Author Topic: UK citizen ready to move  (Read 5614 times)

Offline hayling

UK citizen ready to move
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:23:08 AM »
Hello
Firstly, as a lurker for a few weeks, really digesting the various topics, I want to say what an amazing and helpful insight this has been for all the pros and cons of moving to The Philippines.

I am a UK citizen, I moved to New York eight years ago, after redundancy and being self employed. I was married in NY, but sadly it hasn't worked out, and although I work and pay taxes here, life is a struggle.
I met a wonderful person online (yes, I know you have heard it all before, lol)...She is a more mature ladyboy shall we say, who is unlike many I see and read, in that, in the 6 months I have known her, she has asked me for nothing. We talk every day when I call. She lives in the Lezo, Alkan region, very simple life with her mama, works hard, and I would love to visit, with the idea of settling there... I am in my 50's have a company pension of around 1,000 GB pounds per month.

That is my story for now, I know it sounds quite strange maybe, but I need to wind down and want simplicity without the stress that seems to have followed me these last years...I don't ask or expect much other than to grow older with peace and some tranquility. I enjoy work, outdoor work and general helping along.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: UK citizen ready to move
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:29:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum, hope things work out well for you both. If you have any question then feel free to ask and our members and forum staff very often will know the answers or know where to steer you for the answers. Enjoy the forum, it makes most of us happy that it has been of help to you and others, that is what we are here for.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hayling

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:39:24 AM »
Welcome to the forum, hope things work out well for you both. If you have any question then feel free to ask and our members and forum staff very often will know the answers or know where to steer you for the answers. Enjoy the forum, it makes most of us happy that it has been of help to you and others, that is what we are here for.

Thanks Lee, as I say this forum has been such a Godsend, helping me with info and opening my eyes...Been a difficult few years..Yes I am obviously both excited and maybe apprehensive in some ways, but I need to follow this through.  I'm sure there will be many questions, but when there I hope I can also help others by sharing my experiences...Thanks again

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:20:47 AM »
Thanks Lee, as I say this forum has been such a Godsend, helping me with info and opening my eyes...Been a difficult few years..Yes I am obviously both excited and maybe apprehensive in some ways, but I need to follow this through.  I'm sure there will be many questions, but when there I hope I can also help others by sharing my experiences...Thanks again
You are welcome, that was always what I felt forums were about, gain knowledge and then hopefully give some back to help others, that has been what I have tried to do for many years now, if most people did the same way then more people would not have to make the mistakes or learn the hard way as many of us have had to do.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
ok welcome to this forum . two things to be aware of first you will not be getting married per say in eyes of the law thus need a visa . have you looked into what type visa you might try to get? tourist visa renewable (2 or 6 month) is 3 years for uk citz .2nd have you thought about access to your pension and banking in ph as it does get complicated if dont know system. like the 27 day hold on and check you deposit from foreign bank.just my thoughts to help you prepare :)

Offline hayling

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
ok welcome to this forum . two things to be aware of first you will not be getting married per say in eyes of the law thus need a visa . have you looked into what type visa you might try to get? tourist visa renewable (2 or 6 month) is 3 years for uk citz .2nd have you thought about access to your pension and banking in ph as it does get complicated if dont know system. like the 27 day hold on and check you deposit from foreign bank.just my thoughts to help you prepare :)

Thanks, yes, It wasn't marriage in any form, but just as a tourist initially I wanted, a return ticket, but apply to extend if I can...I'm hoping the pension is straightforward, as I have a bank account still in the UK and is linked to my Mastercard, so as long as I have access to an ATM I would hope that this could continue the same way.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
My opinion would be to make sure to have more than one way to get cash, at least 2 but IMO 3 or even 4 ways. Also check expiration dates on credit cards and ATM cards before heading to the Philippines, I did not do that one year and my main card expired while we were in the Philippines and I was needing some cash, luckily I had other ways to get some.

Offline hayling

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 04:02:03 AM »
My opinion would be to make sure to have more than one way to get cash, at least 2 but IMO 3 or even 4 ways. Also check expiration dates on credit cards and ATM cards before heading to the Philippines, I did not do that one year and my main card expired while we were in the Philippines and I was needing some cash, luckily I had other ways to get some.

Thanks, good point Lee, I will make sure that I have several avenues for cash available...and at the start especially will make sure I have enough to cover everything....It looks like after my allotted 3 years I would have to leave anyway, playing by the rules...Not sure if it helps that my dear friend is best friend to the Mayor of a town.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 04:46:11 AM »
Thanks, good point Lee, I will make sure that I have several avenues for cash available...and at the start especially will make sure I have enough to cover everything....It looks like after my allotted 3 years I would have to leave anyway, playing by the rules...Not sure if it helps that my dear friend is best friend to the Mayor of a town.
No, I doubt that would help in that aspect but you can leave on a flight and do a turn around and come right back, so no need to stay out of the country any length of time and with the long stay visas, you can get those for 6 months at a time beyond your first renewal.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »
Welcome aboard Hayling. Before you come here I presume you are aware of the necessity for an exit flight (throw-away ticket). The cheapest is from Manila to Kota Kinabalu. Some just book and then cancel with their credit card. This evidence will be required for boarding at your end.

Offline hayling

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
Welcome aboard Hayling. Before you come here I presume you are aware of the necessity for an exit flight (throw-away ticket). The cheapest is from Manila to Kota Kinabalu. Some just book and then cancel with their credit card. This evidence will be required for boarding at your end.

Thanks for the welcome, Yes I was aware of that, it maybe actually better if I get a return from here in NY, it would actually make sense, in that although I am trying to leave no stone unturned as far as preparation, just in case for whatever reason something doesn't quite work out, I have the insurance of coming back here...It's not that I hate the US, it's just so expensive, and I really want so much to settle in The Philippines that I will do all I can to make it work. I am under no illusion that anything will be easy or familiar, but I really want and need this, and my dear friend Jojo will be there.

I suppose one question is that what would be the most surprising or unexpected thing or situation that any of you had not reckoned with when you arrived, be it good or bad?

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
just a reminder things are not always cheeper here labor related stuff tends to be cheeper due to low income employees but anything food related tends to be same if not bit higher priced.dont plan to do 2 things the same day with delays ,slow people ,traffic and red tape everywhere 1 thing a day is enough lol.internet suks no mater where you go .and make sure have some kind of health ins that works here or get phil health and any other type when here as phil health mostly covers about 10-20% bill depending where u go and what gets done.your pension should be enough but maybe think of a small business to keep u busy with a little extra income your young and might want travel money.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
Hello
Firstly, as a lurker for a few weeks, really digesting the various topics, I want to say what an amazing and helpful insight this has been for all the pros and cons of moving to The Philippines.

I am a UK citizen, I moved to New York eight years ago, after redundancy and being self employed. I was married in NY, but sadly it hasn't worked out, and although I work and pay taxes here, life is a struggle.
I met a wonderful person online (yes, I know you have heard it all before, lol)...She is a more mature ladyboy shall we say, who is unlike many I see and read, in that, in the 6 months I have known her, she has asked me for nothing. We talk every day when I call. She lives in the Lezo, Alkan region, very simple life with her mama, works hard, and I would love to visit, with the idea of settling there... I am in my 50's have a company pension of around 1,000 GB pounds per month.
That is my story for now, I know it sounds quite strange maybe, but I need to wind down and want simplicity without the stress that seems to have followed me these last years...I don't ask or expect much other than to grow older with peace and some tranquility. I enjoy work, outdoor work and general helping along.
Welcome Hayling,
Well Hayling, if you're looking for simplicity, peace and tranquility, it's possible to find it here in the Philippines, as long you know how to do it your way and possibly with the help of your new friend in Lezo, Alkan, which seems to be off the beaten path from the looks of the region, which I hope can provide you your needed immigration requirements.
See attachment below, which is a list of most BI offices what transactions they can perform (Updated Jan 2016).
The main thing is getting here safely in the Philippines, finding a safe place to make it your temporary home base, (which I would recommend Cebu, since flights out of Cebu are our more convenient). Make sure you have easy access to your money, for starters ATM debit and credits cards will do until you can open a Philippine bank account (usually they require an ACR I-Card, but some will accept applications without it, but only maybe if you talk with the right bank manager).
I would recommend BPI, they are all over the Philippines. HSBC "basic account" is a good 2nd choice as a backup account, which you can open and activate in the U.S..
If internet access is a problem, buy a good android phone with all the goodies.   
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:17:55 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
Your closest BI office is in Kalibo. which is fairly close to Lezo,

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Aklan/@11.6969675,122.3379559,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a57ba40b42fe83:0xbbff0213dae14195!8m2!3d11.8166109!4d122.0941541

Kalibo Immigration Field Office
 ACR I-Card Issuance, Reissuance and Renewal
 Alien Registration Program
 Annual Report
 Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC)
 Extension of Authorized Stay of Temporary Visitors
 Motion for Reconsideration in Visa Extensions
 Special Study Permit (SSP)
 Special Work Permit (SWP)

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 01:21:20 PM »
Hailing,

I live in Roxas City we are around 35 KM from Aklan best you set up temporary head quarters here small town but has 4 malls and 42 Banks 5 large hospitals and several colleges

http://www.roxascity.gov.ph

Aklan is just a wide spot in the road

Kalibo is also a choice for you but is a little farther away from Aklan and has less amenities then Roxas City

Boarding houses in Roxas City around 1800 Piso per month free Wi-fi but bring you own fan

Any way good luck to you   

Tom

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog