Author Topic: Another 32 million Yahoo accounts breached  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
Another 32 million Yahoo accounts breached
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:54:28 AM »
Maybe long overdue for people to change to another provider, what email provider do you recommend?

Last month, Yahoo started notifying people that it had discovered yet another account breach had occurred. Apparently a forged cookie attack had been used to access a new set of accounts over the past two years. At the time, it wasn't known how many accounts had been accessed, but now we know and it's in the millions again.

Remember, Yahoo already admitted over a billion accounts were compromised in August 2013. That was followed by a further 500 million accounts being accessed in 2014. This latest breach is, relatively speaking, quite small, with only 32 million accounts being accessed.

According to Reuters, Yahoo believes these new accounts were accessed by the same "state-sponsored actor" responsible for the 2014 breach. The proprietary code running Yahoo's systems was accessed so as to learn how to forge cookies. Those unauthorized cookies were then used to access user accounts.

The cookies have since been invalidated to block further access and all affected users should have been contacted by Yahoo regarding how to re-secure their accounts. As to why hackers take the time to breach Yahoo's servers and access accounts, it turns out the data is worth something. In August last year it was revealed that some of the stolen Yahoo data was available for sale on the dark Web for $300,000.

CEO Marissa Mayer won't be receiving a cash bonus for 2016 and offered not to take any 2017 annual equity. Meanwhile, Verizon lowered the price it was willing to pay for Yahoo's core assets by $350 million to $4.48 billion. Could it fall even further now?

This article originally appeared on PCMag.com.  http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/02/another-32-million-yahoo-accounts-breached.html
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
Re: Another 32 million Yahoo accounts breached
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:48:48 PM »
What about gmail? Is this safer that Yahoo?
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:47:27 AM »
I use Hotmail, no problems so far.
Londoner at heart

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Peace Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 04:55:56 AM »
So far I have been using gmail since switching from Yahoo years ago but I never send anything that I do not expect others might read. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:41:41 AM »
Been using gmail and hotmail since I got my first HP desktop in 2001 with Windows Vista Home Basic, which Tech support expires on April 20, 2017, but luckily we have 2 laptops that has Windows 10. I guess I need to upgrade my HP desktop if compatible with Windows 10 (it's not free though) or buy a new CPU.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:25:15 AM »
hushmail.com
protonmail.com

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog