Author Topic: Hi from a noob and would like internet info for Palawan  (Read 2908 times)

Offline denben1

Hi from a noob and would like internet info for Palawan
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »
Hi everyone, my wife & I are thinking of retiring to Palawan, we have read a mountain of info' about it, however a lot of info' about internet speed & reliability seems to be contradictory, because I run a small online business which supplements our pensions, it is very important to have a reliable connection and preferably a fast one, so if anyone can throw some light onto this subject we would be most grateful. Thanks.

(updated title :Lee)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:01:59 PM by Lee »

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Hi from a noob
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum can you please give us an intro in the link below, thanks.  I do not live in Palawan so will leave it to other members to provide info on internet providers there.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
Hello denben1.
Thank you for joining our site.  As bigrod asked, please give us some more information on you please.

As to your question.  Someone from Palawan will need to give you a more constructive answer than what I can.  I can say this from the travels I've done in the Phils.  It depends on location, location, location.  I live "local" in the capital of the province I live in.  We have some so so speeds here, compared to what is expected in the Phils. 

Next municipality over, where there is a very nice sub-division full of foreigners, they have squat.  Using all the wireless networks and their phones as hot spots.  They have a nice neighborhood, and nice big houses...but the system in their area sucks.  Meanwhile, I'm in an ok home, just a couple stone throws from a squatter neighborhood, and have much better setup. 

Where you live will have a lot to do with the connection you get to the net.  Also, some cities have better connections than others.  Some have same connection, but the companies running them do a better job than their competitors. 

I live on the opposite side of the Visayas.  But I do believe we have a few no this site form Palawan. Hope they can come on and help you out.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:00:36 PM »
Hi everyone, my wife & I are thinking of retiring to Palawan, we have read a mountain of info' about it, however a lot of info' about internet speed & reliability seems to be contradictory, because I run a small online business which supplements our pensions, it is very important to have a reliable connection and preferably a fast one, so if anyone can throw some light onto this subject we would be most grateful. Thanks.

Welcome! Enjoy the forum.
First may I suggest you say where in Palawan you intend to live, that way one of our members who lives there can tell you how the internet there might work. I know a couple of members who live there have written in the past that their connections are slow where they live. I also read an article "PLDT, Smart building new P1.4-B fiber optic backbone to Palawan" http://tinyurl.com/jazou7v which makes it sound like they should have pretty good internet at least in the city by now.

Hopefully one of the members who live there can give you more information when they sign in.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline denben1

Re: Hi from a noob and would like internet info for Palawan
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:50:09 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, I've never been on a forum before so thought my post had been deleted, anyway finally found it. So a bit about my wife & me. Originally from Wales in the UK, came to New Zealand several years ago, my wife has always been in admin positions whilst I worked in the oil industry. We retired earlier this year but found our retirement income does not cut the mustard when it comes to cost of living here. So we are planning to move to the Ph' next year, Puerto Princesa on Palawan. I run a small online business to supplement our pensions, so a reliable internet connection is important.

So anyone from Palawan who can shed any light on the matter would be great. Cheers

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, I've never been on a forum before so thought my post had been deleted, anyway finally found it. So a bit about my wife & me. Originally from Wales in the UK, came to New Zealand several years ago, my wife has always been in admin positions whilst I worked in the oil industry. We retired earlier this year but found our retirement income does not cut the mustard when it comes to cost of living here. So we are planning to move to the Ph' next year, Puerto Princesa on Palawan. I run a small online business to supplement our pensions, so a reliable internet connection is important.

So anyone from Palawan who can shed any light on the matter would be great. Cheers

When you first asked the question I sent a private message to member Big daddy Ray who lives on Palawan but have yet to receive a reply, yet I know he had posted in the past about how slow his internet was where he lived and how the power is always going out where he lives, I hope he is okay.

I also sent an email to Colin to see how he is doing and asked about the internet where he lives on Palawan and below is the part of his reply about the internet.
I am not sure that I can answer your question about internet speeds on Palawan as I have only been there for a few weeks at the beginning of the years, during the last 18 months. I use a PLDT system costing P1699 which seems OK and adequate for me, but I donít do streaming just downloading e-books some software, emails etc. I have not checked the speed since I changed to this system. I live close to Puerto Princesa city centre and I doubt if the internet will be very good away from there. 

Next besides the article I posted above, there is another article that might interest you.
PLDT HOME Bro launches ultra-fast wireless Internet with Ultera (in Palawan)
http://www.pldt.com/news-center/article/2014/05/05/pldt-home-bro-launches-ultra-fast-wireless-internet-with-ultera#.V-2rE_krKUk

PLDT also has a facebook page for Palawan that should give you some information and you can also ask them questions on there.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PLDT-Puerto-Princesa-Palawan/145482722329419

So, if you will live in the city, then I am pretty sure you could get a good connection speed but if outside the city then I doubt it, maybe you can get a more solid answer on their facebook page. Also be sure to ask about data caps, it seems that most of those providing internet nowadays have data caps for new customers, so you might want to make sure the data cap in that area is enough for you or you might want to get a business connection, which would then be unlimited but to get a business connection you would need a business license and I do not know what else.

Hope that helps...
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 03:41:36 AM »
Hi denben

I have absolutely no idea what are the internet speeds available in Palawan, but what I do find strange about your post is that you say you are interested to retire to Palawan and have done a lot of reading........
Without an introduction it is very difficult to understand where you are coming from.
Have you actually been to Palawan, indeed have you been to Philippines?
I can appreciate that internet speeds may have some relevance to your online business, but there are a mountain of more important things to consider.
I really suggest that you would be best served by making a  visit and then you can observe first hand, the life style, cost of living, security, health care facilities, oh and then of course the internet speed.

(Moved post out of quote box, please post below the last [/quote ] :Lee)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:19:26 AM by Lee »
Londoner at heart

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog