Author Topic: Importing Classic Cars  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Traco

Importing Classic Cars
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
Hi, this is my first post. I\'m considering retiring soon with my Filipina wife back in the Phils but was wondering if I can import and maybe even drive my classic cars there (all British)? All RHD of course, could be converted over if necessary (there). Anyone know what freight shipping is like from Australia to Phils?

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Re: Importing Classic Cars
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »
Hey traco,

I\'m from Sydney, good to see you found a *premier* site.
No pun on our outdated licence plates!

I think you will find that you can\'t import
a car more than 5 years old and no bigger eng. capacity than 2Litres.

The problem is that I am not sure about classic cars. If you were allowed,
the cost of customs duties would be prohibitive. Maybe other members
can give you a better idea on the classic car angle than me.

Graham

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »
There is no provision for importing classic or antique cars to the Philippines. If there were I would have brought my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T with me. But knowing now what I didn\'t know then where would I be able to drive it properly ? Most of the roads here are in bad condition and there\'s the matter of getting parts.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
I also believe, not sure, that if you import a RHD car you have to bring the conversion kit with it. You are not allowed to drive RHD cars here, even though a lot of Filipinos driver spend more time on the left side ;D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »
Very cost prohibitive, even if you got past the 5 year max and max engine size.  Let\'s say your car is only 3 years old and has only a 1.8 liter engine.  You would still be charged full price for the car, plus import duties.  No way would I do that. 

What Paul says about parts is also important.  Finding, importing and paying import duties for a starter for a 1949 Morgan for instance would cost more than a fully functional used car!   :o

I use the Morgan as an example only for expediency sake.  I couldn\'t think of another classic British car other than a Rolls Royce or Bentley.   ;D

They simply will make it so expensive to import, you\'d never be able to pay the fee.  Then you\'d also have to pay to ship the cars back or lose them to the crocodiles in Customs.  Forget importing them.  Sorry!   :)
Louisville, KY USA

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »
I brought mine in under the classic car of historical value rule.  Still nightmare.  I brought in my 1974 ford f100 with a 360 inch V8. Someone in customs wanted it so it got stuck in customs for a year.  In addition my customs broker was a total moron.  He cleared the vehicle at the north port where it was at and then proceeded to take all the paperwork to the exact same offices in the south port for reasons known only to himself and Satan.

Thanks to the 2009 financial collapse, I had to sell my cherished toy.

Offline cebukid

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »

Very interesting subject. Used to hang around the drag strip in Mississippi when I was growing up in the 60's...I have seen a couple of old 1969-71 Chevy Chevelle SS 396's here in Cebu City since living here. Blew me away! Don't have a clue who they belonged to. Also a 2011 Corvette, at SM Mall about 6 months ago. Must have cost a pretty penny as we say in the states, to get them here...!

I was drooling... :P

Hey traco,

I\'m from Sydney, good to see you found a *premier* site.
No pun on our outdated licence plates!

I think you will find that you can\'t import
a car more than 5 years old and no bigger eng. capacity than 2Litres.

The problem is that I am not sure about classic cars. If you were allowed,
the cost of customs duties would be prohibitive. Maybe other members
can give you a better idea on the classic car angle than me.

Graham
R Bell
Cebu City

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »
If you absolutely need a Camaro the Chevy dealer now sells them.  You can also get that Chevy midsize pickup here now from the dealer. 

Save the headache and buy a local made Chevy or Ford from the dealer.  The little Ranger diesels are pretty tough.

I have a 96 Chevy Astro grey market now and it is a pain to get replacement parts. Only upside it is 4x4 and I can haul a lot of steel in it.  The guys at the steel dealer used to be amazed to load steel into my beater. Not so much now after the 100th trip.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »
I would of loved to have had imported my 2 mint condition classic 1966 Ford Mustangs when I retired 19 yrs ago in 1997. It just wasn't cost effective even back in those days! 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:45:40 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
Your wife maybe able to import one car if she has won the lottery

Is the imported vehicle subject to taxes and duties?

Yes. Whether brand-new or used, purchased or donated, the imported vehicle is subject to 40% Customs duty, 10% VAT and Ad Valorem Tax from 15% to 100% depending on its piston displacement. Its book value serves as the tax base and not the purchase price nor the acquisition cost. The book value is sourced from universally accepted motor vehicle reference books such as the Red Book, Blue Book, World Book depending on the origin of the imported vehicle.

Are spare parts sent with the motor vehicle also taxable?

Yes. These are taxed separately.

How can we inquire the taxes and duties payable?

By writing and providing information about the vehicle as to the make, brand, year model, piston displacement, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or chassis number or sending a copy of the registration to:

Valuation Center & Library Bureau of Customs
South Harbor, Manila and One Stop Processing Center
Motor Vehicle
Manila International Container Port
North Harbor, Manila

Are there other charges aside from taxes and duties?

Yes. There are other non-customs charges that may be due on the shipment such as: storage and arrastre fees which may be collected by the privately-owned arrastre operator; by the shipping line and wharfage dues by the Philippine Ports Authority.

How important is the prior import authority (pia)?

It is very important if the vehicle would not qualify as brand-new as herein defined. A used motor vehicle not covered by PIA shall be seized and may only be released upon payment of heavy penalties on top of the taxes and duties due thereon.
How is PIA obtained?

By submitting to BIS a duly accomplished application form which may be obtained from it and the following documents duly authenticated by the nearest Philippine Consulate abroad where the car-owner resides:

Proof of his continuous stay abroad for at least one (1) year;

Copy of the registration papers showing that the vehicle is registered in his name for at least six (6) months;

Proof that the car was acquired out of the earnings abroad.

Bureau of Import Services
3rd Flr., Welding Industries of the Philippines Building
Makati City, Metro Manila
Tel. No. (632)895-7466

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »
It's OK by me and I know others will agree that it's just as well and good that the Philippine government makes it difficult and expensive to import vehicles into the country, when there are already too many vehicles as it is congesting the Philippine's roads and highways to date, but allow avid vehicle collectors of classic vehicles to keep and maintain their vehicles at a cost by LTO mandates and restrict their use on the roads and highways just a few hours a day during the week for pleasure during non rush hour traffic via color coding and or sanctioned special events on certain weekends by auto clubs. Other vehicle restrictions should be per one vehicle for every parking space for residential households and or for businesses with ample parking for their service fleet of vehicles from and to their delivery destinations.
Actually, the Philippine government should get rid all of the old vehicles in disrepair and restrict the import of new vehicles until such a time the congestion problem by regions in the Philippines has been resolved. I sure would like to see that happen in my life time and not 50 yrs from now.   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:31:39 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

bisaya, cebuano, cebuano lessons, bisaya lessons
Romantic Tagalog