Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: You can take a Filipino out of the province, but you cant take...  (Read 5426 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
you can take a filipino out of the province but you cant take the province out of the filipino?   Is that an accurate statement?  Does it cause anybody else the slightest bit of frustrations.
My entire family is from the deep provinces, they grew up with no 'ref', no ac, ate with hands, learned little about hygiene (more along spreading of germs and brushing teeth), no clue about a healthy diet, no Dr.s, and of course there are all the superstitions that have been passed down for hundreds of years.
I am trying to raise our two nieces against all odds it seems.   
They hadnt showered in two days so I told them to take a shower (it was about 4pm), and they told me bawal, they are not allowed to take a shower after midday, they are only allowed to take a shower in the morning (because it is bad for your health).   We had chicken the other night and they told me they cant eat chicken right now because they have a cold.   They know zero about spreading germs etc...  My brothers in law and now my niece wipe their runny nose on a rag and just carry that rag around the house on their shoulder until they need to wipe it again (no hand washing either) (I put a stop to that),  sneezing and coughing with no thought of covering their mouths etc...   
My oldest sister in law claims she has a friend that can turn herself into a bat.
Every and any ailment can be cured by a massage (hilot). 
Progress I have made is, they now brush their teeth on a regular basis, for the most part they chew their food with their mouth closed, and they use a fork and spoon when they eat.   
No more snot rags, and they are understanding cover their mouths when they sneeze/cough
They are getting better about putting food in the 'ref', and actually covering the food.
I am trying to add STRUCTURE and self discipline to their lives, which is really lacking in most of this society.    I am Frustrated, sometimes I get angry, but I never give up!!!!!! 

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: You can take a Filipino out of the province, but you cant take...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
Just in a few words, "We don't use a tabo in our home, we have TP, soap and running water". In the province, a tabo of rain or creek water and two fingers will suffice. Poor Filipinos use only what's available and free. So, whatever they are accustom to is the norm for them in their daily lives, until some well to do foreigner takes them under his/her wings will they learn modern traits and values.  :o ::)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:22:22 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline piozam13

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
It is frustrating.  I admire your patience.  The progress you made is commendable.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:35:51 PM »
Just in a few words, "We don't use a tabo in our home, we have TP, soap and running water". In the province, a tabo of rain or creek water and two fingers will suffice. Poor Filipinos use only what's available and free. So, whatever they are accustom to is the norm for them in their daily lives, until some well to do foreigner takes them under his/her wings will they learn modern traits and values.  :o ::)

A cousin of Tina's refuses to give up the tabo.  He works on american cruise ships now and has for a while.  He's moved himself up to management levels(of departments not the ship).  He's OCD and very much a very clean man.  Has always brushed his teeth and taken damn good care of his body.  He just cannot give up the tabo as he says it cleans better than any TP ever will.  Being OCD he washes his hands completely after every bathroom use.  He understands germs and hates them but will not give up the tabo.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
you can take a filipino out of the province but you cant take the province out of the filipino?

Menchu's family, at least the part that I know, are mostly from Cotabato or General Santos. The province to a lot of you (as is Davao, where we live) but certainly not the boondocks which is how I think of "the provinces". We keep a tabo in the bathroom off of the patio, for visitors. Many people even here in Davao can't afford TP so a tabo is what they know.

Most of the superstitions I see are those that family post on Facebook. Menchu's mother is forever posting some miracle cure or another. Just yesterday, a male family member posted a warning about eating a hard boiled egg followed by a banana. You see, in the stomach, the combination creates a poison that killed this one guy...

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:14:49 PM »
I reread my posting and I hope I am not giving the wrong impression of them at all.   They are all great people, and we have a solid family.   One could try and read between the lines of what I wrote and come up with,  geez is he living with street people..  that is absolutely NOT the case.

It is more of, some of the things I take for granted are commonly practiced

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
jjcabgou the tabo wash is actually more hygienic and if I'm not mistaken most of europe and other countries also uses this form of wash so we practice that also.  No showers in the evening is practiced in our region also, same with don't eat chicken if you have a cold. 

I too make sure we have clean sterile sink rags we change them daily and also hand towels, we also sterilize the cutting boards or the in-laws will let them go black same with the rags, I'm constantly after my kids and grandkids to wash their hands, brush their teeth wash the glasses and it's a challenge to get them to shower daily the in-laws many neighbors shower once a week it looks, smells like so allot of bad role models around us, I remind kids that the brother in-laws are working with a couple teeth to chew with and if they don't brush they will be dealing with the same lovely vampire look but it's like I'm wasting my breath.

Another bad habit is leaving the shoes in the way of doors or direct pathways at the top of the stairs I consider that very dangerous and getting the food or leftovers into the fridge.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:14:34 AM »
jjcabgou the tabo wash is actually more hygienic and if I'm not mistaken most of europe and other countries also uses this form of wash so we practice that also.

I refuse to surrender my tabo.

My first Filipina gf, almost 25 years ago, commented to me early on "Most white people don't wash; they just use toilet paper.  It's disgusting mahal!".  She always used a tabo, followed by soap and water hand washing.  I immediately converted and have eschewed the demon tp ever since.  That has probably also done a service to our forests and waterways.  If on a septic system, much less junk for it to deal with (or not). 

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:50:40 AM »
jjcabgou the tabo wash is actually more hygienic and if I'm not mistaken most of europe and other countries also uses this form of wash so we practice that also. 
I agree.  Same here in Middle East and many other parts of the world.
Really can't imagine not using a bidet for cleansing after using the toilet.  We have installed in our new house in Davao, not this actual one, its just a pic I pulled off the internet, but same thing.
Londoner at heart

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »
I agree.  Same here in Middle East and many other parts of the world.
Really can't imagine not using a bidet for cleansing after using the toilet.  We have installed in our new house in Davao, not this actual one, its just a pic I pulled off the internet, but same thing.
I never mentioned the Tabo, I was talking about other 'normal' daily routines, one of which included not really understanding how germs are spread.    How one cleans his or her fartbox is something I am not privy to

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »
I never mentioned the Tabo, I was talking about other 'normal' daily routines, one of which included not really understanding how germs are spread.    How one cleans his or her fartbox is something I am not privy to
I mentioned it in passing, but I didn't know others on here were adamant about their tabos in their household.  :o
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »
We actually use the Bidet but in power outages for sure the tabo is still located in all bathrooms, David690 that's a serious bidet photo'd I haven't seen that model sold but it sure looks effective and not so many parts to deal with.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Think I would prefer this, but I still have to wipe butt after to dry it.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-12b68ba62f6b39a083d9a3ed349fce7f-p

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
We have a handheld bidet/spray in our master bath. Menchu was adamant about it. Plus we have wet wipes and TP. And...and...this is turning into a TMI thread.  :D

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
We actually use the Bidet but in power outages for sure the tabo is still located in all bathrooms, David690 that's a serious bidet photo'd I haven't seen that model sold but it sure looks effective and not so many parts to deal with.
No power required, just a normal tap connected to water system.
Londoner at heart