Author Topic: Entertainment  (Read 2102 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Entertainment
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »
I know this topic has been broached before, but I was bored and felt like typing.
Watching tv over the shoulder of family today, I felt a sudden urge to remove all of the contents from my stomach and spread them all over the floor.
The Philippines has, by far, the worst entertainment of any place I have visited on this planet.   Pick a genre, they are all horrible.    When they have musical 'entertainers', I am time warped back to the late 60's watching Lawrence Welk with my Grandmother.   

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
The Novella acting and scripting style is found all through Asia and Latin America. It has to be a reflection of the mentality.
I think I agree on the standard of musical entertainment in the Philippines. I have not come across worse anywhere in the world.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:59:35 AM »
I cannot watch any of the Filipino programs, they make me want to throw up too, some of the worst acting and always about ghosts and supernatural.  :o
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:23:56 AM »
I can understand the Filipino TV entetainment programs, because most shows are in the Tagalog language, which is the only dialect I can understand and converse in. Yeah, there are numerous shows that are pretty bad, especially their variety/game shows, soap opera style, adventure and actiion movies. I don"t even watch their Asian and or American movies dubbed in Tagalog. I do watch alot of U.S. news, movies and sports in English, which new tv series and episodes are finally catching up that are currently airing in the U.S.. Alot of these Filipino shows just turn me off, luckily there are enough shows in English to keeo me entertained and we just have basic cable service.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
My MIL never misses Eat Bulaga and is hooked on AlDub. I can't understand it but from what I see, it looks juvenile.

The worst from a visual standpoint for me is the group dancing. I always think, "Oh. Robots." It all looks so stiff and amateurish.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »
My MIL never misses Eat Bulaga and is hooked on AlDub. I can't understand it but from what I see, it looks juvenile.

The worst from a visual standpoint for me is the group dancing. I always think, "Oh. Robots." It all looks so stiff and amateurish.
"juvenile" nails it.   and again the music   UGH, I am a huge music fan and this music sucks.   Somebody mentioned this type of entertainment is all over asia, and I could not disagree more.   At least from a musical standpoint, the music in Thailand and Japan is FAR FAR FAR superior than the music entertainment here.   The Philippines lives in a world of Paul Anka and Boys to Men, and that's it, no originality, no discernible talant (other than crooning, or some dance move), nobody writes their own songs.....

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »
Yes JJ - I did mention that the Novella style is found throughout Asia but I also said the attempt at music is the worst in the world.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »
Yes JJ - I did mention that the Novella style is found throughout Asia but I also said the attempt at music is the worst in the world.
yeah you did and that is very accurate (I read it quickly), although, the comedies in Japan were superior...
Sorry bout that
Its strange too, as much as they are into the arts, I dont understand why they are stuck in their leave it to beaver world of music

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
Funny this topic comes up today as I was talking to the boss lady at dinner earlier about the same thing. The TV happened to be on while we were eating dinner, something I normally don't allow, and it was the typical cop and robber shoot em up show along with some guy banging the others wife leading to a fight and again one stabs the other killing him. I ask the GF if she knew why there was no value on life here and there is so much violent crime among the locals, she said no and i pointed to the TV. Every channel here shows the same kind of content day after day brainwashing people to believe that's normal way of life along with the cheesy gameshows.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:19:45 AM »
The Novella acting and scripting style is found all through Asia and Latin America. It has to be a reflection of the mentality.
I think I agree on the standard of musical entertainment in the Philippines. I have not come across worse anywhere in the world.

This is so true, and so sad.  There is so much amazing vocal talent.  So many, in a percentage wise look, great singers.  But what they want to sing and how the sing it is a waste of talent.  That makes me want to throw up as much as what they are singing.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
Oh my gosh yes. I have never got cable TV connected here because it is just rubbish. The absolute worst for me are the midday entertainment shows. I do not get why everyone is glued to them; "amateurish" hits the nail on the head good and proper. If it's not that, it's full on horror movies being shown at 2 in the afternoon with all the kids looking on. Does anyone police the ratings system in this country???  :-[
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline itsgalf

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:02:28 AM »
I would tend to agree.

So when my wife's family moved to Cavite, I hooked up them up so they could use my Netflix account, and hopefully avoid some of that crap Filipino drama.
It didn't quite work - instead they spend too much time watching crap shows/movies on Netflix.  :o

Offline ABCDeVil

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 11:09:31 PM »
WoW, basically I agree with the novella style shows, they are about being cute or adults behaving badly, by being in multiple relationships at the same time, disregarding the fundamental basics of married life and raising a family. Infidelity is rife and "I can love him (her) more or better than you can" is sending the worst message to millions of people here.

On shows like Eat Bulaga, at least DO give back to the people, even if it is an amusing or different way. The poorer folks, mainly from around the Manila part of the country, do get the chance to meet a few TV celebs and some get to take home some cash. So that part is "GOOD", the dance routines etc are, as people have said, armature to say the least. The audiences on these kind of shows, have some fun and enjoyment, which is not a normal part of their poorer existences. So for that part too, I am pleased for the likes of Eat Bulaga etc.

As for the movies. The more modern stuff is very poor, from the view point of the plots. I watch some of the older local movies with my asawa and mostly enjoy the more real portrayal of life then. Every now and again, a modern movie will have an amusing plot or just a well constructed storyline. But they are not the norm, but rather the exception. So those I enjoy.

There is a couple of series, like MMK, which re-enact a supposedly real story. They are on, just after lunch and MMK itself is on Saturday nights. Some of the stories are interesting, even if a bit hard to imagine, the reality and bad life circumstances some folks had/have to endure. So for the realism it depicts, I do enjoy this kind of show.

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog