Author Topic: It just got more expensive to become a U.S. citizen  (Read 851 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
It just got more expensive to become a U.S. citizen
« on: December 26, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »
For those thinking about bringing a spouse or relatives to the US, thought you should know.
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the agency charged with handling immigrant applications, said in a statement the proceeds will help cover detecting fraud, processing cases and a range of other administrative costs, in what USCIS called a "weighted average" price hike of 21 percent. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/23/immigration-fees-jump-for-the-first-time-since-2010-making-it-tougher-for-would-be-americans.html
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: It just got more expensive to become a U.S. citizen
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:58:05 AM »
Wonder if it will affect those military members who use the setup through their system to get spouses American Citizenship.  Only one of my ex's sisters went through the process of becoming an American Citizen and that was because she was married to a member of the USAF and it was free.  Also it was expedited.  She went through the whole process in 2 or 3 years and it was mostly covered by the USAF. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
Wonder if it will affect those military members who use the setup through their system to get spouses American Citizenship.  Only one of my ex's sisters went through the process of becoming an American Citizen and that was because she was married to a member of the USAF and it was free.  Also it was expedited.  She went through the whole process in 2 or 3 years and it was mostly covered by the USAF.

Yes the process can be 2-3 years for spouses of Active Duty military, but normally is utilized to grant the citizenship of the spouse so they can accompany the military member on an overseas assignment.  Much easier traveling on the US passport than a foreign passport.

In the early 80s a group of us military guys and are foreign wives were taking a tour from our base in Germany by bus.  Germany/Switzerland/ Lichtenstein/Austria/Italy a couple of the wives had foreign passports and was a big hassle trying to cross one of the borders, if they had US passports it would have been no problem.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:13 AM »
Yes the process can be 2-3 years for spouses of Active Duty military, but normally is utilized to grant the citizenship of the spouse so they can accompany the military member on an overseas assignment.  Much easier traveling on the US passport than a foreign passport.

In the early 80s a group of us military guys and are foreign wives were taking a tour from our base in Germany by bus.  Germany/Switzerland/ Lichtenstein/Austria/Italy a couple of the wives had foreign passports and was a big hassle trying to cross one of the borders, if they had US passports it would have been no problem.

Chuck
It is 3 years for a spouse of any USC.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:35 AM »
It is 3 years for a spouse of any USC.

Yes USC spouse can apply at 3 years.  My point was Military spouses can get it prior to 3 years.

Chuck

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
Yes USC spouse can apply at 3 years.  My point was Military spouses can get it prior to 3 years.

Chuck
Indeed? Would love to see a source in that. I know their 18 months presence is waived. Have not heard of 36 months PR status being waived.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »
Indeed? Would love to see a source in that. I know their 18 months presence is waived. Have not heard of 36 months PR status being waived.

As I stated earlier it was for a military dependent spouse who was accompanying their sponsor overseas.  While you may not have heard of it and why should you since it was for the military.  I did work with it during my 22+ years in the USAF.  The following is from the USCIS Policy Manual:

2. Spouses of Military Members who are or will be Stationed or Deployed Abroad (INA 319(b))
The law permits expedited naturalization in the United States for eligible spouses of U.S. citizen service members who are or will be stationed or deployed abroad. [10] This provision does not require any prior period of residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States for any LPR spouse of a U.S. citizen who is an employee of the United States Government (including a member of the U.S. armed forces) or recognized nonprofit organization who is stationed abroad in such employment for at least one year. [11]

In general, the applicant is required to be in the United States for his or her naturalization examination or interview and for taking the Oath of Allegiance for naturalization. [12]

Spouses of service members already accompanying and residing abroad with their military spouse may also qualify for naturalization through the general provision [13] or on the basis of their marriage to a U.S. citizen for three years. [14] Such spouses may be eligible for any naturalization proceeding abroad, to include interviews, filings, oaths, ceremonies, or other proceedings relating to naturalization. [15]

Above extracted from:   https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartI-Chapter9.html

Chuck

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 01:29:47 PM by bigrod »

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog