Author Topic: Introduce myself  (Read 1011 times)

Offline busydiver

Introduce myself
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:59:15 AM »

Hello everyone, like to introduce myself. I am Bernie from Minnesota. Have been a US resident my entire life but have had the chance to travel quite abit to SE Asia for my job. I have a couple of years to go before I can retire and would considering living part time/full time in the Phils. I would estimate my monthly pension to be quite comfortable in the Phils (>$5K/month) but of course thinking about the healthcare costs and staying healthy. I recently met a young filipina age 25 single who has a management position in a call center so at this time hard to say where this will lead.

I love to scuba dive and I have made a couple of trips to the country in the last 4-5 years so I have a very basic idea of the manila area and some of the outer provinces. I am not naive in thinking that retiring there would be a cake walk and I understand assimilating is a must. But I would ask anyone who can give me information regarding healthcare coverage, and any tidbits that would be helpful for me to hear would be great. BTW, I am not retired US military.

Thank you for taking the time to read my brief intro and looking forward to more conversations here.

Regards,

Bernie

Offline TonyandJelma

Re: Introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:25:55 AM »
Bernie,
   Welcome. I just wanted to say it was evident that you were not retired military because you said your monthly pension would be >5k per month. As a soon-to-be military retiree, our pension does not come anywhere close to that :) Anyway, wish you the best in your endeavors with the female friend and your retirement in the future.

Tony

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:07:05 AM »
welcome to forum and plenty of past posts on healthcare very usefull info. get phil health right away just pay 1200 peso for 1 year it does not pay much but does help. caritas is worth looking into but only covers you for anything not existing at time you get it. area you will live will determin budget and what hospitals are close and what they accept.with your income i think a keeping a emergancy fund acct only for healthcare is a good idea.5k a month is loads to live comfortably here and if gf/wife works still thats a bonus.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
Philhealth annual payment has been 2400 php since 2014.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:55:37 AM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »
Busydiver, welcome. If you have health insurance now you might check and see if you are covered outside the US and just maintain it. I carried my Blue Cross Blue Shield into retirement and still have it here. As you will learn very quickly most international health insurances are not widely accepted here, exceptions being the bigger better medical centers in Manila/Cebu, However I have found that most will work with you as a foreigner after they know you have insurance by you getting a letter of guarantee they will treat you and and allow you to pay the balance when the insurance pays you. However this is probably not true in the provinces as they live by their own rules and do things their way.
5K a month and you will live very very nice, many of us old farts are doing just fine on half that and even less. Word of caution living the extravagant lifestyle here if you can afford it. The crab mentality (If I can't have it why should you) is in full force here. Unless you are living in a nice gated subdivision with security don't be surprised if you become a target of routine theft of any items of value not bolted down.     

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
Bernie, welcome to the forum, you should be able to find some on health insurance in that section of the forum, look at the link below.
http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=116.0
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline busydiver

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »
Thanks for the posts and great information especially the one related to crab mentality...lmao on that one. However the little I know that sounds certainly true.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 04:20:53 AM »
Welcome to the group, Bernie! Get ready for a ton of "Weekend at Bernie's" jokes!  :D
Louisville, KY USA

Offline busydiver

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 05:14:39 AM »

Weekend at Bernie's jokes? ...been there many times on that one. Thanks and I have thick skin..LOL

If it is a weekend at my place you need to bring the beer...lol

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 09:42:31 AM »
But I would ask anyone who can give me information regarding healthcare coverage, and any tidbits that would be helpful for me to hear would be great. BTW, I am not retired US military.

Welcome to the forum, Bernie.

Not being US military is a negative in terms of healthcare.  I believe that at least some of the former military types get virtually 100% free coverage with no limitations. 

From what I have observed over the years, medical costs in the Phile are generally lower than in the US and other western countries, often by a significant amount.  But they can still add up. 

There is one fellow on another forum who writes and sells all kinds of books and informational material about living in the Phils, including books on how to live there and earn a decent income.  He claims considerable success and expertise and has said that he has done quite well for himself.  But one is left to question some of that, given his recent writings about requiring heart surgery and how he lacks funds to pay for it in the Phils.  He has been reduced to soliciting donations on his website and by such vehicles as GoFundMe.  If you have to resort to such tactics, I would say the living in the PI should be left to those who can manage independently.

Offline busydiver

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:41 AM »

Thank you for the additional information. I agree that retired military have an advantage regarding the healthcare coverage vs non. It is not very clear at least to me what insurance if any is available to the expats. The internet is a wonderful tool so I continue to search and enquire from various sources.

Happy New Year

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »
Just to clarify the free medical for military retirees, no most do not get it for free.  If you have TriCare which is the military medical care coverage you need to be enrolled in Medicare Part B, which is a deduction from your monthly Social Security payment.  In addition to that you pay Tricare an annual fee either at the individual or family rate, Tricare will pay up to 75% of your bill.  You also required to use the approved Doctors/Hospitals/Pharmacies here in the Philippines.  Those entitled to VA treatment are treated only for service connected illnesses/injuries.  Both the Tricare and the VA were earned(like Social Security) by the service member by committing the time(20 years normally) or sustaining injuries.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:16:56 AM by bigrod »
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »
Thanks for clarification, Chuck.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
Welcome Bernie.  Enjoy this site.  Read the info and the forums and ask any questions you need answered.  A good chance that someone on this site will be able to help.

If you prepare for it right, and you are at $5k/mo income, the stay here should be fairly comfortable and easy.  But, do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions first.  You set it up right, you should have a pretty comfortable living here.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog