Author Topic: Any diehard fans still using XP and or Vista?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Any diehard fans still using XP and or Vista?
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:57:30 AM »
I have an old HP desktop with Windows Vista, but from what I've read here http://tinyurl.com/hfmgx3z it's no longer safe, but there are still alternatives.

Itís a little confusing, so hereís the lowdown for Windows XP and Vista users for what browsers are, and arenít, supported: go to the link to read more.

Ever since reading this article, I have been getting weird glitches on my old HP desktop with a Vista OS and Google Chrome as my default web browser along with slimjet, firefox and IE9 as my backup browsers, but my slimjet (chrome based) browser is still the fastest of them all without too many issues.
Has anyone upgraded from an XP or Vista OS to Windows 10 from an old 32 bit desktop?
Maybe it's time to checkout and install Abuntu as my OS replacement for my old HP 32 bit desktop with Windows Vista. Shame to see it go from this old die hard fan of Windows Vista.  ::) ??? :o ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Igorotak

Re: Any diehard fans still using XP and or Vista?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:23:16 AM »
Art, I am surprised that there ARE any Vista fans. Vista was the biggest failure of Microsoft, EVER. That is not just my opinion, (I never had Vista more than 2 days) but the general opinion in the computer world.
Windows XP has always been very stable from it's release but no longer supported by Microsoft. Mind you, XP was released in 2002, 14 years ago! XP has always been considered the best O.S. of Windows.
XP was followed by Vista but never gained any popularity. Then came Windows7, also considered a very good, stable and popular O.S. Then we saw another failure: Windows 8, hated by many, never gained any popularity.
I had it installed, looked at it for 3-4 days and wiped it of my system.
Now we have Windows 10, IMHO the best OS so far from Microsoft. It is very stable, low on resources, fast and I think very easy on the eye. I've had it installed now on several computers, even old netbooks too slow for XP but fine with W10 on only 2gb RAM.
Booting from hibernation in 25 seconds! Windows 10 doesn't entirely shut down by default, but leaves a small amount of data in memory. 
Remember, old systems like XP are no longer supported and will be vulnerable to attacks. I am not sure if Vista is still supported but I will be surprised if it is.

For me, there is NO WAY back. Windows 10 is the way to go. You will find it a lot faster on your old HP machine.

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 05:07:51 PM »
Hi Art. I have two old desktops still around running XP. Do not use them much, just have ton of old archived material on them. I use a big and heavy (about 14 lbs) laptop (Toshiba Satellite P875) as my "desktop"... running Windows 10.

I loved XP, stopped using it only because of lack of support. However, now that I am used to W10, I would never go back to XP.  If your HP has the capacity for W10, I would go that route.

Your friend, Tom.
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
Good to see you back on here Tom! It's been a while.
Yeah, ever since using Vista for some time now on my desktop since day one, I've never had any issues. I haven't checked yet to see if my desktop with Vista will upgrade to Windows 10.
We do have Windows 10 on our 2 newer laptops, but seldom use them, but just to turn them on, charge their batteries and do updates.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:27 PM »
A person with Vista would have to pay for 10, so since a lot of people are still using xp in the business world (I was in Staples the other day and they are still using XP) as well as all over the Philippines, I would continue using vista but never to check into anything important such as a bank or credit card, IMO it is fine to continue using on forums and for reading whatever is online but I would be sure to also have a virus program, just in case.

I am happy with 7 and will stay with it as long as I can.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Igorotak

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »
Before die-hards decide to stick with old unsupported O.S read this:

Almost six thousand online shops and stores have had skimming scripts installed on their networks as part of a large and continuously active campaign that may have ripped hundreds of thousands of credit card details over the last few months.

Further:

"Worryingly, according to Groot, much of the current problem could be simply eradicated by simply updating or regularly upgrading their current software."

Read the entire text here: http://news.filehippo.com/2016/10/6000-online-shops-have-embedded-malicious-ccode/

For the list of affected stores: https://gitlab.com/gwillem/public-snippets/snippets/28813

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »
macOS Sierra for me.
Londoner at heart

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
When I get around to it, as my alternative option I'll just replace the hardware in my old HP desktop's CPU with Windows 10 already included or I may have an Ubuntu OS installed.  http://tinyurl.com/jlqbho5
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:16 AM »
Desktops are not expensive in the Philippines.  It is laptops here that command a heftier price.  I think it is better to have a laptop built with just what you want.  Including buying and installing the OS that you want and skipping out on all the freaking bloatware.  I think bloatware causes most of the problems.  And when downloading free stuff, a lot of people do not custom install and read what they are trying to download on you besides what you want.

With those old OS, good luck on finding a free virus scan to run on it without any problems.  I don't know about paid virus programs and an older OS but running a current one, I have found that free ones only lack the phone support.  So why pay a yearly fee for virus data bases?  They sure will try and hit you up with other junk though with the free one.

I tried Windows 10 and went back to 7.  I don't know if I will ever go to 10 again.  Not if I can help it.  Windows needs to come out with a decent OS like XP was or 7 and keep all the snooping crap off of it that 10 has and wants to change stuff on you without you knowing.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Igorotak

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Windows needs to come out with a decent OS like XP was or 7 and keep all the snooping crap off of it that 10 has and wants to change stuff on you without you knowing.

That's the easy part, just go to your "Privacy Settings" and turn them ALL OFF!
As far as your free virus programs concerned, you're right. The free scanners are either just as good or better.
There is a German website who tests all the security software once every 6 months and publishes a report:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
Just take your pick.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
That's the easy part, just go to your "Privacy Settings" and turn them ALL OFF!
As far as your free virus programs concerned, you're right. The free scanners are either just as good or better.
There is a German website who tests all the security software once every 6 months and publishes a report:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/
Just take your pick.

Thanks but, I use that test site for researching, along with a couple of test labs, on a virus program but I am saying good luck in finding one for an old OS.  My wife has one desktop at her office with XP on it still and I have not found one yet that will work with XP even though I have found recommended downloads for one that will work on it.  It is a snap to get one that works on a newer OS.  And I will still pass on relying on the security settings for 10. 

Offline Igorotak

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
Thanks but, I use that test site for researching, along with a couple of test labs, on a virus program but I am saying good luck in finding one for an old OS. 

Even the latest and the best security software doesn't protect you against Operating System vulnerabilities. That's what system updates are for. XP is no longer supported and therefor you put yourself at risk, regardless of the anti-virus software you are looking for.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
I am not relying an outdated OS but ok, you are right about all that you say.

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »
Windows needs to come out with a decent OS like XP was or 7 and keep all the snooping crap off of it that 10 has and wants to change stuff on you without you knowing.

My prayers would be answered.  I do a lot of work at home, often time sensitive.  It seems that every time I turn on my computer, unrequested changes have taken place that I must decipher before doing my work, or worse, some download will be half done, etc.  If I were not tech-tarded I might could fix this... but I am.

I sometimes feel as though I do not own my own computer.
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
I sometimes feel as though I do not own my own computer.

I'm tellin ya, you need to bite the learning curve bullet and switch to Linux.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog