Author Topic: Staying in Manila, where to stay on a budget  (Read 2503 times)

Offline CebuSteve

Staying in Manila, where to stay on a budget
« on: November 03, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
hello, I have been looking on various hotel booking sites and want to know if i can find a basic, but safe hotel/guesthouse (not a dorm or share space but a private room) for less than 10 per night. Is this possible and where/which website would people recommend I look.

thanks

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Staying in Manila, where to stay on a budget
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 08:08:21 AM »
You might wish to try https://www.airbnb.com/
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Igorotak

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »
hello, I have been looking on various hotel booking sites and want to know if i can find a basic, but safe hotel/guesthouse (not a dorm or share space but a private room) for less than 10 per night. Is this possible and where/which website would people recommend I look.

thanks

Steve, remember you arrive at 2am. Staying in cheap places will take you to cheap/shoddy areas of town. I would suggest to stay the first night in a decent hotel, especially after a long haul. Don't put yourself at risk.
Then, the following morning, get your bearings and stay wherever you feel comfortable. 
But, less than 10 pounds?? That is less than 600 peso?? In Manila?? That is VERY low budget.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:46:02 AM by Igorotak »

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 10:47:34 AM »
You might want to consider Swagman in Ermita they include airport transfer in some of their room rates.

http://www.swagman.theorientalhotels.com/promo/

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:11:31 PM »
You will get accomodation for that price but it will not be a private room. You will have to share..... with cockroaches, iguanas, mosquitos....

Offline D. Williams

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 11:53:51 PM »
You will get accomodation for that price but it will not be a private room. You will have to share..... with cockroaches, iguanas, mosquitos....
Easy goes it James, this forums is here to help members not chase them away.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Mentalist

• Kamote
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »
Is this also applicable on renting a condo? Can anyone elaborate the condotel? TIA

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:41 AM »
10 pounds is like p700! I do not know where you guys are staying, but that is more than we usually pay for a really nice room with aircon, flushing toilet en suite, and even hot water!

Try Sogo. They are everywhere.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:55 AM »
Shogun Suites hotel.  This is not for living really, but it's the place I always stay in when visiting Manila.  Good breakfast buffet(unlimited), nice beds with good AC and private bathroom and for me, perfectly located in Pasay.  Just north of the airport with free pickup(drop off costs though).  A short drive from MOA and shorter walk to the start of the MRT train to get everywhere else you desire.  It is attached to a mall and a short walk from another.  Most fast foods within easy walking distance, and the rest within a short driving distance.

Costs hit around $30-40/night. 

http://shogunsuites.com/packages/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:13:11 AM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
Shogun Suites hotel.  This is not for living really, but it's the place I always stay in when visiting Manila.  Good breakfast buffet(unlimited), nice beds with good AC and private bathroom and for me, perfectly located in Pasay.  Just north of the airport with free pickup(drop off costs though).  A short drive from MOA and shorter walk to the start of the MRT train to get everywhere else you desire.  It is attached to a mall and a short walk from another.  Most fast foods within easy walking distance, and the rest within a short driving distance.

Costs hit around $30-40/night. 

http://shogunsuites.com/packages/

"On a budget". Ha ha. I thought that meant cheap, not expensive! That nightly rate is enough to rent a place for a month!
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
"On a budget". Ha ha. I thought that meant cheap, not expensive! That nightly rate is enough to rent a place for a month!
Very few of us could live a month on $30 to $40 in a place, I know that you have posted that you rent places for p2,000 a month, those types of places likely would not be for most westerners, I know that they definitely would not be for me but I do know that Unggoys live in trees and like to eat bananas, so that would likely save a lot lol.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
Victoria Laguna, Pila Laguna and surrounding area's of Luzon the rent will not be more than 4,000 pesos and it will be a nice spot, I've never heard of these ridiculous prices other than online or in these forums for rentals, complete and utter insanity but hey if you got it flaunt it.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »
I do not think I could take living in such a place for a month when it only costs that much to live there.  My parents have a motorhome that if brought here probably couldn't go for that cheap in the cheapest part of the country.  I enjoy my own private bath, home with aircon, nice comfortable bed, full kitchen with full appliances, dressers, closets and the such. 
Granted, the hotel I was posting about doesn't have the full kitchen.  Just the microwave and half fridge.  And the free breakfast that is unlimited buffet in style.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »
Victoria Laguna, Pila Laguna and surrounding area's of Luzon the rent will not be more than 4,000 pesos and it will be a nice spot, I've never heard of these ridiculous prices other than online or in these forums for rentals, complete and utter insanity but hey if you got it flaunt it.

I have a feeling that sooner or later the price will get more ridiculous and will be below p2,000/mo. rent as he is tired of dishing that out to someone else.  I still haven't figured out where a household of 18 can get by on a budget of USD300 a month.
Whatever floats your boat.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog