:30 PM. I had read that other cities only require people 24 years old and below to take the class. Not so with Taguig. There were 25 couples there. It was taught in Tagalog. About 45 minutes. She talked about contraceptives and had a flip book of sexual organs. We then received a certificate that we had to photocopy and give to the registrar. And we had to go upstairs and get the marriage application notarized. The whole cost was around $5-$6. You have to pay at window 6. There is also a photocopy machine and the workers made me several copies for free. They also don’t take a noon lunch break which helps speed things along.
Since there were a lot of couples, we waited around a lot. I saw a couple go into the office for their interview and it took 15 minutes. The employee told us we were 8th in line. 15 min per couple, 8th in line, that means we have about a 2 hour wait. And it's 4:15 PM. We left for some afternoon food. We came back after 35 minutes and they said they had called our name for the interview but we weren't there. So we waited some more. It was now 5 PM and all the workers queued up in the hallway to clock out. They asked the remaining couples to wait in the office. We had our interview and they asked us how we met, when we were planning to get married, our occupations, religion, family names, and gave us some info about picking up the license. We were done by 5:30 PM!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:21:59 PM by Lee2 »

Offline max111

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 03:45:08 PM »
How about boarding a flihgt to, say, HK. Get married there and then register the marriage in the Philippines. Yes, no joy for the family.

Offline User444

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »
That could work. The application fee is about 4,000 pesos, you have to wait 15-17 days for Hong Kong to process the request, and then you can get married. You need your ID but it seems slightly less hassle than the PH. My friend in California just applied for a marriage license. It took 25 minutes and cost about 4,000 pesos. Much easier. All you need is your ID, the money, and the application.

I picked up my marriage license today. It took about 10 minutes.  They wanted me to check to make sure the names were correct. Now to find a courthouse or mayor's office that can perform the ceremony. Taguig City Hall told me to go to Pasig's City Hall to register for the raffle. I called Pasig and they said the enter names and times into the raffle every Monday for the judge.

Offline User444

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
I went to the Pasig City Hall and Courthouse today. I can't marry there because I have an Affidavit in Lieu of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage document. The judge and mayor's office only accept a Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage document.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
If the document is certified/noterized from the US Embassy they are just F-ing with you. That's all I had to have was what they issued which was a form notarized form letter from them.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 07:47:24 AM »
The US Embassy website states the affidavit it issues does not meet the requirements of the Philippines law.  While a lot of the cities accept the affidavit not all do.  The US does not have a centralized registry for divorces so they can not comply with the Philippine law.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline User444

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »
Yes, it was notarized. Taguig took the affidavit letter from the US Embassy, but Pasig wouldn't accept it. If Taguig was breaking the law, the Pasig Courthouse should investigate! It just seemed like the Office of the Court Clerk at Pasig didn't want to have anything to do with this process. She basically said Taguig can break the law of the Philippines but Pasig won't do that. Well, get your judge to process the criminals in Taguig that are taking affidavit letters instead of legal capacity letters. It doesn't make sense that there is no rule that applies to everyone. This community does it one way, while the adjacent one does it another way. I went to Makati and they took the affidavit letter. Seems like Pasig is behind the times. 

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
All the affidavits by the Embassy the Embassy are notarized.  ;)   Extract from US Embassy website: "The Philippine Government requires all foreigners to provide a “Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage” from his/her embassy before filing for a marriage license. This certification affirms that there are no legal impediments to the foreigner marrying a Filipino (i.e., that the foreigner is already married to someone else). Unlike the Philippines and many other foreign countries, the U.S. Government does not keep a central statistical registry for births, marriages and deaths and cannot verify this information.

U.S. consular officers are prohibited by U.S. law from making any official certification about the status or eligibility to marry of U.S. citizens who propose to be married abroad, or about the laws of the United States or of any of the fifty States or Territories about eligibility for marriage or the solemnization of a marriage. Instead, the U.S. Embassy provides U.S. citizens the opportunity to sign an “Affidavit In Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage,” a self-certification that the U.S. citizen is free to marry in the Philippines. The Philippine government has generally accepted this affidavit as satisfying the requirement to certify the U.S. citizen’s eligibility to marry in the Philippines.

The affidavit is the only document the U.S. Embassy is able to provide with regards to establishing an individual U.S. citizen’s eligibility to marry.  If the local registrar refuses to accept the affidavit, there is nothing that the U.S. Embassy in Manila can do.  It is the U.S citizen’s responsibility to verify requirements directly with the local registrar."

The above is pretty explicit that the US Embassy CANNOT provide the document required by Philippine law. They do the Affidavit instead  which some jurisdictions will accept and some will not.  This is the Philippines and the same office/department does not always do the same thing.  Learned that lesson with being here very quickly also learned your not going to change that.  I advised you that not all cities would accept the affidavit in a previous post.  Maybe you ignored it or did not read it. 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline User444

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »
Thanks Chuck. Yes, I had read the US Embassy's site well before arriving in Manila. I was also replying to Medic's post. This post is to help future readers that may go to Taguig's City Hall. I understand that the US does not have a centralized registry of marriages and the Philippines does. My post was more of a complaint against Taguig and Pasig. The Taguig Civil Registrar's office told me Pasig and Taguig share the same judges or something like that. So I had to go to Pasig's courthouse to register for a civil wedding. If Taguig accepted my affidavit and Pasig and Taguig have some sort of partnership, you would think that Pasig would also accept it. Or, she should have told me not to go to Pasig; that they would deny me. But she said that Pasig was the place to go. It was just miscommunication and ignorance on her part.

This was from an older post: There were reports on that three local civil registrars had refused to accept the Affidavit In Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. The three registrars listed were Makati City, Quezon City and Davao City.

Taguig accepted my affidavit and gave me the marriage license. So I've completed the civil registrar step. I had to have it signed by a solemnizing officer (judge, mayor, or priest) within 120 days. Taguig told me to go to Pasig. Pasig is not on that above list of civil registrars but they denied my request to have a judge or mayor sign my license. In the end, Makati (which is on that list) allowed me to be married by the mayor and accepted my marriage license.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog