Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: UK citizen ready to move  (Read 7045 times)

Offline hayling

Re: UK citizen ready to move
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 02:34:09 AM »
A massive THANK YOU to everyone here who took the time to comment and pass ideas. They are all so valuable to me. This really is a new world.
I know there are many obstacles and hurdles, and there is no guarantee that it will all work, but at least with your help here, at least I know the pitfalls as well as the high points.
I think sometimes there is a tendency to get carried away with the romantic notion of moving to a tropical paradise with swaying palm trees, whilst the reality is far different.
I have a heart condition that is monitored by medication, here in the US it is expensive, whilst in the UK it was obviously great with the NHS (Ironically with many Filipino nurses) so I do need the insurance, although I think general doctor and dental care hopefully will be fine. 

Offline hayling

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 02:37:04 AM »
Hailing,

I live in Roxas City we are around 35 KM from Aklan best you set up temporary head quarters here small town but has 4 malls and 42 Banks 5 large hospitals and several colleges

http://www.roxascity.gov.ph

Aklan is just a wide spot in the road

Kalibo is also a choice for you but is a little farther away from Aklan and has less amenities then Roxas City

Boarding houses in Roxas City around 1800 Piso per month free Wi-fi but bring you own fan

Any way good luck to you   

Tom

Thanks so much, for introducing me to Roxas City...I will need temporary accommodation initially, and these seem reasonable, would they be generally clean and some furnishing, ie a bed for 1800 Piso a month would you say? I guess shared bathrooms.

Offline hayling

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 03:39:02 AM »
Welcome Hayling,
Well Hayling, if you're looking for simplicity, peace and tranquility, it's possible to find it here in the Philippines, as long you know how to do it your way and possibly with the help of your new friend in Lezo, Alkan, which seems to be off the beaten path from the looks of the region, which I hope can provide you your needed immigration requirements.
See attachment below, which is a list of most BI offices what transactions they can perform (Updated Jan 2016).
The main thing is getting here safely in the Philippines, finding a safe place to make it your temporary home base, (which I would recommend Cebu, since flights out of Cebu are our more convenient). Make sure you have easy access to your money, for starters ATM debit and credits cards will do until you can open a Philippine bank account (usually they require an ACR I-Card, but some will accept applications without it, but only maybe if you talk with the right bank manager).
I would recommend BPI, they are all over the Philippines. HSBC "basic account" is a good 2nd choice as a backup account, which you can open and activate in the U.S..
If internet access is a problem, buy a good android phone with all the goodies.   

Thanks Art, yes Lezo does look well off the track, just happens that she lives there with mama, and there is an opportunity to stay there. Actually, the fact of the location also appeals, as Jojo always made it into town daily by Jeepey (A pleasure I look forward to) or tricycle...slowing down my life to a snail pace will be no problem to me, been rushing around all my life

Offline hayling

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 03:40:59 AM »
Your closest BI office is in Kalibo. which is fairly close to Lezo,

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/place/Aklan/@11.6969675,122.3379559,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x33a57ba40b42fe83:0xbbff0213dae14195!8m2!3d11.8166109!4d122.0941541

Kalibo Immigration Field Office
 ACR I-Card Issuance, Reissuance and Renewal
 Alien Registration Program
 Annual Report
 Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC)
 Extension of Authorized Stay of Temporary Visitors
 Motion for Reconsideration in Visa Extensions
 Special Study Permit (SSP)
 Special Work Permit (SWP)

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, this will be a massive help, as I know Kalibo is near, my friend worked in the mall there, and I was just dreading a visit to Manila to do all the paperwork for renewals.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 04:00:04 AM »
A massive THANK YOU to everyone here who took the time to comment and pass ideas. They are all so valuable to me. This really is a new world.
I know there are many obstacles and hurdles, and there is no guarantee that it will all work, but at least with your help here, at least I know the pitfalls as well as the high points.
I think sometimes there is a tendency to get carried away with the romantic notion of moving to a tropical paradise with swaying palm trees, whilst the reality is far different.
I have a heart condition that is monitored by medication, here in the US it is expensive, whilst in the UK it was obviously great with the NHS (Ironically with many Filipino nurses) so I do need the insurance, although I think general doctor and dental care hopefully will be fine.
All insurance in the Philippines that I know of exempts preexisting conditions and anything related to them, so you best figure on having to pay for that yourself and thus work it into your budget. Hopefully you have high available balance credit cards and some savings should you need it..
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hayling

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 04:19:57 AM »
All insurance in the Philippines that I know of exempts preexisting conditions and anything related to them, so you best figure on having to pay for that yourself and thus work it into your budget. Hopefully you have high available balance credit cards and some savings should you need it..

Yes, and it can't be higher than here in the USA, so I'm used to it and with hopefully at least a healthier lifestyle, it will be easier

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:43 AM »
Yes, and it can't be higher than here in the USA, so I'm used to it and with hopefully at least a healthier lifestyle, it will be easier
Hospitalization as well as treatment is less expensive in the Philippines than the US, if a person does not have insurance in either place but in the US there is help for Americans and green card holders and probably free care for illegals, whereas in the Philippines we are basically on our own.

A friend went into the hospital in Cebu for a heart attack and had stents put in, stay and all was around 1.2 million pesos, whereas another expat I know had it done in a govt hospital but with the same quality doctor and it cost him way less, I do not remember the exact amount but I seem to remember that he said it was very inexpensive. I guess the answer is to know the tricks and be lucky, I am going to try to get more direct answers from him when I get back to Cebu in February.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »
A British friend/neighbor of ours in his late 70s had a baseball size cancer tumor in his lower intestines and had to be removed. His Filipino wife managed all of his medical procedures at a Philippine Government in run hospital in Quezon City and had the tumor successfully removed.
His final total medical bill was around P375,000 after a 20% senior citizen discount (meant only for Filipino citizens 60 and over) and Philhealth partially paid their share, percentage wise I don't know what is was. Just imagine what his medical bills could have been without Philhealth and his illegally gotten 20% senior citizen discount. Lucky for him, his wife was a smart cookie and knew the ins and outs negotiating the cost of his medical procedure and payment scheme with the doctor's professional fee charges and hospital stay.
He and his wife returned to the UK when their business here in the Philippines went under and they lost their home too due to bankruptcy of their business.

We also had another British friend/neighbor just across the street from us who battled with stage 4 lung cancer and was hospilized at a private hospital, but sadly he died in the hospital within a short period of time.
The hospital would not release his body to his wife until their P1.5 million bill was paid in full. Fortunately they had the money to pay. His surviving spouse and 13 yr old daughter are still living across the street from us.
Luckily their home was mortgage free and they had a pretty good size nest egg in their local bank account.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 04:05:40 AM »
I suppose one question is that what would be the most surprising or unexpected thing or situation that any of you had not reckoned with when you arrived, be it good or bad?

I suppose if you ask 10 people that question youíll get 50 or more different answers.

Iím assuming you havenít been to the Philippines yet. Well before my first trip to the Philippines there was one thing I wanted to know more about.

This thread will bring you up to speed. You do not want to be blind-sided by this issue.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=48136.0

Offline hayling

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 09:07:17 AM »
I suppose if you ask 10 people that question youíll get 50 or more different answers.

Iím assuming you havenít been to the Philippines yet. Well before my first trip to the Philippines there was one thing I wanted to know more about.

This thread will bring you up to speed. You do not want to be blind-sided by this issue.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=48136.0

Yes, I had read that thread before, and it did worry me until I spoke to my friend Jojo there, and she assures me that they have and she is very clean...
I will be ready (I hope) and expect the worse, but thanks for the heads up on this, very important.