Author Topic: I drink heavy each day now?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Balisidar

Re: I drink heavy each day now?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 06:58:01 AM »
I agree Ray, there are some expats who should pack up and take themselves and their attitude back to whence they came.
We built a large home in Panalipan Cebu and the local workers (Average of 14 at a time) were among the greatest mob of blokes I've ever worked with. Some were as dumb as a post but they worked their butts off and tried hard in harsh conditions. Our 2 level home was completed, rendered, tiled out and painted in four months and the end product was excellent. We supervised, paid the men above the going rate and treated them well with good food and a monthly feast. (Pic below) These guys made all the 6" blocks on site. They poured a base of 600mm x 900 foundations and 200 mm thickness floor with mesh, in one continuous pour (with a mixer) and they did that non stop taking them 27 hours!! They were remarkable. All I can say is what goes around comes around, if you treat people like dirt, guess what?
I wish I could have these guys working here in Oz.

Sacalait, I don't think you'll be happy here unless you do as many others suggest and ditch the "ugly American" attitude.
You can get your project accomplished much better I think if you aren't so directly involved.  Talk to your wife about your concerns and maybe hire someone she trusts to be the foreman on the project.  Although from the sounds of it you might have made a lot of enemies already.  If that's the case then you might want to look a bit further away for a contractor and crew.
My wife has a lot of Ilocano relatives as well and, as others have said, if their treated with respect (like most people) then they'll work hard for you.  If not then I sincerely hope you don't become a statistic.
Regards and I sincerely hope it works out for you.

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
Thanks to all who gave me advice on my project. Since my original post on this topic, I was able to find one man who can do everything from concrete, tile, carpentry, building our furniture, etc. I treat him well, and pay twice the going rate. Plus, I give bonuses each week without him knowing,(I put money in his bag when it hangs without him knowing). I send candy and chocolates home for his wife and children. Each day at 10 am and 3 pm, I give a nice snack with coffee and juice. This guy is awesome. I help him hold the big boards while nailing, and mix concrete for him. This is the kind of person you want to build anything. He is an artist with cement and wood.

I am happy to have found such a great person to build our house. He loves the fishing shows I watch, so we get along great !!! I also turned him on to Louisiana spices, and it is fun to listen to him sniffle while eating. He takes me to the hardware store,(which is a dangerous place for me? Ha ha!!). I told him not to call me "boss", but he still does?

We will go fishing once spring arrives. I am glad that I was able to find a new friend here. A very respectful man. A good friend as well.

Sacalait

Offline sacalait

• Just an American who paid way too much taxes, for others to collect???
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
I forgot to mention??? I love the chocolate cakes here !!! I can eat a whole pack with chocolate milk. Yum !!!

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »
Sacalait good for you ... it takes time to find a quality worker for sure, I went through the same issues and have at least 3 workers we can rely on to help us when needed, one guy can do it all including electrical.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Booz

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »
I'm a Filipino but I live here in HK.
I always say this to my foreign friends, don't be so trusting.
Local people will most likely take advantage of you specially in Asian countries.
Filter the "good" from the "bad".
If you trust your wife or your in-laws, let them deal with the builders first.
Observe and relay your concerns to your family and don't show any feelings to the builders.
If you spot the good ones, befriend them and let your local family remove the others.
Relationships with Filipinos are worth it if you get the good ones.

The "bad" people are usually the know-it-all, sweet-talking pieces of s*** who boasts about their far and wide experience
and don't take opinions from the one who is paying them.
Those are usually the people with balls to take advantage of foreigners like you.

When building something in the Philippines, even us locals get all these crappy shitty work even when you hire close friends and even family members.
My personal experience is to get someone from another city or town to build your house, because people in your area will know you have the money that
they can abuse.
I also don't advice on paying them too much, you are building a relationship based on money and it will have repercussions in the future.

Offline Balisidar

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 07:20:33 PM »
Escalate,  very cool.  I'm glad you found someone who would do good work for you.  Sounds like you found yourself a winner.  I'd love to see the pictures of the house when your done.  Lay down the bottle and go fishing with your new friend!   :)

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 03:36:11 AM »

I also don't advice on paying them too much, you are building a relationship based on money and it will have repercussions in the future.

I agree. Paying extra will quickly become expected as their normal pay, then youíre stuck paying the new rate and if you ever revert back to standard rate you could have issues.

Iíve made that mistake and noticed the disappointment when the extra bonus was less than the previous one, just something to be aware of and think thru carefully.
There are other ways to show appreciation; it doesnít have to be money.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 04:37:05 AM »
wish at some piont i find good people like the guy you found i am too trusting and hurt me big time but lesson learned .and like mentioned buy a family member 1 chocolate bar they expect it every time you meet buy 2 and then next time buy only 1 you instead of a happy family member you get mad or upset member just the way it is here. keep everything as cheep or simple as u can then much easyer to reward more at a later time if needed.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »
My main gripe with Filipinos is they generally have no respect for work. From the many husbands and boyfriends who live off whatever their wife can earn, to the 7/11 attendant who says "out of stock" when the shelf behind their ears is full of the item, and the motorella drivers who pass good fares because they are going for heir rice....   There are very many instances - oops - forgot to mention - the six adults in a family who decide to stay at home and drink Red Horse because their sister/daughter has found a foreign boyfriend and will pay all bills.
I am sick of this "no respect for work"attitude. I now say Filipinos are poor and hungry - and they deserve to be so because they have NO respect for work. 

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
My main gripe with Filipinos is they generally have no respect for work. From the many husbands and boyfriends who live off whatever their wife can earn, to the 7/11 attendant who says "out of stock" when the shelf behind their ears is full of the item, and the motorella drivers who pass good fares because they are going for heir rice....   There are very many instances - oops - forgot to mention - the six adults in a family who decide to stay at home and drink Red Horse because their sister/daughter has found a foreign boyfriend and will pay all bills.
I am sick of this "no respect for work"attitude. I now say Filipinos are poor and hungry - and they deserve to be so because they have NO respect for work.
One correction, SOME have no respect for work, many I have met do but I agree that those may not be the majority. It goes back to the culture, most often the boys can do no wrong and those boys grow up coddled, I think that ends up causing the attitude that SOME end up having.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Tally J

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »
Recently finished reading a book by Teodoro A. Agoncillo titled "History of the Filipino People".  The book was written in 1969 so it is a bit dated but I think it offers some insight into the Filipino culture and their view of "hard" work.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »
The "lazy" attitude is systematic and cultural.  Just like corruption, it permeates all of the society here.  The "hard workers" are far apart and few in between.

From the national companies(jolibee, lbc, etc) to the government setup, laziness is rewarded.  I get to hang around the government offices due to Tina being in the government.  The stuff I see would embarrass the most lazy government worker in the USA.  The stories I can tell. 

I can only speak from experience, but I was taught hard work is expected and a part of life.  That it is what you do and it started at age 15 working 55 hours a week for my first job over the summer after my frosh year in high school. I was building log homes on top of that so heavy labor out in the sun.  Never slowed down from there till I retired.  My dad had his own regular style construction company also that I was raised as free labor doing work there.  My construction background is probably why I got so pissed at the construction laborers here.  From the lack of knowledge to the "let's see how long we can sit on our ass and do nothing" attitude that the first and second crew I hired had.

Tina made it very clear to me how bad laborers are here in the phils.  In so many words she said if you pay them by the hour/day...they will stretch it out for as many days as they can.  Even more with me as I am a billionaire white guy(every white guy is a billionaire to locals) that can afford to pay them for 3 weeks to do a 4 day job.  And if I pay them by the job, chances are the 4 day job will be done in 4 days, but will be a very bad job.

Same thing exists in a lot of other businesses here from the public to the private.  In restos the waiters are playing grabbing a-- with the waitresses rather than bussing their tables or waiting the tables.  In businesses the staff is just walking the isles or on their phones and not stocking of helping customers.  The list goes on and on.  And as long as the bosses accept that and pay these workers, it is here to stay.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog